A little something different... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 9th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #16
Still Motion

I was going to ask the same thing as Mike, but I was wary of starting another debate.

I agree with what your saying above about this appealing to certain couples and being the grooms favourite piece. The dancing montage you couldn't get to load earlier is an example of how we try and bring that into the video. We take a take the editing to a different level but keep more of the content in there by using reception and mainly dancing footage. We have also experimented with some groom preps clips done to sublime and things like that which are very fast paced and different.

Thanks for sharing Glen.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #17
Major Player

Please everybody, continue to post your clips.

When I view them I find myself looking at the camera angles and transitionary points more each time. I see a lot of scenes that would normally be labled "uneventful" turned into very appealing segments based on what you guys do in post - *regardless* of music. Heck, after the first run-through I even turn the sound off just to make sure I'm looking at the video and not getting too caught up in the tune.

So again, please continue to share your post-editing skills. Mine have improved ten fold (I think) as a result of this and I do believe, that's part of what DVI is all about.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #18
Major Player

Hey Glen,

I remember you posting something like this some months back . I'm glad the usual suspects this time are more fun and game in front of the camera and that you've perfected the sequence.

great use of text and filters.
Very very nice.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
And Patrick....

On the other hand, I do think this is a good example of style over content and found that while it looked amazing, it got repetitive pretty quickly and there wasn't much meaning in the footage.

[snip]

I should say that I am also biased as I don't do a credits piece simply because I see it as something that well it owuld be nice to show off for the first 15 seconds, is not liklely to be repeatedly watched, like a preps or highlights clip. Do you offer solid packages now that come with certain clips, or do you do each one as it comes?
That really depends. It's usually the groom's favorite part of the video...and often IS indeed watched several times. However that would depend on the couple...I'd assume that couples who wouldn't watch it more than once wouldn't pay the money to have one produced.

Thanks for the input.
OTOH, the credits may be the most important part of the video long term. 20 Years from now, the kids will be watching and may not recognize everyone. 50 years from now the B&G will be watching and may not recognize everyone (who are these people honey?). 100 years from now, no one will recognize anyone....

I think it is cool to spend the time to dress them up. I bet the entire wedding party wants their own copies too. A little extra income, Glen??
Old December 12th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #20
Wrangler

This DVD hasn't been delivered yet thus I won't know if the bridal party would want their own copy. Interesting idea, however more than likely the couple will make additional copies of their own.

Some videographers get upset by this- however it really doesn't bother me. I'm not trying to make my money on extra copies. If they spend enough for your services you shouldn't have to nickel and dime them for extra copies...at least anything beyond being paid for the few minutes of time it takes to burn and print them plus the materials. I always give a good amount of copies with my packages. I figure if they have more copies they'll be more inclined to pass the extra copies around to friends and family. To me that free marketing.
Old December 13th, 2005, 01:32 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Damn Glen - I'd love to see this clip, but it was removed so fast. I hope it wasn't because of these stupid "music" comments.

Give a brother a couple days... :-)
James Landsburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #22
Major Player

yeah, I missed it too, Glen. How 'bout a repost for those of us a couple of days late?
Thanks either way.
Vin
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Judging by the number of responses on this board and VU, I think it's pretty clear why the clip had to be pulled. Maybe we should try to figure out bittorrent for online clips to ease bandwidth for those who are sharing. I can't crack it myself.

CW
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #24
Wrangler

Removed link.
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:04 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
I've chosen to rehost it for a few days for those who haven't seen it....

http://home.comcast.net/~g.elliott3///Credits.wmv
You rock Glen! Thanks a bunch...
James Landsburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 06:44 AM   #26
Major Player

Thanks for reposting, Glen. Very nice work, indeed (like we expected anything else?)
Vin
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #27
Major Player

GLEN!!!

Thanks for reposting that. I loved it, even though I had to wait 30 minutes due to my (emperor palpatine voice) "pitiful dialup."

The cuts, the fun. Yeah. Now that's a great extra for a wedding vid and love the music.

I've been doing dance recitals and am looking at getting into wedding videography and you're one of the people I look to for inspiration.

You set the bar pretty high.

If I can produce just half the quality that you display I know that I'll be on my way. I'll just need to work my way up the other half of your quality. From here that's quite a climb.

Well done.

sincerely,

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #28
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Slessor
GLEN!!!

Thanks for reposting that. I loved it, even though I had to wait 30 minutes due to my (emperor palpatine voice) "pitiful dialup."

The cuts, the fun. Yeah. Now that's a great extra for a wedding vid and love the music.

I've been doing dance recitals and am looking at getting into wedding videography and you're one of the people I look to for inspiration.

You set the bar pretty high.

If I can produce just half the quality that you display I know that I'll be on my way. I'll just need to work my way up the other half of your quality. From here that's quite a climb.

Well done.

sincerely,

ian
Thanks Ian for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Old December 17th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #29
Regular Crew

YEAH! Awesome work as usual. It's been awhile since I've looked at your stuff, but every time I do...man oh man.

You still using Vegas? I know you were experimenting with FCP also.
David McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #30
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McKnight
YEAH! Awesome work as usual. It's been awhile since I've looked at your stuff, but every time I do...man oh man.

You still using Vegas? I know you were experimenting with FCP also.
Thanks Dave. Yeah still on Vegas- I sold my G5.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques