Record DVD live on fly at event? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 29th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #16
Trustee

I have a GL2 and have done what you are talking about (record direct to DVD while simultaneously recording to tape.) It works fine. I used the firewire input on the CD recorder: a $150 Wal-Mart model.

If you are concerned about the quality of the finished product, you could include a slip of paper with the DVD offering a professionally produced DVD of the entire evening's performances at an additional cost. This way, the participant could get the impulse item, and later get a better quality copy.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #17
Major Player

DVD-R vs +R

You may need to be prepared to offer the customer to replace which ever format you choose, with the other format if the customer's copy fails to play in their home DVD player. Simply copying the contents of a -R to a +R (or vice-versa) on a computer would do the trick. Something to keep in mind. I still have recordable disc compatibility issues from my stand alone DVD+R/RW or my computer recorder when it comes to playing those discs in stand alone DVD players. Some will play + discs fine, others will only do -.
Have you considered doing printable discs, so you could have the club's logo preprinted, ready to record to? Obviously better than sharpie marker scrawl.
2 DVD recorders would give you more cushion to edit / title / finalize the one disc while being ready to record the next paying performer on the other recorder that's already standing by.
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:21 AM   #18
Major Player

These are some very valid points... Because I know at the various church events I record a lot of the older folk are demanding a copy which includes everything (even John doing song service singing off key)... At a few of those events I didn't take the song service... This burning to dvd idea sounds good it can pacify a lot of the folk who don't like the documentary style (editing).

I wonder though... since I would like to incorporate 2 cams a 20D for stills
and now this burning on the fly... Can one man be that organized? I don't think there such a thing as being too organized, but what about doing too much where you burn yourself out? Any thoughts??

Ohh yeah happy new year... to those on the east coast.
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:35 AM   #19
Wrangler

A well trained assistant is worth their weight in gold. And knowing how to delegate, means you, as the head of the business, can focus on the customer's needs, and grow your business.

I only do videography part time, but I have two really good assistants, that have tripled what I would have otherwise made, by myself.
Old January 1st, 2006, 12:44 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
A well trained assistant is worth their weight in gold. And And knowing how to delegate, means you, as the head of the business, can focus on the customer's needs, and grow your business.

I only do videography part time, but I have two really good assistants, that have tripled what I would have otherwise made, by myself.

Thanks for the input... it will go a long way.
Dante Waters is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques