The importance of the dress at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 1st, 2006, 04:00 AM   #1
Inner Circle

The importance of the dress

Just thought I'd mention it but there was a pull-out supplement with the Times this week that was entitled, 'Preparing for your wedding' or somesuch. It made an interesting read for me as a wedding photographer, because it took me by the ears and told me how many tens of hours and how much money and how many catalogues and how many changing rooms and how many decisions go into the choice of the wedding dress.

It's an eye-opener for a Marks and Spencer shopper like me (those socks and those undies, please. Ting! Thank you and good bye). It's pulled me up smartish, and rammed home the importance of filming the bride from top to toe, front, back and sides. This dress she's wearing has cost her dear, so better we all remember to show her how good she looks in it on the day.

I got one bride to 'walk with attitude', bouquet held high, from the front door of the hotel, past reception, down the hall, into the bar, out the other side and onto the dance floor. I followed her, super-wideangle in place (think Krubrick, The Shining) as she wafted along, dress billowing out behind her. As luck would have it (we make our own, don't we) she arrived on the dance floor to be greeted by a girl friend, who hugged her like her life depended on it.

Wonderful. I never do this but I did this time: I rewound the tape and showed her the sequence on the camera's side screen. Best man? I was second only to her groom, I can tell you.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 05:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Too true,

Some of the thought they put into their special day can be overlooked when you are there getting your shots, everything is picked to go with their wedding dress so I always get as many shots as possible, head to toe of the dress when they are getting ready.
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 06:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

as far as im concerned the dress is as important as the detail shots of her face... lol

no seriously.. so many forget the DETAILS....
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2006, 07:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
as far as im concerned the dress is as important as the detail shots of her face... lol

no seriously.. so many forget the DETAILS....
So true Peter.
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques