For those that have shot HD/HDV. How do you distribute to Bride&Groom? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 11th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Cruz
I provide HD Masters as an option to my packages. Their DVDs are in SD but they get to keep the masters which are in HD. Whether they come back to me in a few years to edit the HD Masters (as a new paying project) and produce/author in HD or if they do it themselves or even have someone else do it, is up to them. =]
Hypothetical... "someone else" does it and does a crappy job. The final product has your company name all over it.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:34 AM   #17
Inner Circle

"Hypothetical... "someone else" does it and does a crappy job. The final product has your company name all over it."

THANK YOU SIR!!!
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
Hypothetical... "someone else" does it and does a crappy job. The final product has your company name all over it.
That's certainly possible, but since we can't prevent that from happening then what's delivered to clients is largely irrelevant to that issue. Plus if you deliver HD video at less than optimal quality, wouldn't that compromise the impression people get of your company more than the obscure risk of someone botching duplication or editing of the video in the future? Is it likely someone would re-edit a wedding video and leave the original production company name on the new version?

I can see both sides of this issue, but in the end I suspect most of us will deliver HD wedding videos in the format which is most convenient and desirable for both us and our clients. In some cases that will be full-quality HDV on blue-laser discs, and in other cases it will be more compressed formats on other types of media. Maybe it's time to start taking advantage of the latest copy-protection options, but other than that it seems rather pointless to be concerned about all this.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #19
Regular Crew

If someone else decides to edit the raw footage and they do a crappy job, how will our company name be all over it? In our case, we do not offer raw footage without having a produced DVD as part of the package. The DVD that we produced has our company name on it (intro sequence) but the raw footage masters are just untouched footage on tape. The client will associate the quality of our DVD production with our company name.

If someone in the future edits the raw footage and does a crappy job, should we worry about lowball tactics of people trying to put in some text trying to to claim that we did the crappy job? And if someone sends off their footage to be worked on, only to find that the new editor did a crappy editing job compared to the work we produced on our DVDs, who would the client blame? I would think that the question that would arise is "Well if X company produced a beautiful dvd yet this new company produced this junky DVD...what in the world is this new company doing? We need to go back to company X".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
Christopher Cruz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques