Rhode Video Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 10th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Rode Video Mic

A while back I had some discussion with Peter J. about the Rode Video Mic. Peter was a bit critical of it because it would pick up a lot of external noise. My setup had the hot shoe connector unscrewed and on my PD-170 I had the shotgun holder removed and the video mic attached with a plate (which probably helped insolate the mic) and I sorta discounted this issue he brought up.

Anyway, I recently tried the mic as it's design was intended, using the hot shoe connector, and I'm definately picking up a lot of camera noise as Peter had noted. An unacceptable amount to noise. I was actually picking up a medium pitch hum which I believe is the cameras tape motor drive. I can minimize the noise with the camera's wind setting to "ON" but the consequence is very reduced low frequency response. Bottom line: I don't recommend this mic.

Last edited by Craig Terott; January 10th, 2006 at 11:09 AM.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

if going for a rode, try the NTg1, specially if ur using a PD unit.. no reason not to use XLRs...

a lil more expensive but its phantom powered and is a lil flatter than the Senny K6/ME64 combo. But its flat so it gives u some good levels to mess with in post, whereas the sennys are a lil hot (throughout the whole range of mics in fact)

i cant remember what the rode videomic wind cut rollof is, not offhand as im not in the office (at home in the studio bludging... ) but mount the mic to a cam teh way its intended, mount the cam on a tripod. now put on some headfones...
run ur finger along teh tripod leg.. down up either way..
what do u hear...

imagine this at a wedding reception, or upstairs on a wooden balcony, a loud PA with decent sized subs...
useless IMO..
U know whats funny, the mic was actually released WITHOUT the shockmount.. once we got our hands on it and we ran tests and went nuts (we were to distribute them) we got back to them with afew ideas whch they took onboard.
But i can tell u compared to the senny MK300, the sound on its own IS nicer, but its marred by VERY poor design..
The battery is the killer as the whole unit is structured on it.

Good mic capsule, but thats about it..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, despite the claims... not a professional sounding mic because even with the isolation base it still picks up too much noise. It's just another piece of hardware in my long list of trials & errors.

I just bought the NTG-1. I'll have it by Friday.
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #4
Major Player

All is not lost with this mic though - I may find a use for it on a mic stand? Or will I pick up the footsteps of people walking across the floor??? Arrrrggggg!!!!!!!
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #5
Inner Circle

"Or will I pick up the footsteps of people walking across the floor??? "

sorry to say mate... thud thud thud
Old January 13th, 2006, 04:16 AM   #6
Major Player

Are any of you familiar with the seinheisser MKE300D?
Do you know if this would be a better mic than the Rhode Video Mic?
Its just I'm looking for one at the moment and as the usual story goes, don't want to spend a fortune on one.
Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #7
Inner Circle

"Are any of you familiar with the seinheisser MKE300D?"

Yes...

((A lil hotter in pickup, shock sensitivity isnt as pronounsed as the Rode, reason being teh Senny capsule runs along a suspended open tube (pull the foam off and have a look.. the foam is held to the unit with velcro))

"Its just I'm looking for one at the moment and as the usual story goes, don't want to spend a fortune on one."

What camera are u using?? There ar quite afew options open to u depending on how much ur willing to spend...
Old January 13th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
"Are any of you familiar with the seinheisser MKE300D?"

Yes...

((A lil hotter in pickup, shock sensitivity isnt as pronounsed as the Rode, reason being teh Senny capsule runs along a suspended open tube (pull the foam off and have a look.. the foam is held to the unit with velcro))

"Its just I'm looking for one at the moment and as the usual story goes, don't want to spend a fortune on one."

What camera are u using?? There ar quite afew options open to u depending on how much ur willing to spend...
Its for a Canon XM2, I was thinking of the rhode as its about £100, stereo and sat really far away from the camera so I thought it would keep down handling noise. The MKE300D are about £160, I didn't want to spend more than that.
Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 04:16 AM   #9
Inner Circle

either way u go youll get comparable results.

Peronally, id recommend the XM2/GL2 Balun and a shotgun mic, but thats going way over ur budget...

on the other hand, Rode and Senny each have released their own dedicated shockmounts, so if noise DOES become an issue at least u have that option.

Id recommend u go out and take ur cmaera with u.. grab a set of headfnes and tests the 2 and see how u go

Thats the only YOULL be able to work out what works for you...
Old January 14th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #10
Major Player

That does make sense Peter.
Thank you for your help.
Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques