First clip for review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 12th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #1
Trustee

First clip for review

Ok, I'm not comfortable with this at all... but here's my first submission. This is from the second wedding I ever shot. It's the first three minutes of a longer recap of the day's events.

www.famousdavispro.com/preparations.wmv

Please be kind. ;)
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Well, personally, I am not a big fan of using the same transition throughout the piece. And the fade to black was really dark much too long in my opinion. Other than that, it seemed like you captured the mood pretty well. I would have tried to avoid having the photographer in the shot, or made him a more central part, one or the other.

But what do I know. I don't shoot weddings. Way too much stress involved.
Old January 12th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Cool Clip

Very good

What are you using for overhead and camera motion-- jib ??

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for the comments. I realize as a stand-alone piece, this moves very slow. The pace picks up considerably after this segment. I guess I was trying to match the mood and pace of the music. Good point about the photographer. It almost seems like he was just someone who got in the way, it would have looked better if I had been back a bit more.

No jib, I'm using the patented Glen Elliott wide-angle lens on a monopod technique!
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis
No jib, I'm using the patented Glen Elliott wide-angle lens on a monopod technique!
Thanks. I will have to mess with that technique a bit.

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #6
Major Player

for you're second wedding.. well done; I like what I see. I'll point out your strenghts.. first off, you're use of motion worked well so I think you have the right idea. Keep it up and perfect that. Also it seemed as if you worked your edits around the music; it was slow and your effects were also (i'll second the above about the fade timings). I also noticed you got some good close up shots.

Here are my constructive opinions: be careful of overusing the motion shots and cut away to a rack focus or a still-close-up-shot, or dutching/zooming(pulling) shot, get creative with your angles. Also, try going in the with the thought that "im going to use my wide angle lens for creative shots, not all of my shots/motion shots..." there is a lot you can do with a standard wide angle that doesn't destort your image. Also, you have a tremendous amount of creative power in the editing room, use it to your advantage, ask for music that has beats you can cut to. Last thing, I don't know what type of camera you're using, but boost the colors; and in some of your edits use a black & white effect, and whatever you do stay away from cheezy edit transitions.

Feel free to visit our website & view our gallery for ideas (BTW our first wedding "ever" is posted online.. can you find it?) Im running a quicktime server that I need to change, so I hope the video playback holds up.

www.visualmasterpiece.com

good job, let me know if I can help further!
Michael Padilla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques