Slide Shows - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #16
Echoes from the Backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger
DPI does matter if your doing zooms, etc.
Only if the output is printed. It's the overall dimensions in pixels that are relevant, not the dpi.

DPI is more a by-product than anything else when it comes to video display, because a standard NTSC video has the same resolution whether it's a 13" or 65" screen - It will never exceed 720x480.
Old January 28th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #17
Regular Crew

David is right, editing apps and AE are resolution independent. They just care about number o dots.

However, try to tell a client "I need 1200x1700 pixels" and they look at you like you are from mars. I just tell them at least 300 dpi.

m
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #18
New Boot

File format?

When scanning images to import into my NLE which format should I save them in? I usually save in JPG... is this the best format to be using?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Bettendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #19
Major Player

I typically scan to a tiff file only because it's a lossless format. Jpegs are compressed and detail is lost in that process. Now, for some video applications, you would never notice the difference between a good jpeg and a tiff file, but I've always been one to save in a lossless format when file size doesn't matter.

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #20
Sponsor: JET DV

Some NLE's don't like tif's as well as other formats. PNG and PSD are usually good formats as well.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #21
Major Player

Really? Tiff is such a standard format, it seems odd that any modern nle wouldn't like them. I use FCP and it handles tiffs very well.

Regardless, png and psd formats are lossless and perfectly fine to use as well. And psd's can be more flexible if the nle allows the layers to import.

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #22
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Graves
I give a discount to those who scan the pictures themselves and put them onto a cd. I actually prefer that because I hate scanning....
Have you dealt with couples scanning it themselves only to get the images on the CD full of dust and lint? The time saved in properly scanning is taken up with cleaning up the scans in a paint program.
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Cheryl
Have you dealt with couples scanning it themselves only to get the images on the CD full of dust and lint? The time saved in properly scanning is taken up with cleaning up the scans in a paint program.
I agree and would rather just scan the things myself. Depending on the size, I usually gang scan 4 - 6 pics at a time anyway and let photoshop crop 'em with a mouse click. Always 300 dpi because they're typically pretty small.

While digital pics are becoming more standard, it'll be some time before scanning is obsolete. (In my backyard anyway).
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele
.... I usually gang scan 4 - 6 pics at a time anyway and let photoshop crop 'em with a mouse click.
Anyone who's ever scanned photos on a flatbed knows that however careful you are when lowering the lid, at least one or two photos will rotate a bit.

For anyone who might not know, Photoshop CS has a great feature that after the scan, you can tell it to crop each photo as well as straighten any that are crooked.

The command is: File -> Automate -> Crop & Straighten Photos

Usually it's pretty accurate and is a real time saver when you're doing a big batch.
Tom Tomkowiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tomkowiak
For anyone who might not know, Photoshop CS has a great feature that after the scan, you can tell it to crop each photo as well as straighten any that are crooked.
Same goes for Photoshop "Elements". Does all I need for a lot less money. (and brain power).
Rick Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques