Slide Shows at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 12th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Slide Shows

I am starting to do more slide show videos for couples using stills. I give a discount to those who scan the pictures themselves and put them onto a cd. I actually prefer that because I hate scanning.... anyways, I tell them to use 150 dpi when scanning. Is this what everyone else uses for slide show quality?
Jennifer Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Major Player

I would consider 150 dpi a minimum. Even higher is I expect to do a lot of panning and zooming within the photograph.

I used to prefer scanning photos myself because I had the option of re-scanning at a higher resolution if I felt I needed to do so. however, I recently discvovered that clients generally provide images at their camera's highest resolution which is usually better than 150dpi. I can always resize if I need to do so.
Old January 12th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #3
Major Player

For 4x6's and 5x7's, 300dpi is a safer margain. For 8x10's and larger, 150dpi is ok. That's what I used in the past.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #4
Major Player

it's nice to get them as hi-res as possible, but they will just get sized down anyway, at least in our case. we use fcp for the slideshows and huge images tend to cause jaggies, especially with ken burns-esque motion. photoshop is better at interpolating the images down than fcp.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

150 dpi up to 300dpi with enlargement up to about 300% to give some spacial leverage

Try not to throw on pics with stupidly high pixel counts coz the downscaling that ur NLE will do will slow down your processing immensly.

Keep it simple and youll get a good workflow, in the end, u dont really want to throw on a 6mb jpg to the timeline coz itll jsut chunder away.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #6
Major Player

I tend to stick with 300dpi, mostly for the zoom/pan reasons stated above. I don't find it bogs down my render times noticeably-if it did I would deal with the extra time, as the results are worth it to me. Of course any pics I don't have to scan at all is a bonus...
Vin
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I usually do it at 600 dpi, mainly because I also use Imagematics StillMotion Creator for the "Ken Burns effect." That's as high as anyone should ever go.
John Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

If you scan them yourself you can also boost the contrast, retouch, color correct, and just plain deliver a better product, most customers are horrible at scanning.

Bill
Bill Dooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #9
Regular Crew

not too far off subject

I am having trouble getting my photo's that are not the same H & W to show up full screen without showing empty black screen on the sides. Can anyone fill me in on what they do, im sure it is somthing simple. I am useing photo shop and pro show gold to do my slide show. I have Primere pro, after effects and encore as well. Advice?
Eugene Bare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #10
Major Player

When croppping use the same or similiar aspect ratio of your project. I use 500 x 480 crop tool to minimize the black bars on the side for 720 by 480 project.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #11
Major Player

I usually scan photos at 300dpi. Accepting scans from clients has been problematic in the past, so I prefer to do it myself. 300 dpi usually gives you enough room to zoom, pan, etc. I'd say 98% of the photos in my slideshows have motion, so I don't usually crop them to eliminate empty (black) space on the sides of the screen. I can't stand having empty space (black bars) on the screen as it seems so boring.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #12
Major Player

I agree with other and prefer scanning myself. It's not much fun, but you do have so much more control over then scan quality. Plus, I'm always worried that the client will show others, but omit that the bad scans were their own, leaving a potential client to think I scanned the images that poorly.

I've also found that After Effects does an AWESOME job with photo montages. When bringing hi-res images into FCP, it didn't do well, and I got jaggies and flicker a lot. Doing the same show in AE looks perfect, albeit forever long render times. I know that not everyone has AE, but if you do, it's so much better than FCP for montages with hi-res images. Just FYI.

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #13
Echoes from the Backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Graves
anyways, I tell them to use 150 dpi when scanning. Is this what everyone else uses for slide show quality?
Actually, DPI doesn't matter. It's only relevant if you were going to output a print.

What matters is the overall dimensions and the absolute minimum is 720x480. If you plan on doing any Ken Burns type effects, then you will have to have larger dimensions.
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chandler-Gick
Actually, DPI doesn't matter. It's only relevant if you were going to output a print.

What matters is the overall dimensions and the absolute minimum is 720x480. If you plan on doing any Ken Burns type effects, then you will have to have larger dimensions.

DPI does matter if your doing zooms, etc.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Graves
I am starting to do more slide show videos for couples using stills. I give a discount to those who scan the pictures themselves and put them onto a cd. I actually prefer that because I hate scanning.... anyways, I tell them to use 150 dpi when scanning. Is this what everyone else uses for slide show quality?

Jennifer....re think giving discounts for anything, you problably already put in a ton of hours with the edits, stick to your rates. I bet if you didn't give a discount for your client scanning their own pics, they would still pay your standard rate with no complaints.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques