When do you use tripod at the weddings? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:08 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
Do you ever have trouble with vibration, from the wheels rolling on less than smooth floors, when shooting something like that?
I had a wedding on a carpet that was, umm........... these little squares. As soon as I walked in I felt it. Sortof like that little bathroom tile, only carpet. I just had to go slow. I just have to be aware of my floors and plan accordingly.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:11 PM   #32
Inner Circle

There's a guy on eBay selling dollies that go for under 50 bucks sometimes. I don't know if they're any good, but I did buy some other cheap stuff from him that's quite usable (lightstands, reflector and some other misc stuff). Got a really cheap softbox from him too, but I haven't tried using it yet.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM   #33
Inner Circle

What's his Ebay name?

I bought an equipment wagon from Harbor Freight that I thought I could use for a dolly. However, I think maybe the wheels have too little pressure and the traction is too all-terrain. The ride was a little too shaky for it to be usable. $100 down the drain.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:27 PM   #34
Inner Circle

I'll try to remember to look it up next time I sign on to eBay, and drop you an email Travis. If I forget, and don't get it to you in a few days, remind me, okay?
Old March 3rd, 2006, 05:30 PM   #35
Inner Circle

If anyone else wants that eBay name, just drop me an email. He does sell a lot of different items. It appears he buys boatloads of items manufactured in China, and from what I've seen thus far, it is usable stuff. He doesn't package it all that well for shipping though, so I won't buy anything super fragile from him.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:20 PM   #36
Inner Circle

If you forget, it's no big deal. A quick search on Ebay will give anyone lots of options for video equipment. Thanks, though!
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:51 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Yeah, he wouldn't be hard to find. Be careful on eBay though. That really is a jungle just teaming with out-and-out crooks. I've had several major scam attempts on me in just the last week. One was an email link for a "Second Chance" offering, purely bogus, on an FX1 that I had bid on (somebody paid way more than I ever would). I would bet that spoof email was sent to several people who bid on the item, because I was pretty low on the final list of bidders, so I can imagine somebody got bilked for a few grand.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:16 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Yeah, be careful also if you get an email that says you have a message from a member. I had 2 this past week, and rather than click on the "Respond Now" button in the email (which took me to a "Ebay" login page), I went straight to Ebay and logged myself in. Whaddayaknow? I had ZERO messages. Scam.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:38 PM   #39
Inner Circle

I've made some great buys on eBay (some downright fantastic), but I am starting to get fed up with them. From what I've seen eBay basically ignores any problems it's users have. Ever try to write them? Good luck. Paypal is the same way. If you have a difficulty with something, you're basically on your own, or just plain SOL. I am real uncomfortable with Paypal having my banking and CC information. Not that I'm very likely to get taken in by a scammer (that doesn't worry me), but I don't trust Paypal to keep their site truly secure. Even if not for concerns about eBay and Paypal screwing things up on occasion, just the sheer volume of scam attempts is so way annoying. They should really put forth some REAL effort to put those crooks behind bars instead of sending you those fluffy form replies, that say wonderful things like "we've notified the proper authorities" and such, and clean the dang place up. I've reported listings to them, that we're clearly scams, and they just leave them there, and no doubt some poor hard working, honest guy gets robbed. It's like operating a flea-market and not bothering to hire security guards even when you have muggers lurking between every table!
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:56 PM   #40
Inner Circle

I agree that the problem doesn't seem to be getting any better. It seems to be worsening. My wife was just recently scammed on a DVD burner purchase and another friend of mine was scammed out of his Xbox 360. He actually had the payment in his PayPal account, and just hadn't transferred it to his bank account yet. The charge, it turns out, came from a bogus card, and PayPal removed the funds from his account and THEN informed him. Thinking he had already received payment in a secure fashion, he had already shipped the Xbox.

He contacted PayPal on the matter, and they promptly cancelled his PayPal account. He couldn't believe it, and I can't either. I pretty much only sell via Ebay. But even that appears to be pretty risky now, even if you force people to go through PayPal.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:32 PM   #41
Inner Circle

When you purchase something on eBay, NEVER pay for it by allowing Paypal to withdraw from your bank account. I've never had a problem, because I simply won't do it, but I'm sure that if you get ripped off on a transaction where you paid that way, Paypal would never, ever return the funds. They go out of their way to try to make you think it's the "safest" way to pay for an item, and that's a crock of horse droppings. The only plausible reason for their rather strong urging is that THEY don't want to get stuck with chargebacks from credit cards when the customer gets ripped off (it must happen a lot for them to be so pushy about using bank withdrawals). Yes, it's the safest way to pay. Safest for Paypal that is.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM   #42
Inner Circle

I going to refrain from adding any more to this discussion because I don't want the thread to get any more off topic than it already is. d:-)
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Yeah, you're right.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:40 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
I had a wedding on a carpet that was, umm........... these little squares. As soon as I walked in I felt it. Sortof like that little bathroom tile, only carpet. I just had to go slow. I just have to be aware of my floors and plan accordingly.
I'm thinking that having a runner handy in the trunk might be a good idea. Probably wouldn't have worked for shooting that dance, but it might come in handy sometime.
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Did you try using OIS? I'm wondering if that would help, or would it hork more than help?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques