When do you use tripod at the weddings? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
Did you try using OIS? I'm wondering if that would help, or would it hork more than help?
No I didn't try it, I didn't see the shake in post, only felt it on my rolls
Old March 10th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Am I the only one that thinks this is a recipe for disaster?

Quote:
First off, I'm no professional but I am video photographing my daughter's upcoming wedding
So...

You've never done this before, it's going to be a one camera shoot, and you're THE FATHER OF THE BRIDE????

I don't think the experienced wedding videographers on this board would be able to pull this off well. You're going to be busy with a thousand different family things (not the least of which is actually interacting with your daughter and being a part of the memory, and not just the recorder of her day).

At the very least I would rapidly train someone else to be the "primary" cameraman for the shoot, and relegate yourself to assisting with a second cam when time is available. I mean, who's going to record you walking your daughter down the aisle?

Oh, and I would definitely beg, borrow, or rent a second cam. When you're not running it, put it on a tripod for a safety shot.
Joe Kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Joe, I couldn't agree more. My brother-in-law got married last summer and, of course, it fell to me to handle the videography. I used 3 cameras for the ceremony, all stationary, and it turned out pretty good. BUT, I had 3 cameras and quite a bit of experience with wedding videography. The whole day was a major pain because I was constantly torn between wedding duties and videography duties.

The worst part is that we missed a lot of things . . . like the ring bearer falling asleep up front before he presented the rings . . . and the flower girl getting bored and mooning the audience repeatedly . . . and other things. My brother-in-law had literally no money, so he had no choice. To anyone with the money to make a choice, do yourself a favor and hire a professional. You only get one shot at that day, and doing it yourself should only be a last resort.

And like Joe said, as the father of the bride, you will have other responsibilities as well as a desire to just enjoy the experience.

My opinion.
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #49
Inner Circle

I've married off 1 girl and 2 boys. The 1st (my daughter) I set up 2 cams for the ceremony and had a friend handle the reception-YUCK! of course this was 10 years ago but I learned my lesson. When boy#2 got married about 3 years ago I hired a good friend of mine who I knew shot and edited in a style similar to mine-he did a great job and frankly I felt just fine with paying his rate as I told him to treat me as he would any other client. When boy #1 got married a couple of months later (they didn't get maried in order of age) it was a very small immediate family only type wedding and I got the procession then set up on a tripod in the balconey of the church with cam 2 on the altar (this was done with the permission and by direction of the pastor of the church). It worked out OK nothing to shout about but decent.

IF and WHEN my dog ever gets married (I'm out of kids-just the dog and grandkids and I HOPE I'm not still doing this when THEY get married) I'll probably do the wedding myself. I don't think my dog would trust anyone else.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom
this was 10 years ago
Don

They had video cameras back then? :}
Old March 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Yes, they had handcranks and everything. They were like going to the gym for a workout but more expensive ;-)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #52
Tourist

yes

jeeze i had a camera on my shoulder non stop for more than an hour during a ceremony and many of my back and side muscles couldnt take it anymore. The bride was late and they rushed the wedding and i didnt get a chance to grab my monopod. even the shoulder type cams will make u hurt afte a while adn u wil get shaky results.
Lucas Mro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques