DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Fast paced SDE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/58541-fast-paced-sde.html)

Jason Magbanua January 17th, 2006 10:04 PM

Fast paced SDE

The song was chosen by the couple (both clubbers) in the spirit of the season.
Shot with FX1s. Edited on Premiere Pro on a Dell 700m.

I was challenged when I first heard the song. I knew a lot of cuts were involved and hoped to the heavens that there would be enough time. The wedding was at 3pm and the reception started at 630. We were able to play back at around 730p.

www.pinoyvideomaker.com/patricia_jay.wmv

Happy New Year!

A.J. Briones January 17th, 2006 11:10 PM

that's crazy! i don't think i will ever get into the sde business!

awesome work, jason. it's good to see a filipino represent here.

questions: are you capturing to an external drive or to the laptop? how many cameras? approximately how many tapes worth of footage do you edit together?

i'm super curious because with the amount of footage we generate, if we start capturing at 3, we would barely be done by 6:30!

again, awesome work. you should be proud.

Mike F Smith January 17th, 2006 11:21 PM

Outstanding!!!

I can usually find a gripe or two but not here. That was simply to another level.

Mike

Sylvia Broeckx January 18th, 2006 05:05 AM

Wow! That's impressive and even more so for an SDE! Thanks for sharing! What's the music?

Douglas Villalba January 18th, 2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua
The song was chosen by the couple (both clubbers) in the spirit of the season.
Shot with FX1s. Edited on Premiere Pro on a Dell 700m.

I was challenged when I first heard the song. I knew a lot of cuts were involved and hoped to the heavens that there would be enough time. The wedding was at 3pm and the reception started at 630. We were able to play back at around 730p.

www.pinoyvideomaker.com/patricia_jay.wmv

Happy New Year!

Great work Jason

This is the best WMP i have seen. I wish it was larger to see more dertails 'couse I really enjoyed it.
I went to your page to more and I saw your Q&A and was cracking up. I notice that you have an AlienWear Laptop. Last year I did the wedding of one of the founder. The make great computers, if I ever switch from Macs I would definetly consider one.

I am just glad that I don't have to compete for client with you in my area. It seams that our philosophy is very similar. I just know how to put film in a picture camera. Hehehe.

Colby Knight January 18th, 2006 11:41 AM

The video is damned impressive, especially the turn around time.

And your FAQ is just hilarious!

Maurice O Carroll January 18th, 2006 11:43 AM

Under normal circumstances (like no deadline and a slow paced music track) that video was top drawer. Considering that it's an SDE and had to be cut to a challenging track, well, it's off the scale! Superb work all round!!!

Mossy

Craig Terott January 18th, 2006 12:20 PM

Wow! You're awesome Jason. You're the type of videographer that raises up our industry.

It really demonstrates for everyone, me included, what's possible in just a few fast-paced hours. What's even more amazing is that the entire video was same day. Most SDEs I've seen are "filled in" with same day video and much of the video is prepared in advance using pre-wedding day photos and pre-wedding day love story type edits.

I would loved to have heard the applause at the end of that presentation!

Awesome.

Ben Lynn January 18th, 2006 12:47 PM

Amazing! That was absolutely incredible!

You must have been really flying on the computer to crank out that many cuts in that short a time. Well worth the effort because that was just amazing to see.

Did you think about shortening the song? I think that I would have taken out about 45 sec. in the middle prior to that day, and that would have saved some time on the day of. Especially knowing that it was going to require so many cuts per minute. But you pulled it off at the full length and that was really amazing.

I also loved the straight cuts you used. I'm not a big fan of fades and you showed how effective good cuts can be.

Nice.

Ben Lynn

Vincent Croce January 18th, 2006 01:29 PM

which is better...

the SDE video or the faq on your site--I'm not sure (and I really liked the video). Some of the comments you have in your faq I don't have the chutzpah to put up--I laughed so hard I spilled my coffee! Thanks for the video and the laughs, Jason, and don't hesitate to share more of your good work with us here.
Vin

Jason Magbanua January 18th, 2006 07:15 PM

Thanks Guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.J. Briones
questions: are you capturing to an external drive or to the laptop? how many cameras? approximately how many tapes worth of footage do you edit together?

The dell has 60 gigs of space so we just dump everything there. We just make sure to flush everything out before an SDE.

Normally, the preparation footage we capture is 45-60 mins long (for two cams).
For the ceremony, we just handpick the "money shots" for inclusion in the video (30 mins approx).

Cheers!

Jason Magbanua January 18th, 2006 07:17 PM

Sylvia...

The music is Carol of the Bells (starchild excalibur drumademic remix) by the london festival orchestra

Jason Magbanua January 18th, 2006 07:20 PM

Douglas

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Villalba
I notice that you have an AlienWear Laptop. Last year I did the wedding of one of the founder. The make great computers, if I ever switch from Macs I would definetly consider one.

That's awesome. I would have agreed to an exchange deal if I did his.

Thanks for watching.

Jason Magbanua January 18th, 2006 07:24 PM

Ben

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Lynn
Did you think about shortening the song?

It didn't enter my mind. Probably because it was short enough to beigin with (3:05). The funny thing was, that 180 seconds turned out to be an eternity when I was tearing through the timeline.

(and though I haven't posted yet in your thread, let me say here that I like the way you cut up the interviews in your reality wedding clip. Now THAT was a lot of work).

Cheers!

Travis Cossel January 18th, 2006 08:38 PM

Incredible video. Just . . . incredible. I had to edit a video "day of" last year for a couple. I only had about 3 hours to do it, and a good hour and a half was spent capturing the footage to my CPU. I didn't have a fast paced song like you, and it was damn difficult to edit under the gun like that. I can't imagine doing what you did.

The footage looked really nice as well. Great colors and detail. You must like your FX1's. How many do you use during the ceremony, and do you shoot continuosly during the ceremony or not?