DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   IRiver T30 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/58666-iriver-t30.html)

Ron Wildhaber January 19th, 2006 12:21 PM

IRiver T30

I have an IRiver T30 512 MB player & voice recorder. I was hoping I could use a giant squid mic with this recorder. I checked with Darrin Nemeth from Audio Lab and he does not know if this their IRiver Omni Mono Microphone will work with this model IRiver or not. Does anyone know if it would work or what mic could I use with the Iriver T30. I planned to use the IRiver as a backup for my wireless system. Thanks in advance......Ron

Glen Elliott January 19th, 2006 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wildhaber
I have an IRiver T30 512 MB player & voice recorder. I was hoping I could use a giant squid mic with this recorder. I checked with Darrin Nemeth from Audio Lab and he does not know if this their IRiver Omni Mono Microphone will work with this model IRiver or not. Does anyone know if it would work or what mic could I use with the Iriver T30. I planned to use the IRiver as a backup for my wireless system. Thanks in advance......Ron

I was under the impression that the new iRiver units don't allow mic level recording. Only the old 790/890 units which are now becoming defunct.

Dan Wagner January 19th, 2006 12:55 PM

Hey Ron,
I can't tell from Iriver's description on thier web page if it can do line-in recording. Does your IFP have two ports (one for headphones, one for line-in)?
Virtually all of the Irivers have voice recording, but the mic is on the actual unit.
I'd look for anything in your manual stating line-in.

Jack Smith January 20th, 2006 12:34 AM

Ron, according to the manual, I see no way to select a "mic" level on the line in input of the t30 series.The 700 and 800 series DO allow this.
I dont want to say you can't record a mic with the t30 series but it sure appears that way.If you have the unit and are not able to exchange it for the 700 or 800 series,you could test it using a mic from your wireless and setting the recording volume quite high(30 or 31) then test the recorded file by loading it into an audio editor and see what the levels are.I'm sure everyone would like to know your findings.Good luck

Aanarav Sareen January 21st, 2006 05:01 PM

I just purchased the T30 and it DOES support recording from an external microphone. Also the T30 can control the audio recording level, but not on the fly.

Jack Smith January 21st, 2006 05:28 PM

Aanarav , have you actually recorded with an external mic?
I see the T30 supports external "line-in" levels however I have not seen in the manual where you can select a "mic level" input.
Could you explain if it will accept a "mic level" and how to go about it.
Thanks

Aanarav Sareen January 22nd, 2006 07:53 PM

Jack,
I haven't used the T30 extensively, but give me a couple of days and I will try to find an answer.

PS: Does anyone find the navigation of the iRiver players annoying?

Ron Wildhaber January 23rd, 2006 05:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. As I have just purchased this and it is unopened I will first try to return it and get either a 700 or 800 series Iriver. If I cannot return it, I will experiment with it to see if there is a way I can record with a external mic. I wii give feedback on my findings. Thanks again.....Ron

Ron Wildhaber January 28th, 2006 12:14 PM

There is no way to use the T30 with an external mic. I purchased a 790 to use with a Giant Squid.

Jeff Bettendorf February 4th, 2006 09:05 AM

Have you used the 790 with the giant squid mic yet? Does it work good?

Ron Wildhaber February 6th, 2006 02:57 PM

790 Iriver & Giant Squid mic

I used it yesterday at my grandsons birthday party. I could not be happier. The sound from it is very good. I plan to use it for backup audio for my Sennheiser G2 wireless and on board shotgun mic.

Jonathan Jones February 7th, 2006 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wildhaber
I used it yesterday at my grandsons birthday party. I could not be happier. The sound from it is very good. I plan to use it for backup audio for my Sennheiser G2 wireless and on board shotgun mic.

I just got the iRiver 790 today for audio backup at some events I will be shooting (to copliment my Senn wireless/AT shotgun/Sony MD setup I am already using to be sure I have as many options for ultra discreet audio capture as possible. (I will probaly get a 2nd iRiver in a few weeks.)

Specifically, which of the Giant Squid mics is the best option for the iRiver units?
-Jon

Heather Darling February 7th, 2006 05:10 PM

I recently purchased the iRiver 790 and a "Iriver Omni Mono Microphone" from Giant Squid. It sounds great. I was more than impressed.

Ron Wildhaber February 8th, 2006 07:51 AM

They make a model specifically for the Iriver http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-mono1.htm . With the 700 series a straight plug is fine because the mic hookup is on the end but the 800 series has a side mic hookup and for that model a right angle plug would be the way to go.

Sean Seah February 11th, 2006 04:42 AM

I got a giant squid and it doesnt work with a Samsung Yepp YP-T8... dun think I can find an iriver 700/800 in Singapore now.. sob sob...