C-mac clone Clip to Share at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:05 AM   #1
Major Player

C-mac clone Clip to Share

Here is a clip of about 5 weddings I shot at this one particular place, great people and very beautiful venue, I got the clip idea from CMac, by the way Glen if you read this congratualations on your clip getting first place at GPVA, your the man! I'm sure if you see this clip you'll remember where the idea came from for the opening, it is Quicktime and is about 32 mb, hope you like it!

http://streamitnow.com/customer/aemi..._Stream001.mov

AEMIKEA
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:25 AM   #2
Major Player

That was beautiful. What get up are you using for the tracking shots and moving around that was so smooth. Was it shot with a rig or glidecam. Wow.
Good work.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jason, it was a Steadicam SK2/ProVid hybrid, it is hard to see on the small clip, but the blonde bride had a serious stream of tears before the big kiss, made my eyes water while shooting, I use FX1's, thanks for watching!

Mike
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:36 AM   #4
Major Player

nice

Michael, good job that steadicam makes a huge difference.
I'm definitely adding one to my arsenal. I did a similar effect with
that same song if you'd like to see it let me know.

That couple had a beautiful wedding scene, elements, and they're beautiful themselves.

My only concerns were:
- In the beginning at 32secs you can adjust the color in that room looks a bit
over exposed.
- 35secs a few particles on your lens I hate when that happens to me keep
those lens clean.

That's was really great overall, I loved it...

Oh at 2:00 are you coming off some elevated angle because you sweeping is excellent makes me feel like I'm in a movie.
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for checking it out Dante, would love to see what you have done with the song (weddings@hdbride.com), I was kinda going for the overexposed look on the shot you are talking about, she was sitting in direct sunlight, it was hard to keep my lense clean that day and that was the only shot I took of the house (fisheyes are so exposed without a hood:( ) hate that it was dirty. I was comoing off the deck on the one shot you are talking about, I kinda liked it to, well when you get a chance to send me a link to your video that would be great, thanks again.

Mike
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stewart
Thanks for checking it out Dante, would love to see what you have done with the song (weddings@hdbride.com), I was kinda going for the overexposed look on the shot you are talking about, she was sitting in direct sunlight, it was hard to keep my lense clean that day and that was the only shot I took of the house (fisheyes are so exposed without a hood:( ) hate that it was dirty. I was comoing off the deck on the one shot you are talking about, I kinda liked it to, well when you get a chance to send me a link to your video that would be great, thanks again.

Mike
Which editor are you using FCP?
And did you use just the regular speed adjustments for your slow motion?

I'm exporting the video as we speak bare with me...
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:13 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm a PC guy, edit with PPro 2 + Cineform Aspect HD, I use twixtor for the slow motion, works great on HDV stuff, thanks for sharing your clip, can't wait to see it.

Mike
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:42 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stewart
Here is a clip of about 5 weddings I shot at this one particular place, great people and very beautiful venue, I got the clip idea from CMac, by the way Glen if you read this congratualations on your clip getting first place at GPVA, your the man! I'm sure if you see this clip you'll remember where the idea came from for the opening, it is Quicktime and is about 32 mb, hope you like it!

http://streamitnow.com/customer/aemi..._Stream001.mov

AEMIKEA
Thanks Michael. I look forward to watching your clip (the proxy at work won't allow me to install QT).
Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:12 PM   #9
Regular Crew

CMac Clone?

I can see your influences in there, Michael, but I wouldn't label it a C-Mac clone.

It's a very strong vignette and merits praise on both technical and artistic fronts. Your steadicam work was awesome and I couldn't help but admire it; I also believe it added to the overall flow and to the spellbinding score. It was cinematic in every sense with some nice, creative shots but it lacked some ambient audio; sorry, but I can't help but measure it against Glen's winning GPVA effort where he utilised the priest's sermon to great effect so, maybe I'm being unfair.

The split screens actually worked except that they felt kinda stuck on at the beginning, maybe you should have carried this effect through the sequence at various points? Colour matching jarred at some points and may need closer inspection.

Other than that, I'm truly delighted that you shared this clip! I've downloaded it and will benchmark my own floating shots against yours as a way to improve my camerawork. Your clients are very lucky people to have had such stunning surroundings for their wedding and a gifted videographer to capture it in all its glory!

Mossy
Maurice O Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:57 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Mossy, appreciate the kind words and areas to improve, I too love the ambient audio and may put some in, the main reason I did not put in vowes is because most of these I shot without audio, this was strictly to do a demo for this facility, so I would come in when I could and just shoot and leave, I agree Glenns stuff is inspiring, and plan on doing more voiceover this year, thanks again.

Mike
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:40 PM   #11
Major Player

that was amazing. amazing.

question about the steadicam: how is it working with a steadicam on a live event? i'm hesitant to make the investment because i can't see myself getting into the nooks and crannies and moving as easily as i can handheld. also, how is it to work with on an all day shoot?

your footage is making me seriously consider taking the leap. kudos.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:54 PM   #12
Major Player

the video looks AWESOME! great moves with the steadicam.

would you happen to be aemikea from VU?

Cheers!
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 09:08 PM   #13
Major Player

A.J actually I keep it handy on a stand near by and keep my vest on, I have another camera for handheld stuff, I don't wear it all day (Steadicam), it would kill me! I have worn it several times for about 2 hours straight or so, Every bide knows about it before I get there and none to date have complained as long as I get some cool shots with it. Thanks Jason just checked out some more of your work the other day, loved it as usual, yep I'm AEMIKEA from good ole VU, thanks for noticing, have a great night and thanks again for checking the clip out.

Mike
Old January 23rd, 2006, 09:47 PM   #14
Major Player

Hard not to notice. Your "prayer" piece is tops in my books.

Cheers.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 10:54 PM   #15
Major Player

Thanks Jason, that one probably has some of my best shots to date, always looking to improve, so many great and different styles out there to learn from, yourself and the rest of the many skilled videographers, I remember I came across your work around 2 years ago, Your work helped me to move into some faster edits instead of always doing the "sappy" :) stuff all the time, stumbled back upon it again recently, great to see you are still going strong! Your in the PI right? I was stationed in Guam with the Air Force for a couple of years met several people from there..... Salagumba? Cueto? Matanani? (I think he was Chamarro) anyway, I remembered you had and still have a great site, love your frequently asked questions too :)

Take Care
Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques