What Videolight for wedding? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 30th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What Videolight for wedding?

What videolights are you using for weddings? Can you suggest a good videolight for less than $250.
Juan Dela Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't think anyone uses lights "during" the ceremony but for the reception, I use the Frezzi mini-fill with dimmer and a 35watt bulb. But that's about $100 more than your budget. So I would recommend the Frezzi mini fill on/off light.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

*edit* oops... You'll need a NP1 style battery... Add another $100... Get a NiMH battery and you should get near an hour of runtime.
Eric Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Here's the $95 Bescor kit that I use. I also bought the automatic charger for another $40:

This kit has 2 lamps, each 20 watts, and a large capacity battery.
John Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bennett
Here's the $95 Bescor kit that I use. I also bought the automatic charger for another $40:

This kit has 2 lamps, each 20 watts, and a large capacity battery.
Make sure you note that this only has a 30 minute runtime.
Old January 31st, 2006, 04:29 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Theres also the good old Sony 10/20W - for about $100- 2 batteires at about $100 each unless you use offbrand (get the biggest one possible) and you're good to go.

OR try this one by Bescor :Bescor AK7 Dimmer Light and Battery Kit - Consists of: MPL645 Light, MM7XLR Battery, BC500 Charger, Barn Doors
Its $235 from B&H with the battery-at 50W it runs about 75 minutes at lower wattage it runs up to about 110 minutes or more.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 04:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Don, do you really use 10/20 watt lights? I tried to use that wattage in the past and it barely seemed to light up the end of my lens. I use minimum 35watt lights nowadays.

Eric
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

650watts

I don't need on camera lights. I need atleast 650 watts to light the reception. Other $250 light suggestions? I just want to upgrade my cheapo unomat 1000watts lights. Are there lights with variable power output by rotating nobs instead of switch?
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:53 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Eric,
When I was shooting with my PD150s I used a Bescor 50W light with a homemade softbox/diffuser that brought it down to about 25W. I then found some 20W bulds and used a piece of tough-spun on the light and found it was more than enough-remember after about 8-10feet most any light is pretty ineffective. Now I use an Anton Bauer 20W on my JVC5000 and it works just fine but again, I stay within the bounds of effective lighting about 8-10 feet.

Juan, You use big cans to light receptions? Not sure where you're located but here in Chicago if I even tried to do that they'd (the venue management would throw me out-not to mention the bride and groom wouldn't be too happy)

Don
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

lightman

so no more lightman, you just put the light on camera? how about 100watts light in a lightstand at reception what do you think?
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:29 PM   #10
Inner Circle

100W on a stand at a reception would be useless unless it's right next to the camera and frankly with cameras today you probably don't need that much. You're far better off with a small on camera light and if you feel the need, get a bracket to move the light off the camera to one side and up a bit. You have to understand that the room itself will suck up the light like a thirsty dog at a pond and frankly to light up a reception venue properly (in other words so its lit up so you can see where you're going) you would need far more than one 650W can. You'd probably need a few to light the dance floor and then the B&G would be mighty upset not to mention the possible liability involved.
Don
Old January 31st, 2006, 09:56 PM   #11
Regular Crew

You use lights?!?

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:08 PM   #12
Major Player

ditto on the frezzi mini fill with dimmer. get the soft box for it too. i use it with the fnp1s battery. note that it takes 14 hours to fully charge, so plan your wedding days accordingly.

since we went from xl1s to vx2100s, we no longer use the frezzis during receptions. we only use them during guest interviews.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 01:48 AM   #13
Major Player

Juan....do your very best to stay clear of using lights for weddings. Of course in some situations you'll get "better" image quality.....BUT, you will come across VERY "intrusive" to the bride/groom and guests. It's things like lights that give wedding videographers a "negative" image. Some on this site will argue this but they fall into the catagory of being "intrusive". I have NEVER met a bride/groom that would prefer better image quality w/ the use of lights over keepin' the ambience/mood of the wedding/reception w/ slightly degraded images w/o lights.....NEVER......and the videographers who argue this or sell their clients on the use of lights will continue to contribute to this negative image that over shadows many wedding videographers. I hear it from wedding planners.....they say, do you use lights....I say no way, they say...THANK GOD!!!! Ok....now I look forward to all the Re Buts Im gonna get.....can you say 6 o clock news?????

Say No To Drugs &

Say No To Lights at a wedding!!!!

PS. Your job is NOT only to produce the BEST image quality....its not, atleast at a wedding......keepin' a low profile is also very important....VERY!!! and you cant do this by using lights, not to mention how candid can you really shoot when folks have a light barreling down their chops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Dela Cruz
What videolights are you using for weddings? Can you suggest a good videolight for less than $250.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 02:05 AM   #14
Major Player

there's something to be said about being prepared. in the very few times when available light did not cut it, the frezzi has been invaluable. in those rare occasions, better to be obtrusive than left out.

edit: to clarify, we're talking late evening b&g grand exit clips on a yacht here.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 02:42 AM   #15
Major Player

alright......but that is the extreme circumstance. I do think you should have a barrage of gear...dont get me wrong, we own enough lights to fill a u haul truck.....and yes, you should have a small "diffused" on cam light available.....BUT......dont use it. change your shutter speed to 30th sec.....yep, the image quality suffers....boo freakin hoo, this argument will go on forever by the light lovers.....im not hear to change your minds...you're stuck, but, to simply let this newbie know that lights are not the way to go with wedding shooting unless your camera is shooting BLACK darkness.....and that is the extreme it should take for anyone to use lights......short of lighting the cake while shooting it, and detail stuff like favors, etc., but not on people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. Briones
there's something to be said about being prepared. in the very few times when available light did not cut it, the frezzi has been invaluable. in those rare occasions, better to be obtrusive than left out.

edit: to clarify, we're talking late evening b&g grand exit clips on a yacht here.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques