DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   wedding videographer associations... are they worth it? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/59587-wedding-videographer-associations-they-worth.html)

A.J. Briones February 1st, 2006 11:53 AM

wedding videographer associations... are they worth it?

honest question y'all: what do these associations (weva, 4ever group) do for you, and are they worth joining?

when i was first starting out i was considering joining weva, but with equipment costs and trying to cut corners and save money where i can, i didn't bother, and learned my craft without much direction or advice. in fact, while doing competitive analysis in my market, i saw many videographers in my area that were weva members, and their work was horrible (i'm no spielberg, so no offense is meant or implied, just my observation). i did not really want to be associated with that.

now that the business is growing, is it worth it to be in one? how has it improved your business? how does it continue to help you? are the expos worth going to? are there massive discounts or deals in x or y product that i'm missing out on? does membership bring with it a good number of clients?

i guess i'm looking for feedback other than what i can find at the association websites, and i wonder if i'm missing out on anything by not being a member. any advice, sans hyperbole, would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your time.

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2006 12:29 PM

Why bother, when you've got this community for free?

Ryan DesRoches February 1st, 2006 12:29 PM

I joined WEVA mainly for the insurance discounts, and because I am starting out and was hoping that WEVA could give me a shread of marketability that I wouldn't have without them.

That said, I do use their forums and read their magazine, and try to pick up as many ideas as I can by conversing with other members (much like I do here).

I think WEVA has more advantages than disadvantages at this point, but it all depends on if you feel those advantages are worth the $185 member fee.

Ryan

K. Forman February 1st, 2006 12:44 PM

Just my two cents- I think there is too much political intrigue with WEVA. I had thought about joining them, but was getting spammed with email, letters stating this big wig is leaving, blah, blah, blah... It just started sounding too flakey to me.

On the other hand, their open house seminars are interesting.

David Chandler-Gick February 1st, 2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Why bother, when you've got this community for free?

From a networking and troubleshooting standpoint, you are absolutely correct... Here, VU, FFC and others are just as viable as the WEVA forum. Even moreso in fact.

But it's also an informational resource. There are things that happen outside of this forum, or any others, and the fact that it has effects on this industry makes it important.

Chris, in your other post you say "...as a platform for advertising and justifying one video association (not affiliated with DV Info Net) in their legal battle against another video association..."

I think that misses the point.

By putting DVinfo out there as a community forum, then discussion about what affects the community should not be censored. INFORMATION NETWORK. It's right there in the title of this forum.

Julie and her Local Association colleagues have made an effort to bring resolution to a conflict that is tearing this industry apart. At no point do they "justify" one association over another. Only that they want what they paid for.

And she attempted to share INFORMATION on how people can help. Help them. Help the industry. Help themselves.

Keith says "...too much political intrigue with WEVA."

I agree. But I also realize that this is of their own creation. There is nothing that they cannot put an immediate stop to, and get back to being what they are SUPPOSED to be. Literally as easy as flipping a switch, this krappe could be over with. They just aren't listening...

INFORMATION NETWORK. That's all...

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2006 01:28 PM

David: TECHNICAL information network. That's all... This ain't the daytime soap opera channel.

DV Info Net is privately owned and operated. No one will dictate to me how to run this board. I choose not to involve myself, my name, or this site in a litigious duel between two entities not at all affiliated with this site. Frankly I think the entire matter is disgusting and I don't want it on this site. Period. It's that simple.

If the membership here is at affected, or even if they're all that interested, then they'll find it elsewhere on the web. I'm not stopping anybody from doing that. Meanwhile, this message board is private property, and thankfully the vast majority of our long-time members understand that.

Every once in awhile I have to remind new folks that this ain't the place for launching crusades. The rest of the internet serves nicely for that purpose. Meanwhile, I'm interested in attracting only those individuals who wish to stay focused on the technical and creative aspects of how they're using digital video, free from the interference of distracting noises such as who is suing who. There are a countless number of other message boards out there where you can pursue that sort of thing, and I strongly urge you to do just that... elsewhere.

For A.J., sorry this strayed off-topic so quickly; maybe I'll open this back up when the dust settles and the gunslingers leave town. Thanks in advance,

Glen Elliott February 1st, 2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chandler-Gick
Chris, in your other post you say "...as a platform for advertising and justifying one video association (not affiliated with DV Info Net) in their legal battle against another video association..."

I think that misses the point.

By putting DVinfo out there as a community forum, then discussion about what affects the community should not be censored.

I agree with Chris's stance. While I respect and understand the point your trying to make- in the end it's only going to fuel the battle between the named associations and offer no constructive content for DVinfo members considering it's void of information on techology, hardware, postproduction, and their particular wedding/event business.

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
no constructive content for DVinfo members

"No constructive content" is almost an understatement. Hal Landen doesn't allow this sort of garbage at Video University, either, so it's not as if I'm without precedent. I wish I had a dime for every new person who comes in here thinking they can drag this place down by turning it into their own private battleground for the Cause Of The Day. That's not the focus of DV Info Net, never has been, never will be.