Utah wedding prices... confused - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #16
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Albany, NY 12210
Posts: 2,650
I love this post. I was raised in Utah, and until recently my mother rented items out for wedding receptions. One thing I want to add here is that Mormon weddings are generally really, really inexpensive. The temple ceremony is free, and for reasons I won't explain, do not require anybody to rent a tux. The reception is alcohol free (normally a big expense for the gentiles) and typically takes place, again often for free, in a church gymnasium or somebody's backyard. Catering is often done by friends or enterprising teenagers. I would think it would be very difficult to charge $1,000 to document these affairs. My mother used to have a really hard time getting $500 for the whole reception. Often, people opt to pick up the items and set them up themselves just to save a few nickels. I'm not knocking Mormons. I think it's great. The amount of money that other people blow on a wedding can get pretty ridiculous.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #17
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 419
i don't know the mormon traditions, etc. but i would think that upper income bride/grooms...lets say that make 100,000.00 per year income, drive a bmw, or mercedes, live in a 3,000.00 or more sq ft house, and can afford the "finer" things in life would have too much issue with spending over 1,000.00 for a wedding video....and i doubt this income class of bride/groom would want a reception in a gymnasium.....obviously i can be wrong but i am doubtful. there are "different" levels of service for all of us abroad.....including utah. when i lived in utah....and i am not mormon.....not that there's anything wrong with that(seinfeld episode 264), it was 10 yra ago, but i noticed that a lot of folks had really nice houses, cars, clothes, etc.......and i spent time all over saltlake......there really weren;t too many "ghetto" type areas relative to other parts of the usa.....utah was actually one of the nicest places i've been. in the end, i just disagree that there is not a demographic that will spend over a grand for a wedding video, i would think that demographic is huge......i know i know.....I could be wrong.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
I love this post. I was raised in Utah, and until recently my mother rented items out for wedding receptions. One thing I want to add here is that Mormon weddings are generally really, really inexpensive. The temple ceremony is free, and for reasons I won't explain, do not require anybody to rent a tux. The reception is alcohol free (normally a big expense for the gentiles) and typically takes place, again often for free, in a church gymnasium or somebody's backyard. Catering is often done by friends or enterprising teenagers. I would think it would be very difficult to charge $1,000 to document these affairs. My mother used to have a really hard time getting $500 for the whole reception. Often, people opt to pick up the items and set them up themselves just to save a few nickels. I'm not knocking Mormons. I think it's great. The amount of money that other people blow on a wedding can get pretty ridiculous.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #18
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Albany, NY 12210
Posts: 2,650
Certainly somebody like Larry Miller is going to splurge a little more on his kids' weddings. I'm not saying you would never be able to charge high-end prices. For one thing, there's a lot of non-Mormons in Utah, especially in Salt Lake. The intitial question was why the prices are so low, and I gave my best guess. My mothers' wedding business was in Bountiful, which is a fairly affluent area, and believe me, there are plenty of wealthy people there with no qualms whatsoever about holding their daughter's reception in a gymnasium.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #19
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger
i don't know the mormon traditions, etc. but i would think that upper income bride/grooms...lets say that make 100,000.00 per year income, drive a bmw, or mercedes, live in a 3,000.00 or more sq ft house, and can afford the "finer" things in life would have too much issue with spending over 1,000.00 for a wedding video....and i doubt this income class of bride/groom would want a reception in a gymnasium.....obviously i can be wrong but i am doubtful. there are "different" levels of service for all of us abroad.....including utah. when i lived in utah....and i am not mormon.....not that there's anything wrong with that(seinfeld episode 264), it was 10 yra ago, but i noticed that a lot of folks had really nice houses, cars, clothes, etc.......and i spent time all over saltlake......there really weren;t too many "ghetto" type areas relative to other parts of the usa.....utah was actually one of the nicest places i've been. in the end, i just disagree that there is not a demographic that will spend over a grand for a wedding video, i would think that demographic is huge......i know i know.....I could be wrong.
Joe,

Thank you for your kind words about Utah. I've lived here all my life and I find it rather nice as well. =) You certainly are right about the high end crowd. There is definitely a market that will spend $1,000 (or more) for a good video. One videographer, David Perry, has actually capitalized on the idea of making high end "temple videos". Check his site: http://www.davidperryfilms.com/. This guy has it figured out. Target that high end LDS market and you'll make a fortune. He does pretty darn well. The ironic thing is that I grew up with him, went to school and played soccer with him. Wish I had half of his equipment now. And his studio.

Like Marco said, most anyone here is looking for a bargain. Which is why I chose to price fairly low for my packages at this time. I'll raise them as I go along, but for now I'd rather go for volume (which there is plenty of opportunity for) rather than pricing myself above the other guys and losing business.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #20
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 97
WOW that's a big response to my question! I haven't even had the time to come back on here to check!! So thanks EVERYONE for all your help and suggestions, i'm reading and re-reading many of them and trying to learn what i can.

Mike, i do have a question for you. Am i getting this right about the length of the video? For a temple wedding, the final length is 5-10 minutes? And people will pay $400 for that?? I do appreciate what it takes to get 10 minutes of solid video together, but clients won't... will they?... i just want to make sure i understand what any given client's expectation of the video's length SHOULD be so i don't shoot myself in the foot (thinking i understood what you meant, but didn't).

I wanted to keep things simple in my first post, so i didn't mention a few things.

- I'm doing a regular ceremony first (free - for family) and then doing a temple wedding for $200.
- i own an XL2 and although i LOVE the camera, i'm really starting to think that i might have spent too much on the camera without considering the need for much equipment... typical noob mistake i bet! :D

So a Glidecam 2000 (if it can support the XL2 - otherwise, it'll be the 4000) is going to be in my near future, but not absolutely necessary right NOW, but sound is going to be important, especially for that first one. I tried to look for mics over at B&H and simply couldn't find anything (it doesn't help that i don't know what i'm looking for), so at this point, any links or suggestions would help.

One more thing. Lowell. Your site is VERY well designed. You have no idea how much of a pain in the ass it is most of the time (for both videography AND photography) to find a site that's easy to navigate. Most websites have pages that, if printed, would easily be 5-6 pages long and on the screen, that looks messy as hell. Good job on your site.

thanks again everyone, your help so far has been phenomenally useful and reassuring.
Raji Barbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #21
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raji Barbir
Mike, i do have a question for you. Am i getting this right about the length of the video? For a temple wedding, the final length is 5-10 minutes? And people will pay $400 for that?? I do appreciate what it takes to get 10 minutes of solid video together, but clients won't... will they?... i just want to make sure i understand what any given client's expectation of the video's length SHOULD be so i don't shoot myself in the foot (thinking i understood what you meant, but didn't).
For a temple wedding, you'll see them anywhere from 5-15 minutes. Generally not any longer than that for the temple part. Yes, people will pay that. It's amazing, but they pay much more than my prices for this often enough. That's not all that is on the DVD, because you include their slideshows and such, but as far as actual event video goes you're not looking at a very long video. Try ordering demos from the other videographers around. Silver Box has good samples of what they actually put on their DVDs. http://www.silverboxmedia.com/ There are others too but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

The reception can be a bit longer as there are more actual events occurring. Things like the bouquet toss, garter toss, speeches, cake cutting, etc, will take up time. But if you're talking strictly at the temple (and surrounding area) then you're not looking at a very long video. If you haven't already, start looking at sample videos from other guys here in SLC. It will give you an idea of what clients expect.

While the XL2 is a very nice camera, it may have been better to get something cheaper and get other gear. As others have said, if you are doing a traditional wedding then good audio is a must. But, since you already have the XL2 there's not much good in looking back. I'd go for a good audio system first if you will be doing more traditional weddings. If not, get the Glidecam. It makes for beautiful shots when done properly. If you want to rent a wireless mic system I'd recommend TV Specialists (http://www.tvspecialists.com/rentals/prosumer.php). You can rent a wireless mic for $35 a day, but I've not used that particular one so I'm not sure how good it is. Should be good though, as TV Specialists usually has pretty decent equipment. I'm not too familiar with any other rental shops around, but I'm sure they exist. If you have any other questions feel free to bring them up or email me or whatever. Best of luck. Post up some footage after you shoot these, if possible.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #22
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: california
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raji Barbir
WOW that's a big response to my question! I haven't even had the time to come back on here to check!! So thanks EVERYONE for all your help and suggestions, i'm reading and re-reading many of them and trying to learn what i can.

Mike, i do have a question for you. Am i getting this right about the length of the video? For a temple wedding, the final length is 5-10 minutes? And people will pay $400 for that?? I do appreciate what it takes to get 10 minutes of solid video together, but clients won't... will they?... i just want to make sure i understand what any given client's expectation of the video's length SHOULD be so i don't shoot myself in the foot (thinking i understood what you meant, but didn't).

I wanted to keep things simple in my first post, so i didn't mention a few things.

- I'm doing a regular ceremony first (free - for family) and then doing a temple wedding for $200.
- i own an XL2 and although i LOVE the camera, i'm really starting to think that i might have spent too much on the camera without considering the need for much equipment... typical noob mistake i bet! :D

So a Glidecam 2000 (if it can support the XL2 - otherwise, it'll be the 4000) is going to be in my near future, but not absolutely necessary right NOW, but sound is going to be important, especially for that first one. I tried to look for mics over at B&H and simply couldn't find anything (it doesn't help that i don't know what i'm looking for), so at this point, any links or suggestions would help.

One more thing. Lowell. Your site is VERY well designed. You have no idea how much of a pain in the ass it is most of the time (for both videography AND photography) to find a site that's easy to navigate. Most websites have pages that, if printed, would easily be 5-6 pages long and on the screen, that looks messy as hell. Good job on your site.

thanks again everyone, your help so far has been phenomenally useful and reassuring.
hello raji,

in my case a member, i think it was james, was the one who opened my eys.

even if the ceremony is 10-15 min, you will spend easy 4 hours total, you will have ml, media, pay a friend to help you, same thing, hours, ml, etc
then you need to add your editing time, again media, plus somehow you have to get something for your equipment. on top of it, there has to be some profit.

have done a lot of work for free, about 1 1/2 year, until my wife started to get on my case. i started to search this board, and oh boy........

for the longest time i thought "what are they talking about, i can't charge like that"

i just started this january to charge "right", but got my first "real" paying customer. so, let's see how the rest of the year goes.

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:25 PM   #23
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
In my opinion, the Glidecam unit is far from essential, especially for someone just starting out. I've been doing weddings for several years and we use monopods 99% of the time that we are off the tripod. Don't get me wrong, a Glidecam can get you some amazing shots, but if you are looking to do more than just a temple highlight video, there are definitely better ways to spend your money to start off.

First, I would look at getting an audio system. Even if you just spend $100 on a DVR or an iRiver, you will need something to capture audio at traditional ceremonies.

Second, I would consider saving up for a 2nd camera and tripod. The days of 1 camera wedding shoots (not including LDS weddings, obviously) are numbered I think, unless you're looking to do low-end weddings forever.

Just my thoughts.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:31 AM   #24
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell Oswald
Thanks for the compliment! I actually designed it myself..I work full time as a web designer and commercial videographer in Salt Lake, doing wedding videos is just a side business that pays the extra bills.

I agree, very nice site.
__________________
What happens if I push the 'Red' button?
Steven Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:49 AM   #25
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
Posts: 97
Just adding to what my business partner Lowell said, we started offering only the Temple and a simple photo montage for $250. We signed up like 6 or 7 of these after a month of participating in a bridal show. After about the 4th I hated the fact that we weren't really making anything. BUT, it was essential to the growth of our company. What happened was, ya we hated the fact that we weren't making much, but we got tons of footage to make a nice demo, Our clients loved our work getting more than what they paid for. And after a while we got to the point where we decided to up our prices and it worked, we're still able to sign up just as many people and now make more money on a job, it's all about timing!!!
If you're a new company, why would I pay the same for you to do a job, when there is some other company that's been around for a few years and charges the same? Anyway, hope we're helping you out. Let us know if you have any other questions about this market, it's different...

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com
Eric Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:10 AM   #26
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 97
Eric, yeah everything here has been extremely helpful. Since my last post i've purchased a Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 series for the traditional ceremony i'll be shooting and i'm going to try to do without a monopod for now to see how it works. I'm just a little worried about the handheld shots since i don't have any glidecam equipment or anything, so i'll just have to work around that and keep from anything looking amateur-ish. That's not even a word... lol

but yeah, regarding prices, this thread has truly helped me! As soon as i got back to read all the replies, i immediately posted my prices over at http://memories.tinycomet.com but i'm thinking of lowering them some more to about what you suggested.

At this point i really do feel stuck though... with photography, at least i have some sort of a portfolio coming along, but with film i have NOTHING... so at this point i'm going to see if advertising for a free wedding videography package (for whomever calls and books me first!!) will do anything to at least get me started. I'm waiting around for the first bride to get married in April but it's taking too long for my taste, i need to move forward some other way in the meantime.
Raji Barbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:21 AM   #27
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 349
We started our low package at $400 as I thought that was a decent midpoint between the low-ballers and the professionals. So far it's booked us 4 weddings. But it is a difficult market. Many people do it here and most people are looking for a bargain.

At this point I'm teaming up with my cousin who does photography. He used to do videography, but about 2 months ago he informed me he was getting out of it but still wanted to offer video with his packages. So, we're still maintaining separate companies but partnering to offer combined packages for our clients. So far it seems to be working.

Eric, which bridal show did you do? I was thinking of doing one in January but I didn't have any good demo footage to show so I am planning on next year. It seems to be a good way to get weddings booked. Your thoughts on that? Will you do them again? Are they worth the investment?
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:47 AM   #28
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
Posts: 97
Mike,
We've participated in a few shows so far. I think they are worth it because you pay around $700 to be in the show and another $500 or so depending on what you decide to give out, some don't give anything out, so it just depends. But after you book the first show you've pretty much covered the cost. Plus I just like personal selling myself.

As far as shows go, last September we did the one at Thanksgiving Point and the show in Provo. Like I said before we booked about 10 from the show at Thanksgiving point, mostly the cheap package and 0 from the Provo show. We also did the TP in January and we've book a few from that show and have a few people calling and interested.

I like the Thanksgiving Point show because you get brides from both areas, SL and Utah Valley, and a lot of them are more willing to pay more, and it just feels a lot more classy to me. The Provo show on the other hand is well...Provo... we didn't get a single job from the show, a lot of them were getting married out of state (BYU) etc. So I wouldn't really recommend that one.

We are participating in the March show at TP again and in April we're going to do the Provo show (probably the last time only because we said that we would do future shows last September) and the Bride and Groom Gala at the South Town Expo Center for the first time. We're hoping to get a lot of business for this summer, so we'll see what happens.

Eric Hansen

Last edited by Eric Hansen; March 2nd, 2006 at 11:29 AM.
Eric Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:06 PM   #29
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 349
You are really so kind Eric. Thanks for the information about what has worked for you and what hasn't. I agree that Thanksgiving Point does allow for a wider range of brides, as well as bringing in a bit higher end of a crowd. I don't think we'll make it to the March one, as there is so little time to get ready, but the September one might be an option.

What I really like about this conversation is that people are actually trying to help people out. I don't try to be secretive with my "tactics" but I have met many local videographers that won't tell you anything for fear that you'll compete with them. While we do all compete, there is plenty of work out there. I love to see people helping other people, and I try to return the favor as much as I can. So thanks Eric, for being an upstanding example of what a videographer should be. You not only have quality productions but you are also willing to help others. That's commendable.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:01 PM   #30
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Eagle Mountain, Utah
Posts: 97
Hey Mike,
No problem, isn't that what we're here for. I figure it would have been nice to know this place existed before I started up, but hey, love to help out. There are a few anal video guys up here that I've met, but very few, for the most part they are all cool guys who like to help out.

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com
Eric Hansen is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network