Long Video cable run at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 7th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Long Video cable run

I have a shoot next week where I'm providing both a live feed to a projector as well as sending a feed from my DVD player. This could exceed 200 feet.

This week I'm doing the same and I'm not sure of the distance, but it could be 200 feet.

I'm currently using a composite out of the PD 150 and I have an in-line booster for the cable. The signal isn't too bad but I do have a very slight roll ... not enough to get excited about.

Everything goes through my Panasonic MX 30 mixer.

I have a Long Distance Runner from Elite, but really haven't experienced the "success" of those on the website.

Is there any specific cable I should be looking at for these long runs? I'm currently using an RG 59U.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Scott Brooks
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Scott,

A couple of ideas for you:

Have you thought about using S-Video as the output from the mixer? You can run S-Vid over 2 coax cables. You can make these inexpensively and they provide a great picture. I don't know what the max length is, but I have run them over 350 feet.

The other idea is a Cat5 distro system. For around $350, you can get a transmitter-receiver combo that will provide you with S-video and analog and digital audio. The max length for this is 1000 feet.

If you are interested in either of these ideas, I can give you more details.
Craig Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Scott,

Your fine on the coax rg-59 cable at that distance. You shouldn't need a line amp at less than 1000 ft. for an analog signal (which is what your using).

The line amp could actually be introducing the roll at such a short distance. I would take out the line amp and add a ground lifter (the cheap $ 0.59 grey ac adapters from the hardware store) to the power strip or conector for the mx-30. The ground lifter should clear up most, if not all, of the roll. If not then your only out less than a buck.

If that doesn't clear it then how many joints are in the cable run? Is the camera running on ac power?

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn
Scott,

Your fine on the coax rg-59 cable at that distance. You shouldn't need a line amp at less than 1000 ft. for an analog signal (which is what your using).

The line amp could actually be introducing the roll at such a short distance. I would take out the line amp and add a ground lifter (the cheap $ 0.59 grey ac adapters from the hardware store) to the power strip or conector for the mx-30. The ground lifter should clear up most, if not all, of the roll. If not then your only out less than a buck.

If that doesn't clear it then how many joints are in the cable run? Is the camera running on ac power?

Ben
It's been a while, but at one time I thought I was told that since I was using the PD 150 that it didn't really have enough power to push the signal that well and that I would need an in-line booster. That was the reason I purchased it several years ago.

For the project I just completed I have two cables. We take this same program on the road to Texas next week and I'm hoping that it won't be any further than what I just had.

As for the camera ... it's strictly battery powered.

I'll pick up a ground lifter this week before I take off and see if it makes a difference. We set up on Tuesday and have a tech run-through. That would provide plenty of time to see what combination works best.

Thanks ...
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Run a quick check and run the pd-150 feed straight to the projector without the mx-30 in the mix and see if the roll is still there.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #6
Major Player

I did a similar setup a couple of years ago (wedding on a mutli-level cruise ship). We used a S-Video to Cat5 converter on each end. It worked perfectly and there was no notable loss in quality over 600 feet. If I remember correctly, the convertors were only about $30 each and worked far better than anything else I tried (I tried coax, wireless, and a few more).
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Just as a follow-up ...

First of all, thanks to everyone that offered their input. I appreciate your time and expertise.

For the longer run I ended up going as basic as I could while being ready to do more if needed. As Ben suggested I did eliminate the in-line booster. Whether it was the culprut or not, I had no roll in the video at all. The cable that I had did just fine.

It appears this will be a yearly gig with the phone company, so I very well may look at some type of Cat 5 system for next year if nothing else than for the ease of setup and tear down.

Thanks again
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques