DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Here's how I'm starting out...and a question or two. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/60255-heres-how-im-starting-out-question-two.html)

Ian Slessor February 9th, 2006 08:26 AM

Here's how I'm starting out...and a question or two.

Hi gang,

I noticed some folks were wondering about the best option when starting out in the wedding video field. So I thought I'd provide some thoughts using my plan for this spring.

I'm framing myself as a business where I have 10 years experience DJing weddings and special events and videography for numerous dance studio recitals in the area. I also advise that this is a new venture. As such I'm offering a fairly comprehensive wedding video package valued at $2000 for only $500. This is two cameras, two operators at the ceremony, wireless mics, coverage from prep to last dance and I will offer a special bonus of either a "How We Met" or "Photo Montage" vid. Whichever would best suit their personality and style. But it is an offer limited to the first six brides who book me with a deposit. Yep. I'm only doing six this year and I want to get them right. Besides I have at least six dance recitals around May/June and a full-time job and a family that keep me busy. ;-)

The price I'm offering is with the caveat that I will be using the footage for promotional purposes. Of course, any contract I do in the future will have that as a common feature but this will give me immediate material to put on our new website and provide as samples of my work.

Additionally I will invoice the Bride & Groom-to-be for $2000 with a detailed list of everything provided and then deduct the "introductory promotion rebate." That way, when referrals come in, there won't be the assumption from potential clients that they will get the same $500 deal.

Most of this strategy has been culled from info I've provided by the fine folk on this board who've been very helpful with their posts and have inspired me with their work.

If there's anything you can add to this strategy, please do.

Question #1. Has anyone considered a "resource thread" on this board for wedding videographers to provide music recommendations for wedding vids?

Or would that be a...copyright issue?

Question #2 (or is it 3? Damn. 4? Damn! 5? Oh, for crying out loud.) Has anyone offered their services as part of a grand prize draw at a bridal show?

Thanks again to everyone who has been so valuable on this board.

sincerely,

ian

A.J. Briones February 9th, 2006 10:20 AM

ian, your contract deduction is exactly how i started out, outlined as "special discount" on the contract. it's great because the b&g will be so appreciative and will let you do whatever you want because they know they are saving thousands.

imho, you don't have to do 6 of them. we did 1 @ significant discount, then charged full price, but would give $500 discounts to those weddings that we felt were perfect demo material (amazing locations + beautiful b&g = discount). after the first year, you can dictate your own pricing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Slessor
Hi gang,
Has anyone offered their services as part of a grand prize draw at a bridal show?

yes, i have done that. the idea came from watching the first season of "nip/tuck" and loving the idea of doing pro bono work to give back to the community. basically, the idea was that we'd do 1 pro bono wedding a year.

it gave us the opportunity to work with a really cool couple that we really liked, doing a really personal, smaller scale wedding. it was really beautiful, and a little different for us because we are usually doing higher-end weddings.

that said, i won't do a bridal show prize again, at least not in the near future. while we got the chance to work with a lovely couple, the show organizers handled the prize giveaways really horribly, and it was just all thrown together at the end when just about everyone had left the show.

in exchange, we got radio airplay during the week prior to the show, and got a lot of traffic to our booth. i'm of the impression that we would have received the same foot traffic without the prize, and the radio spot didn't really net much in the end.

we're still doing a pro bono wedding this year, but just not so publicly.

ymmv i guess.

good luck getting started!

Ben Lynn February 9th, 2006 02:16 PM

Ian,

Rather than offer a $2000 product at a $500 price, why not just let people know you're new and say that your price is $500? With the current wording you're saying that your $500 product is comparable to a $2000 product. I'm sure your product is good, but I don't know that it's worth $2000. You admit it yourself by offering a $1500 discount. It would be much better for you to simply offer a $500 starting price and not try to compare your work to others or give major discounts to try and make some type of amazing deal for the couple.

I think you'll find it's ok if you just let people know up front that your getting into the business. Be confident that you can cover their event and give them a quality product. They'll be ok with knowing that you're new but are working to give them a great video.

Better to overachieve and deliver more value on the $500 package than to disappoint because you couldn't deliver a $2000 package at $500.

Ben Lynn

Joe Allen Rosenberger February 9th, 2006 03:34 PM

[Ben...you hit the nail on the head. By offering your service as a 2,000.00 product for 500.00, it sounds like a deal that is TOO good to be true.....like those infommercials that say you can get rich by buying houses at no money down, etc etc. follow our steps and youll get rich!!! maybe not the perfect comparison but you get the idea.

i like the "honest" approach because wedding videography is such a "personal" type business. at 500.00, i know you will get clients who in many cases will not "expect" too much on what it will look like, then when you deliver a dvd that looks better than what they expected......you will have some very happy clients who will be more than happy to refer your services....and when you feel the time is right, raise your rates.

QUOTE=Ben Lynn]Ian,

Rather than offer a $2000 product at a $500 price, why not just let people know you're new and say that your price is $500? With the current wording you're saying that your $500 product is comparable to a $2000 product. I'm sure your product is good, but I don't know that it's worth $2000. You admit it yourself by offering a $1500 discount. It would be much better for you to simply offer a $500 starting price and not try to compare your work to others or give major discounts to try and make some type of amazing deal for the couple.

I think you'll find it's ok if you just let people know up front that your getting into the business. Be confident that you can cover their event and give them a quality product. They'll be ok with knowing that you're new but are working to give them a great video.

Better to overachieve and deliver more value on the $500 package than to disappoint because you couldn't deliver a $2000 package at $500.

Ben Lynn[/QUOTE]