FX Films needs constructive criticism!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 11th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #1
Major Player

FX Films needs constructive criticism!!

Hi everyone,

well i've literally just started out this year in wedding videography, and i'm saying a warm hello to everyone in this forum (some of the discussions are superb, so extensive!)

Just wondered if i'm on the right (or wrong) track with the various pages in my newly constructed website www.fxfilms.co.uk

Do people have constructive criticisms of this site?
What are your hints and tips to promote your company name and services?

Many thanks
Richard (info@fxfilms.co.uk)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I think the look and feel of you banner is good.

rings should be interlocking

Magazine page (home page) too wordy, should just set mood and have navagation and maybe a simple statement.

Too wordy in general (who cares how many chips you have in the camera or that your editing system is non linear. Those who know what a non linear editing system is will know every one uses non linear editing, those who don't you are speaking Greek to, why do that.) If a bride does become curious and asks a friend who knows they are going to tell her all basic editing systems are non linier even my $79 Primier Elements. That's just a come on. If you really feel you need to say all that don't do it on the Magazine page.

What is a modem fx?

I don't like asking questions like what makes us better and then posing more lengthey awnsers such as "or could it be the attention to detail with audio and music overlay" Just say "attention to detail" and then show me, if you really feel that is important but spare me all the song and dance.

"FX Films don't believe in charging the earth" shouldn't it be we at fx films don't ? I don't think you need this line anyway, seems silly, who charges the earth?

Type too small describing packages (that is important information and it is being minimized.)

Your gold package looks better than your platimum package visually. Exactly backwards, you need to fix that some how.

You shouldn't have a counter on your pages. make it go away, all it says to me is you haven't been in business that long. It's also not professional. Your website design examples are modest I wouldn't link to them.

The link to stock exchange is not going to help a bride. Don't link to it. Show her where to get good flowers, venues that will give out your cards, officiantss etc. Make those links work for you and the bride.

I dont' mean anything to sound harsh. It's exactly what I would say to may best friend if he came to me trying to get more business from his website.

Mike
Mike F Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Major Player

I pretty much agree with all of Mike's (above) comments.

Brides do not care about 3CCD, the latest this and the latest that, and how special you think you are....SHOW THEM what you can do......that is how you win brides over and be honest!

I wont write much cuz the above post has hit many good points......and this is not a knock down but rather "contructive" remarks.

Good luck with your business!
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Much appreciated

Thanks Mike, those are the exact points i'm after...if i ask someone i know, they say, 'oh your site looks fine' so to me, this forum is probably the ultimate way of gaining some truth!

I will work on the pages again today and pretty much take in all those points.

It didn't actually say 'modem fx', it was modern fx', but hey, a bride-to-be could laugh at that too so that needs to change

Here in the UK, other companies really do 'charge the earth' (up to £3000!) but i think maybe i should leave that bitter thought to myself! :)

and then the links...a couple of the images i have used were from Stock Exchange, and i've read that having 'strong' links to other established sites can help your site popularity...so that is my reasoning for keeping those in, what do you think?

Thanks, better to get things right and catch the bugs early!
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Mike definitely said pretty much I would have said. I especially think the website counter needs to go. Those belong back in the 90's.

If I could add one other thing, I just want to point out that your website's perceived popularity (as determined by a search engine) will be affected by websites LINKING TO YOU. If you just have links on your website that go elsewhere it doesn't help your popularity. You need to have links back to you as well.

Also, there is quite a bit of debate over how much having outside links influences your ranking in a search engine. It's worth getting some outside links, but don't stress too hard about it.

Final thought? I felt your website had consistent style, and in a good way. Nice work overall.
Old February 12th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Points considered, thanks

well i'm pretty much in agreement with those points, so i've made the ammendments accordingly...

yeah, now you mention it, counters are a bit dated and naff

The StockExchange website does mention my website in their site (but it's only on a personal page so i don't know if that really helps after all...i'll leave it in for the moment)

Cheers everybody, i'll be asking more wedding videography questions next time no doubt!
Old February 12th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #7
Inner Circle

hmm...

now thereve been points made which ring true, but one thing to always remember..

its not what you say, its how you say it...

You can ramble on, but if theres not much info on your site to differentiate what you do to the next guy, i wouldnt bother. If your site jsut tried the hard sell, then it wont work.. brides hear it everywhere they go.. they just wan to see the work and your prices.. not in that order...

Put it this way, the reason my own site works so well, is the fact that im one of the few who actually educates the client in what i do and how i do it. It gives them an idea of the flow of how i work and then if they have questions, they can ask. Another thing is that if they bypass all that, and they just want to be tyrekickers and ask questions, i direct them to the site for answers. 99.9% of the time, the questions they have are already answered for them. Also having it in writing gives them piece of mind.
Now my site is VERY wordy... but it explains everything. I try not to patronise the client, but sometimes you have to, just so it doesnt raise questions.
So mentioned 3CCD cameras is always a good thing, this saves them from assuming the worst.. BUT of course backing al this up is paramount to business success, so if you plan on writing certain things on your site, be sure you can back them up.

With regard to your "what maks us different"
i would definately change that...
People want piece of mine.. give it to them.. forget the "feel" element.. let the product speak for itself and to be honest, the product SHOULD sell itsef..
Also ease up on the sales pitching.. afew words here and there are fine, but to me it sounded very pushy and not bery "personal-feel" like...

Good luck with it.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques