Photo flash effect at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 12th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #1
Major Player

Photo flash effect

I'm looking for a better photo flash with sound effect than I'm currently using in Premiere Pro 6.5. I've seen some that look natural and not like the white matte thing I'm doing now.

Is anyone aware of a quality photo flash and pop effect?
Thanks for any advice,
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Trustee

All a flash does increase the amount of light, so if you can emulate overexposure, you are in business. There is also the persistence of vision effect due to the blinding light, but that is more a matter of perception.

I'm sure there must be a sound effect library with a camera flash. If you don't have such a library, maybe you can search the Creativecommons? I found this one.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Add blur, add levels, keyframe.

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys. Fooled around with some of your suggestions and added a few of my own to come up with something much better than a 10 frame opacity adjusted white matte.

I created a Titler mask with a B&W gradient and surrounding shadow. Rotated the gradient object to define the direction of the flash. Placed it on V3 over the white matte on V2. Made the white matte a Track Matte key and also added some Gaussian blur. Turned off the V3 video.

Changed the white matte color adding a little blue and voila, a more realistic photo flash that appears to spill on the subjects. Now I just need to find one of those flash bulb pop sounds.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harotunian
Now I just need to find one of those flash bulb pop sounds.
Bob
I don't know if it is what you are looking for...but I needed a good flash bulb pop sound for my submission to DVC 3 last Autumn in the short "Grim Parallax".
http://homepage.mac.com/lunarparcel/Grim_Parallax/
I was using an older style camera as the focal point and wanted to use the loud pop that maybe folks my age or older might still remember instead of the little whine and click that replaced the older sound. I wasn't happy with anything I found associated with flashbulb sound in several libraris I checked - but I found a 'punch' sound in my Hollywood Edge library that I received as a download promotional about a year or two ago (I think it was a .mac & iMovie promotional at the time). This is the sound I used to accompany my flashbulb effect and although it may not be exactly right, it is what I was looking for. Hope this helps.
-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques