DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Need Advice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/60617-need-advice.html)

Mike Phan February 13th, 2006 09:31 PM

Need Advice

Hey everyone. After the winter season it was unbearable. Now that spring is coming and I have a couple of weddings booked. The first one is FREE =P The second one is generously discounted. But my first wedding nontheless. I would like to know what are some of the important shots or "Must have" shots. Besides the obvious can any of the seasonal veterans help out? thanks all!

Mike

Richard Zlamany February 13th, 2006 10:34 PM

This is my second year as a wedding videographer.

Here is a quick list:

Establishing shots of ceremony site and reception hall.
Arrival of the Limos.
Best man congratulating the groom.
Bride entering church.
Processional.
Audience shots.
Ceremony/rings/vows.
Readers.
Part of the communion/peace.
Part of the recessional.
Limos leaving.

Announcements.
1st dance.
Blessings/Toast.
Dancing.
Cake cutting.
Parent Dances.
Desert Showcase.
Garter & Bouquet (Thanks Don)
Last Dance.

Don Bloom February 13th, 2006 10:50 PM

First I pretty much agree with the previous list but remember that once the processional starts you should never turn you camera off unless you need to change tapes and then you should be able to do that during the communion of the masses if its a Catholic full mass ceremony. If you start the ceremony off with a new tape a 60-63 minute tape SHOULD get you thru without changing.

I would keep shooting until the parents leave the pews (the recessional)
Depending on you editing style you may or maynot need it but you can't edit what you don't have.

Also for the reception you might want to include the garter and bouquet (I didin't see them on the list) and forget the last dance unless your agreement calls for it-mine doesn't unless the couple is willing to pay my OT for me to stay-but thats ME and how I've got MY agreement set up but I don't do 14 hour days anymore unless I'm getting paid (23 years in the video biz has taught me at least that one thing)
Also I haven't done a sweet table in probably 5 years-I have no use for that shot-its static the still photog can get that-I take 30 pictures a second, I want action and movement I want to tell the story of the day and to me that has little to do with food but again thats ME, shoot what you feel you need to make a good video and then OVERSHOOT. Remember you can't edit what you don't have.

Have fun
Don

Mike Phan February 13th, 2006 10:50 PM

Thank you Richard. I really appreciate it.

Richard Zlamany February 13th, 2006 11:28 PM

You are welcome.

Oh, the garter and bouquet are important too. Thanks for catching that Don.

Nick Weeks February 13th, 2006 11:41 PM

This is an excellent guide... thanks Richard and Don