Wedding Wattage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 20th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Wedding Wattage

What wattage do you guys typically use for your on-camera lights for things like receptions? Is 20w too dim to do any good? Is 50w generally overkill?
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Major Player

The question is harder to answer without knowing the camera.

I use the pd170 with a 10/20 watt and it is reasonable in that it is good for the image and doesn't make me receive nasty looks from the guests from the light being too bright. I use a diffuser.

Generally, I use 10 watts for everything at the reception and 20 watts when on the ladder.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Travis

Have you read this thread? http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=59456

Tony
Tony Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

My apologies. The cameras I use are all GL2's. I've never used a light at receptions in the past, because I hate drawing attention to the camera. However, I've decided to purchase a light and offer it as an option for the bride and groom.

Currently I'm looking at a Bescor KLK-624D which has 2 20w bulbs (so you can either go with 20w or 40w of light). It comes with a diffuser and has bottom and top barn doors (not sure how useful those are). It runs 75 minutes at 20w and 35 minutes at 40w.

Tony,
Thanks for the link. I'll read through that thread.
Old February 20th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Even though this has been talked about many times before I use a 20W with a softbox with my JVC5000 and had been using a 20W bulb with a diffusion in my Bescor and have found it to be a happy medium. 20W will light up an area for about 8-10 feet and with the softbox it is not a harsh light so it doesn't bother most people-past 10 feet, well get in closer!
The light you are using should work just fine with the GL2
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #6
Still Motion

I go with 250W and a dual stage softbox placed at the side of the floor and static. Fewer reactions as it doesn't follwo the camera and it does a lot for dances, speeches and footage of the guests. Doesn't work for all couples, but most opt for that after seeing the footage with the light and I have never had any compaints in follow up interviews.

Oops, just noticed you mentioned on camera lights so this may not be as useful of a comment.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Don,

Thanks for the input. Sounds like the Bescor will be a good option. The 40w option would allow me to use it in other projects where stronger lighter is not a concern.
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Patrick,

I guess your post appeared while I was typing mine. Thanks for sharing your approach.
Old February 21st, 2006, 01:07 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel
Currently I'm looking at a Bescor KLK-624D which has 2 20w bulbs (so you can either go with 20w or 40w of light). It comes with a diffuser and has bottom and top barn doors (not sure how useful those are). It runs 75 minutes at 20w and 35 minutes at 40w.
I recently switched to that model Bescor from more powerful 12V units, and I'm finding 20-40W to be adequate for most purposes with either my Canon GL1/GL2 or the Sony FX1. Even 20W can be distracting for some purposes, so I also ordered some 10W bulbs and use those on one side of one of my two-bulb kits.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 02:59 AM   #10
Inner Circle

So you're using the 10w bulbs with the Bescor unit? Am I understanding that right? Just replacing one of the 20w bulbs with a 10w?

Also, how would you rate the diffuser that comes with this unit?
Old February 21st, 2006, 09:15 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Yes: I have two of the Bescor two-bulb units and have been experimenting with various combinations of 10W, 15W and 20W bulbs. It's a bit of a hassle to change the bulbs though, so don't plan on doing that during an event. I also still have my 12V units which have 35-50W bulbs, but I haven't used those much since I got the 6V lights.

As far as the diffusers are concerned, they work okay but don't quite distribute the light far enough left to right for working with widescreen footage. I'm just working witht that as is for now but may eventually try to add a soft box.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques