2 wireless on same cam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:02 PM   #1
Major Player

2 wireless on same cam?

I currently have a Sennheiser G2. Thinking about getting another one but I read a post somewhere saying they had "dropout" problems using 2 on one cam because the receivers needed to be something like 8 inches apart - difficult to do on my VX. Seems to me seperate frequencies should take care of this, right? I'd be running them both through an XLR adapter.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't use the Sennheisers but I run 2 receivers about 80% of the time on my JVC5000. The primary receiver is attached to the camera with an Anton Bauer bracket and I simply velcro the 2nd receiver to the primary recievers bracket box. Since the 5000 only has 1 XLR input on the rear of the camera I use a "Y" cable I got from B&H and run both receivers to channel 2 with the shotgun going to channel 1 and although I can not split the channel 2 audio like you can channel 1 and channel 2 I generally have no problems with this setup as far as overlapping audio on channel 2. As for interference from the 2 receivers I have never had a problem at all with that. It might be the frequencies I'm on, it could be the fact that they are working on different antennas (1 is usually on antenna A and the other on antenna B) or it could be that there really is nothing to worry about at all.
As an example last week I did a promo for a radio station and there was also a TV station there. They were using 4 different wireless plus I had 2 running. We double checked our freqs and saw we were far enough away frequencywise from each other to not be a problem. I was archiving footage for the station and the TV guys were doing a live shoot. So the point is I've never seen the problem you describe at least not with decent UHF units but as I remember back to the bad old days there were some issues like that with the VHF units.
Sorry for the long post,
HTHs
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Major Player

I use 2 on my pd170 all of the time with no problems. We use the senh g2 and an akg pt81.

Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:55 PM   #4
Major Player

If you're using seperate freq's you should not have an issue, i have never heard of your problem. I use the PD150 but I never attach the receivers to the cam(sennheiser ew100's), what I do is use xlr cable's long enough so that the receivers can be attched to my waste area. By doing this you lighten the load/weight on your camera if shooting handheld....if you're on sticks the entire time then i guess it doesn't matter, but i personally do not like a bunch of things mounted to my camera other than wide angle/matte box.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:35 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger
...what I do is use xlr cable's long enough so that the receivers can be attched to my waste area.
so.....just how far up there are they mounted?....

sorry, the spelling gave me a hilarous mental image....I just had to make an immature comment. Ignore me, I'm just chuckling in the corner.
-Jon
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:44 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones

sorry, the spelling gave me a hilarous mental image....I just had to make an immature comment. Ignore me, I'm just chuckling in the corner.
-Jon

Do you have pictures of that "mount"? :)

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Mike
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Major Player

hey jonathan....i guess i left that wide open:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jones

-Jon
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:50 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:

AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:02 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
I guess its all coming out now
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:26 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
so that the receivers can be attched to my waste area.
I scratched my head on this one Joe but I just figured you were a tidy guy and had a trash bucket velcroed to your tripod or something :)

Anyway... I assume the two Senn G2's are closer than 8 inches on your belt so I'll take that as no problem on your end.

And to the others that responded... thank you. I'm using the XLR adapter by Sign Video for the VX and since your cams already have onboard XLR I'm wondering if this might be related to this problem. (The other gentleman that reported this had the same adapter as me).
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:38 PM   #11
Major Player

ok ok....what i meant is i wear the receivers...similar to the way a field soundman wears the mixer and lavs in a portabrace compartment and the xlr cables attach to the cam.....have you ever seen a handheld cam loaded with a light, wireless receivers....its rediculous looking not to mention the important thing....it is too heavy to cart around and shoot handheld, so there, i never put the receivers on the cam itself....HAH! and yes....the receivers are right next to each other with no issues...not YET.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:45 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Joe, I was wondering why those receivers smell so bad....
Mike Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques