Mic.and Light for DVC 30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 27th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #1
New Boot

Mic.and Light for DVC 30

I just bought a Panasonic DVC 30 with XLR and will be shooting a wedding for a friend. I need advice for a mic. and light for the event. If there is another good way to record the audio besides a mic. please advise. Thanks in advance.

Tim Richards
Tim Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I guess I'm a little confused. I was pretty sure the DVC30 had a mini input jack for audio.

I don't know what kind of budget you're working with, but probably you'd want to look at a shotgun and a wireless.

A nice shotgun for the price is a Rode VideoMic (XLR plug adapter for the VideoMic is available too).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:09 PM   #3
New Boot

He got the optional xlr box with his dvc30. The Rode video mic is a good start, lapel mics as well, a wireless setup with a shotgun might be what is needed here but again budget?

As for lights I'm still trying to figure out what to put on my dvc30 to use when it gets dark but a 20w+ light like one of those bescor jobs would be a minimum
Brendan Bhagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

"I was pretty sure the DVC30 had a mini input jack for audio."

((Its got both.. however if you connect the propretary XLR Balun, the mini jack is turned off. Once the Blun is connected, your given unbalanced XLRs))

I don't know what kind of budget you're working with, but probably you'd want to look at a shotgun and a wireless.

((agreed))

A nice shotgun for the price is a Rode VideoMic (XLR plug adapter for the VideoMic is available too).

((Personally i wouldnt touch the Rode video mic. On the other hand, the Rode NTG1 would work nicely and mount onto your balun without a problem. Youd then have your Shoe free to mount your light.

There are many light kits available, but for a 1/4CCD block, id recommend anything between 35w and 50w, with a diffusion filter or diffusion paper to even out the light.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I just got a Nady CM-2S today (it's still in the box). The specs Nady gives on it are virtually identical to the AT822 and it looks so much like an AT822 that it almost makes you wonder if they roll off the same assembly line. Anyway, for $100 I figured I'd try one out. I haven't tried it yet but it sure would be cool if it performs like an AT822.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks

Info greatly appreciated.

Tim
Tim Richards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques