DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Clip for review/pleasure (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/61762-clip-review-pleasure.html)

Seth Palmer February 28th, 2006 04:15 PM

Clip for review/pleasure

Just a fun recap of our first wedding of the year. Mostly clips I did not use for the rest of the wedding video because of shake or composure...

I use GL2's which are really letting me down these days and I am chompin at the bit to get something new...wish canon would intro something SOON!

www.amomentlikethis.net/clip/emily.wmv

enjoy...let me know what you think.

Terry Lyons February 28th, 2006 04:45 PM

Very nice Seth, I enjoyed the fast cuts, it felt fresh I liked that. Whats wrong with your gl2's it looked like they did fine. Thanks for sharing. TAG

Eric Hansen February 28th, 2006 04:54 PM

Dude, loved it! At no point of the video did I want to stop watching or fall asleep! lol. I bet the couple will love it. That's the kind of video that a couple would want to watch and show friends over and over again. Good Editing, I love beat cuts!

But I agree, the cameras did a fine job...

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com

Mike F Smith February 28th, 2006 05:19 PM

Really great Seth!!! I liked it a lot.

Mike

Robert M Wright February 28th, 2006 08:42 PM

You've got some real talent for editing. Very entertaining piece really. Moves right along and makes you smile. I'd give that to the couple. They'd probably love having it. If you do decide to give it to them, you might want to work a bit on the color, particularly in the first few cuts.

Robert M Wright February 28th, 2006 08:55 PM

Say Seth, if you wanted to take a step up from the GL2s, without spending much at all, you might look at selling the GL2s and replacing them with GY-DV300Us. I think you would find the DV300s would be a nice little step up in performance, and at the prices the respective cameras are fetching on eBay these days, you could actually pocket a modest little profit in the process. I got a DV300 with about 20hrs on the drum (basically all but new), for under 1k. That was pretty much a steal, but I've been watching the DV300s sell between 1000-1300, for cameras in good to excellent operating condition, which is still pretty darn good for the performance they offer. GL2s in good shape tend to go for a little more.

Seth Palmer February 28th, 2006 10:17 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback!

The GL2's that I am using are racking up a lot of hours taping and also a lot of hours at CANON SERVICE! All the usual stuff...rejects the tape (all I have ever used is Sony Excellence), keeping heads clean (just from amount of use I guess)...one just got back from adjusting/cleaning and the other is on the way via fed-ex today. The one that just got back from Canon service didn't hold a manual white balance last Saturday (I set it and it kept getting really yellow, then white...yelllow then white)...so I set it back to auto? I am really trying to hold out until Canon comes out with their HD, but will look into the DV300's...we are a mostly photo company, but I LOVE video!...just don't have the big bucks to put into it.
As far as the color...I messed with it a bit at the beginning of the clip for this, but need to go back and tweak it a bit...thanks..this is the end of their video and I think they will get a kick out of it!

Robert M Wright February 28th, 2006 11:22 PM

Really does sound like you'll need to replace those cameras in the not all to distant future. Is the one that just got back holding manual WB now? Do you need a backup camera until you do replace the GL2s? I've got a DVC7 that I'm probably going to be selling soon. When you fix the color on those first few cuts, if you wind up getting a little to much noise in the image from boosting saturation, there's a bit of a trick I've developed, using a gentle combination of spatial and temporal filtering, which can help nicely sometimes. If you'd like, you can drop me an email sometime.

Paul Gallagher March 1st, 2006 09:30 AM

I really loved that clip and the editing to tjhe music was great, I wopuld love to be able to put out a highlights like that.
What do you use to edit on and what is the song you used, a really good song, I loved it?

Paul

Patrick Pike March 1st, 2006 10:04 AM

You did a great job with this video. It conveys a great sence of energy and love for the b&g. Plus you were able to get lots of creative shots in.

Some ideas-

When you "degrade a clip", such as bride walking down aisle (at 1:00), I have found it usefull to scale the clips size down to help the idea that it is 'old' footrage. Also, I have also found that doing this lets me use really shaky footage that I would otherwise throw away. Perhaps when the bride and groom are walking out together (at 1:34) you could use the same effect.

On a side note-

I know whatt you mean about the GL2's. I've been using them for about 2 years now (XL's before that) and I feel like I've hit a brick wall with my shooting-they are starting to hold me back. I just got rid of 3 of my GL2's and will probably move up to a set Sony FX1's--it just seems about time to me, since Canon cant make anything affordable.

Edward Slonaker March 1st, 2006 10:49 AM

WOW! Great video! I can see where the bride & groom would be thrilled with it. Really good timing on the edits and overall tempo. Not so sure about the "old movie" look with the bride walking down the aisle. I might've used a soft focus filter, but I guess that's rather cliche. Still, very impressive work.

Robert M Wright March 1st, 2006 11:54 AM

Canon makes very nice cameras, but they are pricey. The JVC GY-DV300U, that I mentioned earlier in this thread, is the camera that I think offers the best bang-for-the-buck, for a handheld SD 4:3 miniDV camera. The prices they go for used nowadays are just insanely low for the quality of the footage you can get out of them. Lots of image acquisition control. I love having graduated levels of black stretch on that camera.

Seth Palmer March 1st, 2006 09:40 PM

Again, thanks for taking the time to comment...

I use Avid (formerly Pinnacle) Liquid 7. It works ...but needs some kinks worked out.
The old look I went for bcs. I know the couple likes black and white stuff...I actually changed the whoel beginning part (up to the dress shot) to black and white...it looks pretty cool. I actually had a "dream glow" on it at first but wanted to go for a choppier/more fun look...I don't know. I will try to downsize it a bit at 1:00 and 1:39...thanks for that!

Yeah, the song. Brad Paisley wrapped around...we have all our bride and grooms send us 3-4 songs and we pick and choose which to use and where...

The white balance issue occured after I received it back from canon! Yeah, they tightened up stuff and cleaned heads, replaced a cracked handle (oops) and replaced the zoom button (it wasn't responding). The first wedding I shot with it, I was white balancing in the church and I noticed after it set that it was going blue to yellow, blue to yellow...yikes, better put it to auto...so I have some color correcting to do post...not the end of the world, but it needs fixed AGAIN!

Robert M Wright March 1st, 2006 11:21 PM

That white balance problem does not sound good. I'd seriously consider replacing that camera before sinking anymore into repair.