DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Smoothness (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/61834-smoothness.html)

Mike Phan March 1st, 2006 11:43 AM

Smoothness

Hey guys, I've just shot a short "date/engagement" video and I notice in post that when I slow down the clip to 45% it doesn't seem to be very smooth like others. I shot it with my XL2 on 60p and WS. Am I doing anything wrong? I would like to have to motion a bit more smoother in post. Thanks for the help in advance.

Mike

Robert M Wright March 1st, 2006 12:15 PM

Maybe you could put the clip on the web so we could look at it.

Mike Phan March 1st, 2006 12:24 PM

I will after i get two things done first. To have the couple sign a release form and find a webhosting site.

Craig Terott March 1st, 2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Phan
Hey guys, I've just shot a short "date/engagement" video and I notice in post that when I slow down the clip to 45% it doesn't seem to be very smooth like others. I shot it with my XL2 on 60p and WS. Am I doing anything wrong? I would like to have to motion a bit more smoother in post. Thanks for the help in advance.

Mike

"Smoothness" has a lot to do with shutter speed. Hypothetically, if your clip was shot outside on a bright day and your camera was in Auto, the shutter would likely be fast causing a strobe look when you slow it down.

Was the camera in Auto? What were the light conditions?

Mike Phan March 1st, 2006 02:56 PM

Hey Craig you're right its on auto. Gosh Now i know for my next shoot on the 15th of this month. Hehehehe I will do soemthing testing with lighting. Again i'm an amatuer compared to you guys. Appreciate the feedback...i will post my findings.

Mike Oveson March 1st, 2006 05:15 PM

Just to clarify one thing you mentioned. You said that you shot it in 60P? 60P or 60i? As far as I know the XL2 won't shoot in 60P, but it will shoot progressive in 30fps or 24fps. I just wondered if I had it wrong. If that baby shoots in 60P then you're all set for crystal clear slo-mo.

Robert M Wright March 1st, 2006 06:20 PM

Yeah, what Mike said made me stop and think, 480/60p is an impossibility with DV format video. If it's 30p it is going to have some judder when slowed down. 60i could be turned into nice slo-mo though. I know a way to deinterlace 60i nicely to 60p, but 30p is never going to have a temporal resolution greater than 30fps.

Robert M Wright March 1st, 2006 06:24 PM

Maybe I should take that back. I think there was somebody working on a VirtualDub filter to take 30p and generate in-between frames using some sort of interpolation to produce 60p. I wonder if he got anywhere with that.

A.J. Briones March 1st, 2006 06:41 PM

hi mike. you'll need a filter to help with frame blending when you slow down past 50%. i use magic bullet for color correction, but it has the added benefit of frame blending my slow mo shots.

Marcus Marchesseault March 1st, 2006 10:00 PM

Or get software that makes great slo-mo video from goodervideo.com. For most things, it looks fantastic. It intelligently interpolates new frames of video. The slo-mo software alone is only about $25.

Robert M Wright March 1st, 2006 10:48 PM

Say Marcus, have you tried the other GooderVideo apps too? They do have me curious.

Jack Smith March 1st, 2006 11:38 PM

What editor are you using? and are viewing the timeline or a rendered clip?

Craig Terott March 2nd, 2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.J. Briones
hi mike. you'll need a filter to help with frame blending when you slow down past 50%. i use magic bullet for color correction, but it has the added benefit of frame blending my slow mo shots.

FCP does frame blending on it's own without plugins. There is a check box for frame blending for any speed change (by default it is on) and it does a nice job compared to other editors according to Event DV's article "Battle of the NLE's." I don't think that is the problem. Mike did acknowledge that his camera was in AUTO and the camera could easily have been compensating for a lot of light.

Mike - I highly recommend the training DVD "Camera Command."