Mic on the bride - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:12 PM   #16
Major Player

Waldemar has ideas with merit

Well planned production will always win. This is real documentary work so why not be the best at it.

Thanks for the insightful piece on mic placement for a bride. I think this will work just fine.

Also, your cool reply is a welcome contrast to the "DUUUUUDE what are you doing" perspective.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:20 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Well, here is my market research on the issue. I took a trip to the local high end wedding gown shop and asked the 8 brides that came in during the hour I was there about this issue.

The question: "If you had the choice between perfect audio with you wearing a mic and fairly good audio without you wearing a mic, which would you choose?"

I also showed them what they would wear (lectrosonics wireless).

wear a mic = 0
not wear it = 8

That's enough for me!

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:56 PM   #18
Major Player

I say it like it is....take it or leave it but Gene needs solid advice here....not some wack opinions on where to place a mic. I work in television as a camera op and field sound besides the wedding stuff, so I know from much experience how to get the audio needed. How does leaving a bridesmaid to turn on your wireless set up hold merit....it doesnt, plain and simple....not to mention you are asking for serious trouble by doing so. Maybe he holds other good ideas, but that has nothing to do with the thread.
Gene....try what I explained earlier and I bet you will be happy with the results.....and your client(the bride) will be soooo happy she isn't stuck with wearing a wireless mic....GUARENTEED! Also....make sure you do not (coil) the slack of the lav cable....another no no...can give you audio issues, simply have the groom place it down his pants leg if possible....youll need some privacy for this part obviouisly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McKenzie
Well planned production will always win. This is real documentary work so why not be the best at it.

Thanks for the insightful piece on mic placement for a bride. I think this will work just fine.

Also, your cool reply is a welcome contrast to the "DUUUUUDE what are you doing" perspective.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:29 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger
...I work in television as a camera op and field sound besides the wedding stuff, so I know from much experience how to get the audio needed.
I gather from this comment that my Masters degree in theatrical staging techniques, ten years professional theatre experience, and twenty five years work as an audio visual technician in the meetings and conventions industry (where I typically used in live situations a dozen wireless mic systems virtualy every working day) doesn't count for much in the way of experience.

The fact is every working professional develops preferred methods of using the tools of their trade, usually based upon what they have learned gives them reliable results. Some pros learn how to be flexible and adaptable. Some don't.

Quote:
How does leaving a bridesmaid to turn on your wireless set up hold merit....
That will depend upon how well the equipment is prepared and how much of a command one has with the English language. Giving clear, simple, succinctly stated instructions goes a long way towards avoiding potential problems.

Quote:
Also....make sure you do not (coil) the slack of the lav cable....another no no...can give you audio issues, simply have the groom place it down his pants leg if possible....youll need some privacy for this part obviouisly.
Absolutely! Most wireless lapel mic systems use the shield of the mic cable as an antenna. Coiling the cable can significantly reduce transmission range and a host of other issues as well.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:40 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cook
Well, here is my market research on the issue. I took a trip to the local high end wedding gown shop and asked the 8 brides that came in during the hour I was there about this issue.

The question: "If you had the choice between perfect audio with you wearing a mic and fairly good audio without you wearing a mic, which would you choose?"

I also showed them what they would wear (lectrosonics wireless).

wear a mic = 0
not wear it = 8

That's enough for me!

Mike
My personal experience runs about 10% of the weddings I shoot will involve a bride who is receptive to the idea. Most are so caught up in the planning and worrying about last minute details that dealing with a wireless mic is just one more detail at a time when just about every detail is an annoying one.

Nonetheless, I really like the quality of sound I get with a mic placed as close to the source as possible, so I make the subject a point of discussion as early as possible, like when the contract is signed. At some point the bride makes a decision and, I accept that as final.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:35 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I would NEVER ask a bride to wear a mic, for several reasons.

By mic'ing the groom and the officiant I will have 2 sources for the bride that I can boost in post for acceptable sound.

There aren't really any good ways with a bride to disguise the mic. Ace-bandaging a transmitter and using a bunch of white tape is an ingenius idea and would work really well for a movie of a wedding. However, a bride wants to look and feel beautiful on her wedding day, and I guarantee you that most brides (meaning the VAST majority) will not be interested in strapping on equipment.

The idea for double-mic'ing the groom and adjusting the levels is a great tip, and I certainly would do that before I would slap a mic on a bride.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:42 AM   #22
Inner Circle

No bride slapping, that's for sure ...LOL.

Sorry Travis, I just couldn't resist. :)
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:57 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Bride slapping is a great way to get yourself into a new field of work though . . . . d:-)
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:02 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I guess that is one way to make a career move!
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:10 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Or get yourself killed outright!
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:11 AM   #26
Major Player

yeah....the only reason i mentioned double mic'ing the groom is in the event the officiant wont allow himself.herself to be mic'd by us....and it has happened only once....the priest was not having a wireless mic on his body, dont know why as we didnt press the issue.....so we were forced to double mic the groom....and set levels differently for ea. the groom and bride/priest.....worked well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel
I would NEVER ask a bride to wear a mic, for several reasons.

By mic'ing the groom and the officiant I will have 2 sources for the bride that I can boost in post for acceptable sound.

There aren't really any good ways with a bride to disguise the mic. Ace-bandaging a transmitter and using a bunch of white tape is an ingenius idea and would work really well for a movie of a wedding. However, a bride wants to look and feel beautiful on her wedding day, and I guarantee you that most brides (meaning the VAST majority) will not be interested in strapping on equipment.

The idea for double-mic'ing the groom and adjusting the levels is a great tip, and I certainly would do that before I would slap a mic on a bride.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:25 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Another idea that can work for certain situations is to place the mic within the setting itself. For example, if the bride and groom are standing under a tent, you can tape your transmitter to one of the supports in the roof of the tent and let the mic dangle down so it is above the bride and groom.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:27 AM   #28
Major Player

we've done similar...forgot to mention that one, good note travis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel
Another idea that can work for certain situations is to place the mic within the setting itself. For example, if the bride and groom are standing under a tent, you can tape your transmitter to one of the supports in the roof of the tent and let the mic dangle down so it is above the bride and groom.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:33 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Wouldn't it make more sense to dangle a shotgun?
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:18 AM   #30
Regular Crew

I don't think a shot would work out. Unless it was a really unique situation it would be way obtrusive. Also, the shot won't get the audio you are after, it just picks up too much (coughs, cell phones etc)

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques