Very cool effects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 4th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Very cool effects

I saw a wedding video last night that was very cool...although it infringed on copyrighted material...I thought I would share with you what the editor did.

To describe the video, it was a fast paced upbeat montage with a guitar soundtrack that matched the clips pretty well...no vocals. Lot's of short bursts of clips with longer sequences in between. This was included at the end of a 45 minute wedding video as an extra. It was only about 3 to 4 minutes.

During some of these bursts she added some very short (3 secs?) clips from instantly recognizable movie stars from various movies. The way she did it made them seem to be part of the wedding. It was all done with humour intended and worked really well.

Just thought I would share this...it really made me laugh and the B&G were totally cracked up. There was a scene with Tom Cruise from Jerry McGuire where he was talking to Renne Zelweger that was truly believable.
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Is this something we can see on the web?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
Is this something we can see on the web?
I don't think so. I will check on that though. The videographer was not from the area I live in, I just was able to see the video through an inlaw of the B&G when they were visiting.
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sounds risky. I think the music issue is enough to sink most of us. Tossing video in there seems like poking the bees nest...

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Comeau
During some of these bursts she added some very short (3 secs?) clips from instantly recognizable movie stars from various movies. The way she did it made them seem to be part of the wedding. It was all done with humour intended and worked really well.

Could this be parody? I know that parody is not a yes/no test for fair use but it could be a start. Any comments from the legaly minded?

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm going to throw in with Mike on that one. The music issue is grey enough that most of us are flying low and hoping that the recording industry keeps going after file sharers. I wouldn't stir the pot on this more than needs be. Even though I think it is fun and the results can often be hilarious, for a public viewing or commercial event it's too risky. Sorry I can't bring more of an authoritative legal voice to the discussion. Anyone else?
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques