"Why hire a pro" story needed... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 12th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #16
Major Player

OK, who am I? Someone who makes a lot less per wedding that Ken Ehrhart! I was just reading this artical at EventDV:

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/Read...rticleID=10044

and saw this:

"The booklet continues with a helpful FAQ section that provides lucid, detailed answers to such questions as, "Why a professional, when my friend can videotape for free?"

refering to the marketing booklet that he gives out to prospective clients, so...I'd listen to him more than me even though I do stand by the logic I stated above...if they are looking at your site they are already looking for a pro or they wouldnt be there to begin with.
Daniel Runyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #17
Inner Circle

"Peter having lots of info is Ok, but having no demos? How does that help? The main questions any bride is going to ask are

1. can i see your work
2. what do you charge "

And this is where we nail the client.. this "cause and effect" sales technique really does work (for me anyway) being that theyre so into the site and teh info on there (compared to other sites in Aus, our site covers all the bases) theyre usually compelled to contact us for prices and demos.

And once they do, we nail them with full detailed price lists as well as sweetalking them into a consultation and i have to say, 99% of the people i meet book us and we're averaging anythign between 50 to 60 weddings a year, (back to backs and friday weddings are waht bring these numbers up) but i NEVER doublebook

With regard to the definition of what is "professional" everyone has to start somewhere, and even though i dont like the idea of newbies undercutting the veterans, its a true fact that the part timers wil most likely undercharge teh client. Thats ok though coz in the end the workload will increase and theyll be forced to go at it full time and charge appropriately..
If only they figured out this fact prior to charging what they did, then they wouldnt be in the backlogued workload and underpaid mess.
Ive seen this happen MANY times and its a sad fact but its there.

As for "professional" if you have a REGISTERED BUSINESS, you pay taxes, you claim your equipment, you are charging a client for the use of your equipment skills and labour, then irrespective of whether you are part time or not, you are BEING professional. Id have to say that almpost every videographic business starts out this way...
Whether your a GOOD professional (skills or otherwise) remains to be seen, but the fact remains, the general public see u as such.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques