The name game....insights for a videography name. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 19th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The name game....insights for a videography name.

I know there have been threads about people asking what they should name thier company. But boy this is a very mind numbing process and I have LOTS of work todo with other aspects of my videography business and I just can't seem to think of a halfway decent name. I know most people use thier name but I want to intergrate my name with something catchy of course. My last name is Brickner. So I was thinking of going with Bricksharp Digital Video Services but maybe you fine people here at dvinfo.net can help me with something better.
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 03:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Not all people are fortunate to have a "marketable" and naturaly good sounding name such as yours, so in my opinion....perhaps something like this:

(John Brickner Videography), I like it...its simple, personal and you have a cool sounding name, and leave out the "digital video services".....sounds "tacky"....the thing with the "digital video" part, most people know that video is digital nowadays.....so its not needed in your name and using that term is a bit "passe'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brickner Jr
I know there have been threads about people asking what they should name thier company. But boy this is a very mind numbing process and I have LOTS of work todo with other aspects of my videography business and I just can't seem to think of a halfway decent name. I know most people use thier name but I want to intergrate my name with something catchy of course. My last name is Brickner. So I was thinking of going with Bricksharp Digital Video Services but maybe you fine people here at dvinfo.net can help me with something better.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
...My last name is Brickner. So I was thinking of going with Bricksharp Digital Video Services but maybe you fine people here at dvinfo.net can help me with something better.
Hi John,

I agree with Joe's suggestion. Keep it simple. If you don't like the word videography try John Brickner Films, John Brickner Productions, John Brickner Studios, John Brickner Cinema, etc.
Old March 19th, 2006, 02:28 PM   #4
Trustee

Brickner Media

-Jon
Old March 19th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

"productions" "Studios" "Media"... all lend themselves to expanding services, where as "Videography" is a bit limiting.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Brickner Video is simple, to the point and easy to remember, and www.bricknervideo.com is available (so is .net and just about any other extension).

That's not an active hyperlink, but I don't know how to format the URL name so as not to display as a hyperlink.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #7
Wrangler

i'll second "Brickner Media," FWIW...second place to "Brickner Video"

adding "videography" sounds clunky, and it's not always that recognizable of a word to non-videographers.

"Bricksharp" sounds a little contrived....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #8
Trustee

I just registered bricknervideo.com, and I'll sell it to you for $500! :)

Personally, I like a name that incorporates yours, yet is not your given name. Kind of like your "Bricksharp" idea.

What do I think of when I hear "brick"? Well, first it's "Brick House" by The Commodores, but after that it's:

Solid
Dependable
Heavy
Square
Long-lasting

I also don't like the whole "digital services" stuff. It's vague. I don't want people to have to ask "What is it you actually do?"

So, considering all of that, I would suggest:

Yellow Brick Productions (get it? Yellow Brick Road?)
Brickhouse Video
Brick By Brick Productions

Well, that's just to get you thinking.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks alot for the help. I was gonna go with "One Man and a Cam" Productions if all else fails but I got some good ideas now. :)
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:32 AM   #10
Major Player

i realy like your personal name over the one man and a cam name....dont forget in the wedding world......you're more likely to be selling yourself to "bride's"....and not the grooms although some will partake in the process. and it is the bride's who chat on forums....talk about how wonderful their wedding was, etc. they will be the one'e referring your services so try to make your company as attractive as you can to the ladies....

Quote:
Thanks alot for the help. I was gonna go with "One Man and a Cam" Productions if all else fails but I got some good ideas now. :)
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Oh I was just kidding about the "one man" name. That was just my failed attempt at humor.
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #12
Major Player

I'd second what most others have said already. Go with Brickner Media, Brickner Studios, Brickner Productions, but don't use Videography or Video Services in the name. Sounds like you're living in '82. =) Good luck with the name. I found my approach was to go with someone professional sounding and not overly cheesy. We have several companies around here that are really sappy, like "Perfect Day Video" and "Holding Hands Video". I know we're selling to brides, but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. At least to me. Good luck with it. Let us know what you decide.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #13
Regular Crew

If you are pairing a photography service with a videography service, could you get away with calling your company "Such and such photography and videography"?
Brian Farris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I'll probably go with Brick Road Video. Thanks to all those who gave suggestions.
Old March 21st, 2006, 10:34 PM   #15
Major Player

Sometimes it seems like little things such as choosing a name can be one of the biggest challenges.

Checking out others' sites on the web, I've seen some pretty cool names and some that are pretty lame.

I started out doing strictly photo montages. I used the name Emery Video Creations. I got a web domain. Because I didn't want to make the name a mile long, I went with emeryvideo.com.

Now I've expanded into wedding videography and other productions. Since I had my domain name intact, I decided to make emeryvideo.com my index page. From there, visitors can choose to go to Emery Video Creations for wedding and event videography, or they can go to Emery Video Productions which is geared towards corporate and training videos, or they can go to Emery Video Services which is set up mainly for VHS to DVD transfer and duplicating.

I didn't want to use one name to target everyone that I'd like to market to. I thought it would confuse people so although I maintained a "centralized" name, I sort of branched it out in order to direct potential clients to their area of interest when they arrive at the (internet) front door.

On my business cards, I use EmeryVideo.Com. That way I don't have to print up a bunch of different cards with different names.

I suppose I might sound a bit like I'm "living in '82". I'm only trying to make it clear to potential clients just what it is I do. And while a name may seem like a very important consideration, I believe the quality of your work and the reputation you build will speak much louder to clients than the name on your business card.

Just my thoughts, for what it's worth.
Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques