DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   opinions of slideshow... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/63817-opinions-slideshow.html)

Vincent Croce March 27th, 2006 09:16 PM

opinions of slideshow...

I'd appreciate any comments on this wedding slideshow--the video footage was taken with a single ccd Sony (before I got my PD170s) so don't expect much quality there...thanks in advance.
Vin
http://www.firsttakestudios.com/demos/jjmusicvideo.wmv
smaller version-- http://www.firsttakestudios.com/demo...sicvideosm.wmv

Monday Isa March 28th, 2006 08:12 AM

Hey Vincent, the link you provided just sends me to a page that has so many characters it locks up my internet page. Basically your video file isn't there. Could you fix the link? Thanks

Dan Shallenberger March 28th, 2006 08:49 AM

I was able to view it, but only by right-clicking and downloading the file. And 53 megs?! While broadband handled it well, a lot of people won't want to download a 53 meg file.

I'm glad I did though. I thought it was very good. Your timing with the music was great! Great song choice I thought. Good movement and pacing as well. I thought the video clips looked good, and they looked like there was enough there to tweak the colors and pop them a little more. I really loved some of the effects you used, but sometimes it seemed to be a tad too much. I think it would have been interesting to try setting up the video clips with the same border you have on the photos, still seeing some of the background photo behind it. Also might have been cool to try using some subtle stock sunset footage with clouds moving and waves crashing, as opposed to a still photo, in the background. Just a couple of thoughts.

I really liked what you did though! You stepped way outside of the old-style slideshow format, which is great. My boss still does it that way, complete with black edges for vertical photos and about 30 different cheesy transitions, and it's so stale and boring to me.

Dan

Vincent Croce March 28th, 2006 09:18 AM

you're right about the file size...

Dan--First, thanks for the feedback. I agree that using moving footage would look better for the background than the stills, but the background photos are actually from their honeymoon in Hawaii, so I'd prefer to stay away from any stock pics or footage here (although some of their HMoon pics were pretty darn good, no?). I also really like your idea of using that same border (from an old PhotoGraphicEdges plugin) on the video, though--good advice.
Here's a smaller wmv...rendering a quicktime version as we speak, so Monday (cool name, BTW) will probably be able to see it.
http://www.firsttakestudios.com/demo...sicvideosm.wmv
Vin
I also see where the effects were used too much, like in that b&g entrance shot where I used that flash/zoom effect about 4 times--should have mixed it up a bit there. Where else would less FX be more? Was that spinning group of photos too much? The b&g loved it, but of course you guys have the critical perspective that I need to hear.
Monday, I figure you don't have windows media player set up, so I'll throw that qt mov up as soon as it's done cookin'. Also, I noticed on your profile that you do quinceneras. I have that listed as a service, but I'm at a loss on how to market it. How do you find customers for your quinces? And is 'quinces' a well known short version of 'quinceneras' so I should shorten it on my card and site?
Thanks...
Also, Dan--got a tip a while ago from DSE re timing in music vids, which you might know already. Once the music is in place, keep time with it by rhythmically hitting your 'm' key to place markers right on the beats (that's in Vegas--not sure for other NLE's). Really speeds things up.

Dan Shallenberger March 28th, 2006 10:11 AM

Hey Vincent,

I didn't know that bkg photo was personal to the couple... by all means, use it then. I notice that a lot. When I view clip posted here, I have to remember that you know the clients, not me. And there could be some personal things in there that the client would love that we wouldn't (like music choice, clip choice, photo choice, etc.). Also, the clients do not have the critical eye we do, partly because they can remember everything that happened in the photos/video and relate to it... we have no clue.

The main spot I noticed an "effect-gone-bad" (in my opinion only) is the part where you're popping between the regular still and what looks like a zoom-blur of that same still. Kindof messed with my eyes. Also, although I liked the effect where the color popped into a b/w photo, I thought it was overused a tad bit. Remember, these are just my own opinions, and overall I really enjoyed watching your clip. I got some good ideas for my own work.

One thing I saw on tv one time was a slideshow where each still was on-screen with a cool border, and the background was a b/w version of that same still enlarged, both panning like the ken burns effect. The foreground image was moving slowly, and the bkg image a bit faster. I'm terrible at explaining it, but it looked very cool.

As far as timing to the music, I do the exact same thing. Just hit M on the beats to lay a marker... works the same in FCP. During the peak areas of the song, I'll add some markers to the timeline in addition to the music track to let me know where they are at a glance when dropping clips in.

Dan

Vincent Croce March 28th, 2006 10:32 AM

qt mov of sshow...

Yeah Dan, that was the same spot that I thought you were talking about--the zoom/blur on the b&g entrance. The finished package was given a while ago- I was just fishing for comments on this thing to improve for future work. But I completely agree with your opinion on that and also on the overuse of the b&w/color swapping thing.
I think I know what Ken Burns-like effect you're talking about--sounds like a job for AEffects--what software would you use for doing that? Do you strictly stick with FCP? (never used it myself). I'm wondering if Vegas could pull it off using a few 3d layers? Any advice from fellow vegas users?

Here's a qtmov of that same sshow, Monday. The quality isn't as nice as either of the wmv's, but I'm hoping you can at least see it on your machine.
It's still over 18 mb, though.
http://www.firsttakestudios.com/demos/jjmusicvideo.mov

Dan Shallenberger March 28th, 2006 11:05 AM

Nope... I use FCP for editing, and After Effects for the slideshow stuff. I know nothing about Vegas, so I can't help you there. AE is perfect for the 3d type stuff. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but from what I have used, it's very nice and very powerful.

The ken burns thing is just showing a still photo with some sort of movement, whether it's a pan or zoom, rather than sitting still on-screen. I've seen my share of slideshows that are just still shots sitting there with some cheesy transition between images... not pretty! There are so many very cool techniques people are using now to spice up slideshows!

Dan

Monday Isa March 28th, 2006 11:12 AM

Hey Vincent, thanks for converting the file to mov. I was able to actually view the wmv. file as well, it's just I didn't know you had to right click and save the file (thanks for that dan). You did a great job. I really enjoyed your timing with the music, and it was fun to watch. Dan really hit the points I would say for comments. Your really heading in a great direction. About the quinceneras I'll send you an email about how I run in that type of business. Also about working with the 3D layers in Vegas, it's quite possible to do the ken burns effect. I never knew that's what it was called till you guys mentioned the name. Just put the first track in 3d mode and the second track as standard alpha mode in vegas, do some cropping if need be on the second track, and adjust the z path on the position in the first track and it shouldn't be a problem at all. Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing

Vincent Croce March 28th, 2006 11:18 AM

Actually, whatever app your browser has set up as the default for viewing online video will open the file without having to rt click and save. It seems that you guys don't have a default player set up for wmv files...
Thanks for the critique, I appreciate your time. I'll be looking for your email on the quinces.
Vin

Richard Wakefield March 28th, 2006 03:16 PM

Hi all,

I really enjoyed watching your slideshow....looks like alot of well-spent time went into it!

I've just filmed and edited my very first 'Love Story' and Wedding films, so i'm completely new to all this.

It's only fair that we share ideas so here's how i work with my photo slideshows:

http://www.fxfilms.co.uk/examples.htm
(it's about 30 secs in, part of the Love Story extracts:)

bit trippy i know, and it seems to be quite different to everyone else's slideshows i've seen on this forum? Although reading Dan Shallenberger's message above, I seem to have a variation of what he is trying to explain (and no Vincent, you don't even need After Effects for that...just two to three layers in your NLE, and Photoshop to cut the people out of course!)....

cheers

Vincent Croce March 28th, 2006 03:40 PM

trippy...in a great way!

Thoroughly liked your demo-I'm a big fan of just leaving the red channel, especially when it comes to roses, so I liked all of that. I dug the music-what was the second tune? Thought the bouquet toss was a bit on the dark side-what camera(s) did you use for that scene? Only other thing I might have done differently would be the couple of toasting scenes. I wanted to hear the well wishes given by the family/guests there.
No After Effects used in my slideshow, just Vegas/Pshop. Love the ease of working with 3d layers in Vegas...
Nice work, Richard! Wouldn't mind seeing more of your work. Also not a bad idea having the single all purpose demo for your site.
Oh yeah, on your FAQ page a minor typo--'seemlessly' (sp) Should be seamlessly...hey, I though you guys invented the language!

Richard Wakefield March 28th, 2006 03:49 PM

oh cheers! i didn't expect praise...i'm a newbie!

u're spot on though Vin..i regret now not including some speech through the messages, and yes the bouquet toss came out far too dark! i might go back to that some time..

oops, typo now fixed on FAQ page, u have eyes like a hawk, but i'm grateful!

i used my new investment, the Sony HDR-FX1E for the whole shoot...recommendations from this very forum made me shell out for that, and i've been a happy chappy ever since.

the songs are Jack Johnson - Better Together, and Robbie Williams - She's The One, hope that helps

well i'll be posting more clips then in the near future and hoping to see some more from the rest of you :)

P.S. SORRY I DON'T WANT TO HIJACK THE ORIGINAL THREAD BY SHOWING MY OWN WORK...I'LL START IT AS A NEW THREAD....