How best do I use these recording resources? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 28th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #1
New Boot

How best do I use these recording resources?

I am doing a wedding this coming Sat, with the rehersal and rehersal dinner on Thurs.
Here are the basics. I am wondering how best to deploy the sound recording devices to get the best sound during the wedding and reception. For the rehersal,we be shooting portions of it with one camera on a tripod, one on the run:

its a 2 person, 2 camera shoot. I am using 2 xl1s's, one possibly on a tripod behind the alter, the other as a run and gun. Here is the sound equipment.

std mics on boths cameras

1 shotgun mic on the run and gun+ the std mic

1 sennheiser ew112-p (UHF, A) G2 camera wireless mic set w/ body pack and camera mounted receiver.

1 sennheiser ew112 (UHF, A) G2 wireless mic presentation set w/ wireless body pack, and rack mountable recevier.

1 iRiver, with either a Sony stero lapel mic or Giant Squid custom mic. This is th iRiver T30, which works with the built in mic, and has a line-in, but not an external mic-in option. The powered Giant Squid mic produces a very low volume w/ the iRiver. Should I consider using the IRiver to record off the rack mount sennheiser reciever?

1 sony md discman.

I was thinking of putting the mobile uhf mic on the groom, the iRiver on the pastor, running the cameras in 12bit 4ch stereo. I will probably be able to tap off of the churchs pa system (sony MD recorder?) for the music (4 different singers, same mic stand).

Any suggestions on how to better place an/or use the equipment would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Bruce Marusich
4th Day Films

Last edited by Bruce Marusich; March 28th, 2006 at 01:37 PM.
Bruce Marusich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:42 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Marusich
I am doing a wedding this coming Sat, with the rehersal and rehersal dinner on Thurs.
Here are the basics. I am wondering how best to deploy the sound recording devices to get the best sound during the wedding and reception. For the rehersal,we be shooting portions of it with one camera on a tripod, one on the run:

its a 2 person, 2 camera shoot. I am using 2 xl1s's, one possibly on a tripod behind the alter, the other as a run and gun. Here is the sound equipment.

std mics on boths cameras

1 shotgun mic on the run and gun+ the std mic

1 sennheiser ew112-p (UHF, A) G2 camera wireless mic set w/ body pack and camera mounted receiver.

1 sennheiser ew112 (UHF, A) G2 wireless mic presentation set w/ wireless body pack, and rack mountable recevier.

1 iRiver, with either a Sony stero lapel mic or Giant Squid custom mic. This is th iRiver T30, which works with the built in mic, and has a line-in, but not an external mic-in option. The powered Giant Squid mic produces a very low volume w/ the iRiver. Should I consider using the IRiver to record off the rack mount sennheiser reciever?

1 sony md discman.

I was thinking of putting the mobile uhf mic on the groom, the iRiver on the pastor, running the cameras in 12bit 4ch stereo. I will probably be able to tap off of the churchs pa system (sony MD recorder?) for the music (4 different singers, same mic stand).

Any suggestions on how to better place an/or use the equipment would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Bruce Marusich
4th Day Films
I have few, if any, suggestions.... partially because I have only filmed a few weddings, and partially because I use different gear. I Do use the Sony MD system (love it). My only caution is to make sure to check the levels going in to the MD because for my last wedding the DJ (who ran all the sound) had the output volume way too high and everything I got on the MD was clipped and full of distortion. Mostly a wash. The Toast at the reception was saved because he used a different mic and that must have had different levels. I told my clients about that problem and let them know I would be forced to use the over the air from the cameras.... They were OK with that.

How do you test the input levels on the sennheiser's?

In any case, it looks like you have everything covered, complete with good backup solutions. HAve a good shoot!

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Bruce,
In many respects, your setup is pretty similar to mine in regards to sound. I often switch the iRiver to the groom however since the pastor does most of the talking, and the quality of the wireless lav is better than the iRiver and it feeds into one of the cam channels I don't have to sync it to the video later - since the groom speaks very little in most cases, I find the iRiver to be a more than adequate backup for the vows - they really sound great. (although I don't have the model you listed - I use a 790 with the GS mic set to level 45 input). Often however, the pastor is already wearing a body pack for the house system and it might be uncomfortable for them to have to wear a second one - and concerns for signal crossing interference - though rare would have to be avoided - so in this case I do as you suggest, and run the iRiver on the pastor with the groom using the wireless body pack.

I also use a Sony MD recorder, and since I find it too bulky to place on anyone's body with a lav, I generally use it to pic up on-site ceremony music - and I place it discreetly and appropriately for that purpose. I haven't yet had the luxury of tapping into existing PA sets, but that would be nice - just be sure that it is the correct output level for your MD recorder and run a test with the music levels first to be sure you don't distort or blow out the incoming signal to the recorder.

As an added note, I also have a second iRiver that I have successfully used to pick up spoken word audio from the 'readers' in a church ceremony - so as not to be forced to use the house sound system when folks are reading or speaking from the podium/ambo. Many churches don't allow paraphanalia to be placed in that space, but due to the advice of another person in these forums, I found that an iRiver discreetly placed in a suitable eyeglass case can often be positioned appropriately in this area and folks leave it alone as they assume it may belong to one of the people scheduled to read and they don't want someone of importance to go without their glasses - something subdued in coloring is good, of a look and design that is 'old people-ish' (for lack of a better term) might be most appropriate as opposed to the most stylish and hip type - the older styles have more room - just be sure to retreive it right after the ceremony so the pastor doesn't huck it into the lost and found bin.
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I continue to read about the "Giant Squid" mics, but I was wondering if something like the Azden EX-503 mic could be used in place of the GS's. What makes the GS so special that everyone continues to talk about it, other than the option to have it sold with the white mic/cabling?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

http://www.shop.com/op/~Azden_EX_503...-2764546?buy=9
Tom Bolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Trustee

I may not have these details completely accurate, but if I recall, the 700 and 800 series iRiver audio in port is designed a little differently than other types of devices, making it complicated to properly record a mono signal using most lav mics in context of how the device detects the lav plug - The GS mic (other than being a quality mic with sturdy design) issized and wired specifically to accomodate this design so that the iRiver properly detects it as a mono source and hence properly records the lav mono signal across the left and right fields.

Not all the GS mics do this....they design a GS mic specifically for the iRivers.

Other users can probably shed a little more detailed info on the subject as my technical knowledge on the subject is a little vague. I bought a couple GS mics, they sound great, work perfectly, and I am more than satisfied with them.

Hope this helps.
-Jon
Old March 30th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Jon, thanks for the input. I remembered that I had a Nady wireless system, and I took the lavalier mic off from that system and tried it with my iRiver Zen Nano Plus, and all it recorded was a high pitched noise. You are probably correct when speaking about the specific wiring for the iRiver units. :o)
Tom Bolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #7
New Boot

Sondy MD Inputs?

I am just wondering what kind of a lav mic you are using with your sony MDs? As far as I know they only have Stereo Jack and USB inputs so I am not sure if you are using a lav with a stereo jack or not
Todd Westacott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 07:49 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Got my Giant Squid Mic

I got my Mic on Wed. It was one of the fastest best transactions I've had. The mic is quality. Got an iRiver795 and have been playing around with the two. It is an incrediable setup. Looking forward to doing next weekends wedding.
Richard Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 12:05 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Westacott
I am just wondering what kind of a lav mic you are using with your sony MDs? As far as I know they only have Stereo Jack and USB inputs so I am not sure if you are using a lav with a stereo jack or not
Yeah, it is a stereo input, and I have a run of the mill mono lav that I use with it - I have to manually set the recording mode to mono every time I press the record button.
-Jon
Old March 31st, 2006, 12:14 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Mics for Sony MDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Westacott
I have the Sharp MD and iRivers. I just bought a GS mic for the MD recorder and they sound great.
Jaime Espiritu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques