DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   newbie with a demo for showing! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/63872-newbie-demo-showing.html)

Richard Wakefield March 28th, 2006 04:17 PM

newbie with a demo for showing!

Hi all,

i'm completely new to filming, esp. that of weddings(!), and i've just invested in a Sony HDR-FX1E after reading recommendations on this very forum, so i'm eternally grateful for that :)
After editing my first wedding and love story recently, i've finally decided to brave the forum and show you my first condensed demo clip from my site to see what you think:

www.fxfilms.co.uk/examples.htm

i'm going for 'contemporary' fx in my edits (which i'm learning along the way through trial and error!), and only using things like slow-mo when i really have to... hopefully i'm not barking up the wrong tree by doing that!

Ben Furfie March 28th, 2006 05:03 PM

Thats pretty good. The only thing I can say bad about that would be the little bit of noticable shake, something that could possibly be corrected with a tripod; but that said, the construction of the FX1E doesn't exactly lend itself to steady shooting while handheld.

One thing I do thing was brilliant (i'd go for it in my wedding video anyway) was the snapshot effect; very well done, and not too cheesey.

Leo Pepingco March 28th, 2006 07:41 PM

G'day Richard,

Just so you know, I like the vid, its nicely done. And yes, the Snapshots dont look that cheesy.

But you also have to know that, the two motion backgrounds you have acquiered from Digital Video Techniques magazine cannot be used for commercial purposes, only for personal projects... You know, the film motion and the clouds... Look it up on the CD, the licence agreement is there. DVT also clarrifies it in thier 4th edition with a letter to the editor response.

Just telling you so you have a heads up.... Dont want you to get into trouble.

By the way, how did you secure the sync rights to a robbie williams song? That must have been a feat! Congrats on the work... good luck from here on in.

Mike F Smith March 28th, 2006 10:29 PM

Don't know about the internet connection speed of most UKers but it's a little too small for me to give you much of a critique on.

Mike

Richard Wakefield March 29th, 2006 12:49 AM

in response to Leo.... damn these magazines that give the impression you can use the clips. I'm not 'selling' my demo clip so u'd think it'd be ok...but i don't want to kick off an argument about the fact i'm 'selling' the video service etc so i best go and change it tonight then, cheers for the info on that.

and the songs are very very temporarily there :), i just wanted to upload a demo to show the bride and groom in question. I've purchased a royalty free song CD through ebay of all places, so that'll be used tonight too!