A Same Day Edit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 28th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #1
Major Player

A Same Day Edit

Havent posted here before..mostly frequent the VU boards..but recognize some folks here. Thought the best to introduce myself..is to show some work. :)

Here is an SDE from last Saturday :

http://homepage.mac.com/epiphany2002/kb.wmv
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Great Video. Hard to believe it was just a SDE! nice work..I'm curious to see what a finished product would look like.

Couple of quick questions..

• What kind of camera did you use and what frame rate was it recorded at?
• I noticed a lot of wide shots, were those done with a standard ultra-wide(fisheye) lens?
• What kind of equipment did you use to shoot it (i.e. stabilizers, cranes, etc.)

That was definately a quality video. Congrats on a job well done!
Lowell Oswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Very very nice! That would be great as a "take-your-time-at-the-studio" edit, let alone a same-day edit.

In addition to Daniel's questions, I have one more... how many cameras did you have at the ceremony?

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell Oswald
Great Video. Hard to believe it was just a SDE! nice work..I'm curious to see what a finished product would look like.

Couple of quick questions..

• What kind of camera did you use and what frame rate was it recorded at?
• I noticed a lot of wide shots, were those done with a standard ultra-wide(fisheye) lens?
• What kind of equipment did you use to shoot it (i.e. stabilizers, cranes, etc.)

That was definately a quality video. Congrats on a job well done!
- I used a Z1 and an FX1 recorded in CF 30.
- Yes..C.O. Fish-eye

- No stabilzers..just handheld and monopod. :)

Thanks for the kind words..I have been doing SDEs now for about 3 years and have used them to promote my biz more than anything else. I really want more videogs to try them so we can start charging photog money. :)
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Shallenberger
Very very nice! That would be great as a "take-your-time-at-the-studio" edit, let alone a same-day edit.

In addition to Daniel's questions, I have one more... how many cameras did you have at the ceremony?

Dan
Thansk Dan!

3 cameras..in addition to the Z & The FX..we also had an A1 but none of the footage from the A1 was used.
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #6
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Dan and thanks for sharing!
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Well, very nice. Your comment regarding getting more videogs to do SDE's is interesting, I never thought of it as a good way challange the photog price holy grail....

But since you bring it up.....

We are going to try our very first SDE in late April. I would really, really love to get your suggestions, gotchas and ideas on the process.

We will only be SDEing the ceremony itself. We use 4 SD cams and will be editing on a laptop and outputing to DVD if time allows. We really have no game plan since this is a first for us. With three years of doing these I would love your insight. I might even buy you a beer....

Thanks!
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
Welcome to DVinfo Dan and thanks for sharing!
Thanks dude! You are the man here..right?...a Mod?

You DO notice my join date right? LOL...its been awhile since my last post!
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cook
Well, very nice. Your comment regarding getting more videogs to do SDE's is interesting, I never thought of it as a good way challange the photog price holy grail....

But since you bring it up.....

We are going to try our very first SDE in late April. I would really, really love to get your suggestions, gotchas and ideas on the process.

We will only be SDEing the ceremony itself. We use 4 SD cams and will be editing on a laptop and outputing to DVD if time allows. We really have no game plan since this is a first for us. With three years of doing these I would love your insight. I might even buy you a beer....

Thanks!
Thanks Mike..are you the Michael Cook from VU?

I actually don't live in Downey anymore so I guess its alright
to help a competitor. :)

4 cams is great for coverage..but only use 2 of those for the SDE...you DON"T want to be going through that much footage. Use one of those cams for your primary shots (ie non-creative) and then use one to get all of the creative shots along with the regular stuff..thats what I did on this last one. I roamed around with my fish and looked for a variety of creative shots.

Email me and I will give you my phone number..too much to go over here!
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #10
Trustee

Question on the music you used...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boswell
Havent posted here before..mostly frequent the VU boards..but recognize some folks here. Thought the best to introduce myself..is to show some work. :)

Here is an SDE from last Saturday :

http://homepage.mac.com/epiphany2002/kb.wmv
Where do you get your music? Is it a royalty free source? Custom composition? Or from your personal CDs?

I have been hung up on where to find quality music to use on my weddings and so far the royalty free sources appear to be the most affordable, but do not contain the best music. I don't even want to try licensing from any major publisher because I am sure they want to ream me on duplication licensing, sync license, royalty per unit, etc.

Jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson
Where do you get your music? Is it a royalty free source? Custom composition? Or from your personal CDs?

I have been hung up on where to find quality music to use on my weddings and so far the royalty free sources appear to be the most affordable, but do not contain the best music. I don't even want to try licensing from any major publisher because I am sure they want to ream me on duplication licensing, sync license, royalty per unit, etc.

Jason

iTunes and Limewire.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques