Timecode Sync at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 30th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Timecode Sync

I own a Sony Z1U and recently purchased the new Canon XL2. For a mulit-camera shoot, what is the best way to get these 2 running in sync using free run. I know its easier if you have the same cameras and then just use the remote to start them both at the same time. Is there such a thing as a universal remote to run both of these cameras? Thanks, John
John Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Trustee

I dont have a good work around for your question, but I do have a question for you. If you were already shooting with a Z1 (I'm assuming in HD) then why did you opt for the XL2 that shoots SD? How are the two matching up in post?
Just a thought, I guess you could try setting the timecode yourself and then just pushing the record buttons at the same time. It might not be perfect, but as long as you dont stop the cameras you should be able to roughly match time codes in post and nudge the clips a frame or two if they are off a bit.
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Major Player

I primarily use the HD for instructional video or sports evaluation shots. I use SD with the Z1U for wedding events to match up with the XL2. No problems in post.....yet.
John Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I saw a tip of kennelmaster Chris Hurd's referenced in a Feb. 2006 DV magazine article "High Stakes and High Def" about syncing up some Z1Us for a multi camera shoot for a reality show: set the timecode generator in each camera to run free. Push the reset button on both at midnight, and they'll be in sync within a frame or two.

Seems like this would work in your case too, John. Chris?
Sam Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks. I appreciate your input. I am going to try that. I need to sync the Canon XL2 and the Z1U for a wedding in May. Shooting the Z1U in SD. I'll do some testing first. May have to rely on using a strobe during the shoot to sync up in post.
John Moon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques