DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Question of what to wear for female videographer?! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/64182-question-what-wear-female-videographer.html)

Richard Wakefield April 2nd, 2006 08:41 AM

Question of what to wear for female videographer?!

Hi all,

I have a wedding booked in a beautiful English Castle later in the year, and it is just crying out to be a 2 camera shoot. My girlfriend has kindly volunteered to help out.

The wedding is a black-tie event and she is not quite sure what to wear, bearing in mind it needs to be comfortable, smart and practical for the several hours of shooting: jacket/skirt/suit/dress??

any suggestions from experienced female videographers?

thanks

Peter Jefferson April 2nd, 2006 09:08 AM

ive been training my wife up and on the jobs shes accompanied me she wears black pants, comfy black shoes, a decent shirt and whatever style she wants to wear her hair in.

Irrespective of the formalities of teh day, youre still there to do a job. Practicality comes first, everything else comes secondary to that. So long as she looks good (ie presentable and not scruffy) you shouldnt have a problem.

Id recomend avoiding crop tops, teeny skirts, stilettos, heavy makeup and chewing gum <in public>

Jennifer Graves April 2nd, 2006 09:33 AM

I always wear a black pant suit and COMFORTABLE shoes. Since I'm there as a professional (not a guest) I've found that this works best for weddings. Unless it's a summer wedding outside, then I lose the jacket. I prefer not to wear skirts just because when you're running around, trying to get different angles (standing on something, kneeling, sitting, whatever it may be) you'll be limited because some things you just can't do in a skirt and one thing you don't want on your mind is wheither or not your clothes are covering you.

Corine Tran April 2nd, 2006 10:06 AM

I also always wear a black pant suit with comfortable shoes.

Richard Wakefield April 2nd, 2006 03:13 PM

thanks everyone, really appreciated... I'll let you know what my girlfriend thinks of your suggestions.

although if she wore black 'pants' in England, she'd be the show-stopper and i'd never get work again! (sorry, couldn't resist saying :)

Josie Cheryl April 3rd, 2006 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield
The wedding is a black-tie event and she is not quite sure what to wear, bearing in mind it needs to be comfortable, smart and practical for the several hours of shooting: jacket/skirt/suit/dress??

any suggestions from experienced female videographers?

I'm far from experienced... ;)

For a black-tie event, I think black pants and a dark colored blouse would be most appropriate. Comfortable shoes are definitely a must, especially if she's new and just starting out. My first wedding I ever shot, the day ended with really sore feet!

But for regular weddings, I like to dress in black pants and a dark color snug, sleeveless cotton shirt. I like dark burgundies, so I'm not walking around in all black. If it's cold outside, I'll put on a cardigan or sweater (dark colors again).

My hair pinned back or sometimes in a ponytail. In the summertime, it goes well with a cap to keep the sun away from my eyes. I also wear minimal make-up.

Waldemar Winkler April 3rd, 2006 09:42 PM

This may appear to be an odd observation, but what do female security officers or food & beverage management service staff wear?

Perhaps follow their stye, with a little more style?