DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   What is your Advertising/Promotional budget? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/64243-what-your-advertising-promotional-budget.html)

Ryan DesRoches April 3rd, 2006 08:46 AM

What is your Advertising/Promotional budget?

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to the wedding biz (about 5 months in) - so I'm curious to know how much you guys usually spend per year on advertising and promotion? What in your experiences are the advertising that has most paid off?

I have run some newspaper ads - but have got virtually no calls from them. Most of my business has come from "word of mouth" from past clients and friends, as well as other vendors that I have worked with at other weddings - which is the best form of advertising. But since I am just starting out - I really need to get my name out more.

I do have a media kit, complete with sample DVDs, and information on my background that I give to clients - and that seems to "wow" them and make it look that I at least "look" professional. But I feel like being someone new to the biz, I need to do more than just have very cheep prices and some flashy media kits. I really can't give the flashy kits to people who don't call me first.

I do have a limited budget - so I'm looking for the best "bang" for the buck as well.

Thanks
Ryan

Dan Shallenberger April 3rd, 2006 09:18 AM

I really can't help much, but I've read that sometimes Press Releases can help, and their always free. The big papers always have a section for them, and most smaller local papers do as well. You can even send a media kit with your Press Release, and who knows, maybe those handling your PR are getting married or know someone who is.

When I did my first photography art show a couple of years ago, I submitted press releases to all the local papers near me and the show location. A reported for one of them called me and asked if he could ask a few questions and run a story! I agreed and he ran a very nice, full-color, approx 1/4 page story on my art and show. It was very unexpected, and turned out great. Then, about 1 week before the show, another local paper at the show location did the same thing, only that one was b/w and smaller, but did generate a lot of visitors that said they saw the feature.

Anyhow, not related to weddings, but demonstrates that sometimes smaller papers can take and feature stories that bigger papers wouldn't bother with, and that can mean some great exposure.

Dan

Eric Hansen April 3rd, 2006 11:23 AM

The only way that we have advertised so far are from Bridal Shows. So far for us they are worth every penny. It gives you the opportunity to be in front of your target market and its a great way to introduce your company (yourself). Last year we spent about $1,500 on shows while this year we've doubled that and our business has increased as well. That's what works for us, word of mouth will come.

Eric Hansen
www.ehansenproductions.com

Joe Allen Rosenberger April 3rd, 2006 01:15 PM

[Ryan. I have never heard of newspapaer ads woking anywhere. I have heard good and bad things from bridal shows but atleast your target shopper will attend the shows. with our company our clients(brides) have done almost all of our advertising for us. this is a reason why we take the customer service thing so serious, clients will remeber this stuff along with how happy they were with their dvd's.

word of mouth has been king but we also are networked with handful of other high end wedding vendors......we refer clients to them, and they do the same for us......tit for tat.

if i were to spend money for ads.....it would most likely go to "up" our web presence or the bridal shows...maybe both.

QUOTE=Ryan DesRoches]Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to the wedding biz (about 5 months in) - so I'm curious to know how much you guys usually spend per year on advertising and promotion? What in your experiences are the advertising that has most paid off?

I have run some newspaper ads - but have got virtually no calls from them. Most of my business has come from "word of mouth" from past clients and friends, as well as other vendors that I have worked with at other weddings - which is the best form of advertising. But since I am just starting out - I really need to get my name out more.

I do have a media kit, complete with sample DVDs, and information on my background that I give to clients - and that seems to "wow" them and make it look that I at least "look" professional. But I feel like being someone new to the biz, I need to do more than just have very cheep prices and some flashy media kits. I really can't give the flashy kits to people who don't call me first.

I do have a limited budget - so I'm looking for the best "bang" for the buck as well.

Thanks
Ryan[/QUOTE]