DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding Shoot Equipment? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/64618-wedding-shoot-equipment.html)

Sean Seah April 8th, 2006 04:53 AM

Wedding Shoot Equipment?

Hope to get some opinion on necessay equipment for a wedding shoot. I'm on a budget here. I made up my mind that I will get the videocam and an extra 3 hr batt. After that, I can only afford to get either one of the following:

Option:
1 Tripod (is this impt? How often do u guys use it?)
2. Monopod/monopod cum stabiliser (This seems more useful to me)
3. External Mic

I'm shooting in Asia so our wedding comes in 2 parts. One traditional ceremony where the groom has to go get the bride. Usually the groom gets to do some silly stuff before he gets to the bride. This portion also involves some travelling between the bride and groom's pre wedding apartments. Normally held in the daytime.

The second part is a wedding dinner. No dancing like u guys have in the West. Only a bunch of boring folks sitting on 20 round tables eating away while the couple comes marching in twice.

Please share with me for the optional items, which u guys think would be the best bet. Thanks!

Edward Slonaker April 8th, 2006 05:23 AM

You really do need a tripod, Sean. Even with an optical stabilizer on the camera, the shakes are noticable, especially when played back on a TV. But, equally as important, you need a good external microphone, too. So, if your budget is that tight, I would suggest a monopod AND an external microphone.

A monopod is not nearly as costly as a tripod and that would save a bit towards an external mic. It may stretch your budget a little, but you'll be grateful when you start editing the footage. Monopods are also a LOT easier to run around with. You can be set and ready in seconds.

What camera are you using?

Sean Seah April 8th, 2006 07:49 AM

Lookin at an FX1. Yeah an external mic and a monopod should be possible but that would be the absolute limit for
the moment. The tripod should come in handy during the dinner..

Edward Slonaker April 8th, 2006 08:21 AM

Oh, you're going to like the FX1. I love mine. Incredible camera for the price. Even shooting in DV mode is most impressive. I wish it had XLR inputs, but the Beachtek DXA-6 does a fine job. Have fun!

Mike Cook April 8th, 2006 09:46 AM

Think seriously about HDV cameras and low light.

Chris Davis April 8th, 2006 10:58 AM

It sounds like you have a budget around $3200 USD. Instead of buying an FX1 and *one* accessory, I'd get a less expensive SD camera which would leave more money for other necessities.

I'd get something like a GL2 (~$1750) which would leave you with nearly $1,500 for the proper accessories.

Rick Steele April 8th, 2006 11:59 AM

I can't even imagine a tripod as an "option". Should be standard equipment next to the cam itself.

Peter Jefferson April 8th, 2006 09:18 PM

Essentials for weddings

- Patience... first and foremost your clients have NO IDEA how much work and equipemnt is required.. so be sure to reiterate WHAT U DO and be sure to charge appropriately..

that said...
essential kit..

- Minimum 1 camera... preferably a second as a backup (which can be used as a BRoll)

- Wireless Microphone. With this, the MAIN elements of the ceremony are captured intimately, so IMO its value is maybe one step higher than a shotgun. Sennys G2 has connections for 3.5mm which the fx1 has

- Camera light. (with globes ranging from 35w to 100w) WIth HDV light is essential else youll just end up with poo coloured crap. Doesnt matter how good u are with acamera, if the footage is lacking punch theres no point in going forward

- Tripod . Essential for speeches and in your early days of shooting ceremonies. Once u get proficient with your camera, u can shoot the ceremony handheld. The only time i use a tripod is with teh second unmanned camera during ceremonies (for readings), and during the speeches. The rest is handheld shooting from the aisle. I also use a tripod for speeches coz they drag on and i dont get paid enough to be in pain.... lol
That said, i have shot one operator 3 cam weddinggs with 2 Tripods and one handheld.. Point here is that you MUST be prepared for any given environment. There should be no thinking or umming and arring involved.. look at where u are and KNOW what needs to be done. This will come with time..

- If u cant afford a tripod, go a monopod. Be aware that these re obviously nowhere near as stable as a tripod.. until u get used to it ...

- The fact that youre doing sit down dinners tell s me that a shotgun mic will be essential for getting the greetings from guests. in this case a Senny MKE300 or a Rode video mic (if u cant get a Senny) would be your best option. U wont need a Balun for either of these mics

good luck with it

Sean Seah April 10th, 2006 07:06 AM

Thank you so much folks.. your inputs are very useful. Unfortunately I really have to work hard within my budget at the moment. I will get the cam with the senn mic and a tripod for a start. Hope to get my tripod n video light after that real soon!

Steven Davis April 10th, 2006 08:48 AM

don't forget

Post wedding standard equipment:

1: automatic foot masasure.

2: margurita

Edward Slonaker April 10th, 2006 09:53 AM

I think #2 should be preceeded with the words, "pitcher of," there Steve.....and a straw

Pat Sherman April 12th, 2006 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Post wedding standard equipment:

1: automatic foot masasure.

That ain't no lie.. Those little rascal commercials look better and better after 12 hours.. Hrm.. Possibly doubling as a Dolly? LOL!