DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   I wanna see some GOOD stuff... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/64796-i-wanna-see-some-good-stuff.html)

Brian Farris April 10th, 2006 06:46 PM

I wanna see some GOOD stuff...

I dunno if there's another thread like this, but I know that there are several threads out there from wedding videographer newbies that post a highlight reel for critique, which I find comparable to stuff I've put together.

I'm courious as to what the high end videographers who have been doing weddings for YEARS are putting out and what I and the other newbies can aim for.

Thanks.

Mike Oveson April 10th, 2006 08:29 PM

Brian,

I appreciate the spirit of your post, especially since I am a newcomer to the game as well, but I don't know that a lot of the high-end videographers are going to drop what they are doing and throw their best clips up. Would it be nice? Sure. While I've found that many people here are willing to critique your work, not very many will just randomly post clips for everyone who asks. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I just thought I'd mention this so that you don't get frustrated when the best videographers in the industry don't show up and display their clips for you. You may want to search them out and take a look at the samples on their websites. It's worked for many others in the past.

Don Bloom April 10th, 2006 09:54 PM

Search for posts by The VonLankens, Chris Watson, Glen Elliott, David Mathew Bonner and Walter S Cheila (both with very different type of wedding videos from the other) All deal with more of the higher end and have varying styles-for the really high end -well most of them don't post clips but Laura Randall of Edit 1 in Washington, Jenny Lehman in D.C., Ken Erhardt in New Mexico and Robert Allan in New Jersey as well as Art Polin in Florida, Mark Shepard in CA are just a few of the folks that are considered to be in the upper echelon of wedding videographers in the US of A. Again I don't think any of them really post clips but you might be able to search and find their sites and see a sample or 2.

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it! Aim high...higher....higher...

Don

Peter Jefferson April 10th, 2006 10:10 PM

IMO the only things u can really aim for for YOUR OWN success is to work out afew things first..

The first is approach.. ie how u intend to approach any given job any potential client and the edit itself..

the second is execution - ie how ur gonna pull this off

the third is originality - ie what are u gonna do thats different to everyone else?

the fourth is style - what can u do to bring your own style into the piece? What is your style, do u have one, do u need one? do u want one? What type of wedding clients are u going for? does that style fit with that market?

from there all u can do is practice and work out what works best for u

sure u can get ideas by lookin at other ppls work, but lets face it, these ideas have been done to death and sure enough they look good, thers just nothing "different" about them.. my own included.. the only way to really be different is to have a variety of different clients who want different things, ive had ravers thrugh to stuck up daddys lil girl princesses through to celebrities, and each style is different and for most weddings theirs usually an element which is different to other weddings and i latch onto it and milk it for what its worth...

Joel Peregrine April 11th, 2006 11:59 PM

Hi Brian,

This was a Chicago wedding from last summer. Great couple and a cool reception location - on top of the Sears Tower. Got a parking ticket during the park stop photo shoot. :(

www.WeddingFilms.com/h264_test

Its big file so I'll see how my bandwidth holds up...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Farris
I dunno if there's another thread like this, but I know that there are several threads out there from wedding videographer newbies that post a highlight reel for critique, which I find comparable to stuff I've put together.

I'm courious as to what the high end videographers who have been doing weddings for YEARS are putting out and what I and the other newbies can aim for.

Thanks.

Robert Musiello April 12th, 2006 04:52 AM

Looks sweet..

I like it.. looks good...
which camera(s) do you use?

Tom Bolia April 12th, 2006 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine
Hi Brian,

This was a Chicago wedding from last summer. Great couple and a cool reception location - on top of the Sears Tower. Got a parking ticket during the park stop photo shoot. :(

www.WeddingFilms.com/h264_test

Its big file so I'll see how my bandwidth holds up...

Great shoot. What kind of stabilizer were you using to get those high shots looking down?

I am guessing you are using HD, too? The clarity is amazing. :o)

Joel Peregrine April 12th, 2006 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bolia
Great shoot. What kind of stabilizer were you using to get those high shots looking down?

I am guessing you are using HD, too? The clarity is amazing. :o)

Hi Tom,

I'm using a monopod, a Glidecam 2000 Pro and handheld. The high shots are just the monopod. They are all VX2000. The clarity is probably the codec. I'm experimenting with smaller H264 bit rates right now. I think this is at about 800mbps. I probably won't end up using it for a while though - it chokes slower systems and people have to upgrade to QT 7 to watch it, which could deter potential customers from watching it at all.

Joel Peregrine April 12th, 2006 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Musiello
I like it.. looks good...
which camera(s) do you use?

Thanks Robert!

4 x VX2000.

Tom Bolia April 12th, 2006 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine
Thanks Robert!

4 x VX2000.

Four cameras? Is this your standard package, or your deluxe one? How many were using the Glidecams?

Joel Peregrine April 12th, 2006 02:00 PM

Hi Tom,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bolia
Four cameras? Is this your standard package, or your deluxe one? How many were using the Glidecams?

I shoot alone, so only one Glidecam, monopod etc. I include all four of the cameras for all ceremony coverages. I also have a TRV-900 that I use for family taping that I take along too if I see the need. Its my 'huppah-cam' for Jewish weddings - goes on a home-made clamp with a miniature ball tripod head attached. (But I'm seeing a trend toward really flimsy huppahs, ones that could never support a camera.) I use one stationary and one mobile camera at receptions.

Yoochul Chong April 12th, 2006 05:02 PM

score

What soundtrack is the score from? I like it.

Chuck Spaulding April 13th, 2006 01:08 PM

Very nice work, well edited. I too liked the music.

The h264 looks like it preserved your look very well. Too bad about the parking ticket...

Yoochul Chong April 13th, 2006 03:07 PM

Can you deduct a parking ticket as a business expense? haha

Peter Chung April 13th, 2006 03:39 PM

Thanks for posting

Hi Joel,

Thanks for posting. Classic! You are one of the primary reasons that inspired me to start wedding videography.

Peter