DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wedding Guests Ttop 20 Gripes... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/65116-wedding-guests-ttop-20-gripes.html)

Dan Shallenberger April 14th, 2006 09:03 PM

Wedding Guests Ttop 20 Gripes...

http://lifestyle.msn.com/Relationshi...umentid=235262

I thought #6 was interesting, but I can relate to many others.

Dan

Joe Allen Rosenberger April 14th, 2006 09:54 PM

I agree with #6-100%......and I never do the table interview thing or any interviews for that matter.....unless the client request it which 99% of the time they request we NOT do them as they think it adds a "cheese" factor....I agree!

I am surpised that there wasn't a gripe about the ol' spotlight on the cams not to mention lights on stands... HA HA HA! I'm sure it's on the list somewhere.

John Harmon April 15th, 2006 01:19 AM

I see #5 all the time. Bride & friends shakin' it like a bunch of ho's. Whatever.

My approach for the interviews goes like this:

"Anyone want to record a message for the bride & groom? No? Naw, it's not mandatory. You want to do one? OK, step right over here...now I'm going to have to turn on this light...ready?" I prefer when they don't know what to say.

A.J. Briones April 15th, 2006 03:55 PM

what's wrong with #5? it's the bride's day, why can't she dance to songs that she likes? why do they have to be "like a bunch of ho's" when they're just dancing? it's a party, isn't it?

Joe Allen Rosenberger April 15th, 2006 04:12 PM

thats what im sayin AJ, let them tear it up if they wish!

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.J. Briones
what's wrong with #5? it's the bride's day, why can't she dance to songs that she likes? why do they have to be "like a bunch of ho's" when they're just dancing? it's a party, isn't it?

Dan Shallenberger April 16th, 2006 09:30 AM

Joe, I agree. I think the table interviews are cheesy as well, but the brides around here request them a lot... even after seeing a demo. The interviews I don't mind doing or watching, but they always say the same things. I try to get them to get more creative and not the same old things, but sometimes the same old thing is really from the heart and turns out well. Like John said, though, approach people right or let them come to you and most will be willing to do an interview.

I also agree about the camera light! When I read the headline before reading the gripes, I was sure there would be a videographer light complaint in there. I hate using the light, but it sure helps the footage.

I agree that it's the brides party, so shake it up a bit. But, sometimes it gets a bit R-rated in front of grandma and grandpa. On the other hand, I've seen the grandparents shake some groove right along side the bride!

Terry Esslinger April 16th, 2006 01:26 PM

Interviews can be surprising and hard to know what to do with. I was hired by the maid of honor to do a wedding video, not the bride. She was giving it to the bride and groom as a wedding present. However during some interviews the maid of honor got together with some of her friends and taped an interview during which they stated that they really (REALLY!) loved the bride and groom. In fact they had 'tried out' the groom to make sure that he was ok for her. Yea, that was meant the way it sounds! Well, what the heck do you do with that. If the bride had hired me I would have just cut it - no problem. During editing I called the client and said that her interview was of dubious quality (not to mention taste, which I did not say) and I thought maybe I would not be using it. She was upset! Even though she had been a little (?) sloshed she did not think they said anything wrong. So I made a trial copy and showed it to her. She thought it was fine, the final tapes were made (this was a while ago) and given to her. I even got a call several months later for a DVD copy. I am not sure that I would handle it that way again but I don'tdo many weddings and it probably won't come up. Obviously interviews are not my favorite thing.