Camera Lighting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 22nd, 2006, 11:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Lighting

Hey guys, I just done my first paid event (Surprise Bday) and it was all great until the lights went dim. Oh mygosh only then when I realize that my light didn't last as long as I expected. Using a 100w dimmable NRG light with its battery pack. My question is...is it better to get a 100w light that's dimmable or should i just get a straight 50w or so for the low light areas (during first dance or cake cutting, etc). What kind of lights do you guys recommend that can do maybe 2-3hrs or directly into power adapter? Please help, I have another wedding coming up at the first week of may. Thank you all in advance.
Canon XL2/Glidecam 4000/SteadyStick
Sony PVM-1350 Monitor
Mike Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 07:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The only reason I see to use a 100W light at an event is if 1) you want to blind some people 2) you wish to call far more attention to yourself than you will with any other light or 3) you are shooting in a bat cave.

100W is nice to have available but far to much for 99% of events-even when I use an on-camera light to shoot news stuff its generally no more than a 50W with a daylight filter or a peice of tough spun to soften it up. At weddings or banquets (parties of one sort or another) I use either a 20W OR a 50W that is knocked down to 20W-of course if you're using an old camera that doesn't have good low light capabilities you need more but I'm guessing you have a camera that can handle low light pretty well so in answer to your question-I would go for a 35 or 50W dimmable and keep it down to about 20W OR just get a 20W light (Sony 10/20W) and get an couple of extra batteries (960 or 970s) that'll keep you going all night.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:15 AM   #3
Still Motion

I've mentioned this in other threads without getting much support from others, but I'll say it one more time. We use studio light(s) at the reception, usually one 300W with softbox or translucent umbrella and it works great for speeches, dances, cake cutting etc. The advantage to it, is that couples seem to not notice it as much as it is very immobile and can stay on between speeches, as an example. As it also doesn't follow the camera, it is not a constant reminder to people that they are being recorded. The results I have gotten from it are really quite good, and I also follow up with couple after the wedding on any issues that may have arisen, and the use of the studio light has never been a problem, they usually did not even notice it consciously, and they are glad it was used. Ity solves your battery problem and in the end, would works great for other things such as love story interviews or guest comments and there are many that are quite affordable (read: sub-$300).
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Do a search of lights at weddings and you will get more opinions than you want. It is a rather contentious subject and really does not need to be hammered out again.

PS: I hate lights at weddings. (sorry Patrick)
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, I know this subject has been well discussed. But appreciate your responses.
Canon XL2/Glidecam 4000/SteadyStick
Sony PVM-1350 Monitor
Mike Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
I've mentioned this in other threads without getting much support from others, but I'll say it one more time. We use studio light(s) at the reception, usually one 300W with softbox or translucent umbrella and it works great for speeches, dances, cake cutting etc. The advantage to it, is that couples seem to not notice it as much as it is very immobile and can stay on between speeches, as an example. As it also doesn't follow the camera, it is not a constant reminder to people that they are being recorded. The results I have gotten from it are really quite good, and I also follow up with couple after the wedding on any issues that may have arisen, and the use of the studio light has never been a problem, they usually did not even notice it consciously, and they are glad it was used. Ity solves your battery problem and in the end, would works great for other things such as love story interviews or guest comments and there are many that are quite affordable (read: sub-$300).
Patrick, where do you place your lights?
How many do you use 1 or 2?
In the corner and bounce off of ceiling?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques