Davis and Sanford Tripod? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 28th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Davis and Sanford Tripod?

I just recently purchased a D & S Provista 7518 tripod with a FM18 fluid head. Question: Is anyone else using this model? The reason I ask is that it appears that the tension on the tilt is very tight, even with the tension adjustment loosened all the way. I have a Sony VX2100, and I find that I have to exert a fair amount of tension before the tilt responds. Does anyone know if this is normal for this head? The pan works very smooth and easy. I'm just wondering if this is rare for this model and a replacement is in order. I know that I should have spent more and went with a Manfrotto etc. but my budget did not warrant it at this time.
Mike Begalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have this tripod. I am not experiencing the problem you describe. I just loosened the tilt knob and with no cam on it, the weight of the pan bars caused it to tilt back.

Don't worry about not getting a Manfrotto. I bought a more expensive Man. and took it back. I am much happier with the D & S.
Craig Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I actually own 3 D&S ProVista tripods with the FM-18 heads. I have no problem with the tilt on any of them. However, each of them is different in reference to panning. One is really smooth. One is okay (tends to jump at the beginning of a pan). The third is fair jumpy all through the pan. So, it seems to me that there is a range of possible quality with these tripods.

I was limited by budget too, considering I had to have 3 tripods, and I had used others in the past that cost much more and still didn't provide a smooth pan. If your tripod is new, and the tilt is pretty tight no matter how much you loosen the knob, you might want to send it back.

Here's an idea, though. Are you just loosening the knob by rotating it? The handle on the knob (hard to explain) can actually be pulled out away from the knob and repositioned to allow you to continue rotating the knob to get it even looser. Same for the pan knob. Hope that makes some sense.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Davis and Sanford Tripod

Thanks for the replies. I did eventually end up sending it back once I discussed the problem with customer support at D & S. However, I reordered another one, hopefully this one will be better. Other than the knobs being a little too cramped, the tripod appears to be sturdy and built quite well. I'll let you all know how it works out.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew

update on D & S tripod

Well I received my replacement and tried it out on a wedding I had this past weekend. I am happy to say that it worked flawlessly. The pan and tilt was very smooth with no jerkyness or end of pan/tilt rebound.
Old May 8th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Good to know. Maybe I'll contact them about my tripods even thought they are out of warranty.
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Tripod

I just purchased a sandford and davis tripod (made by Tiffen). I am very satisfied with the weight, sturdiness, and the fluid head works very well. I was most concerned with how my xl2 would work because of the weight forward balance and whether or not it would remain steady when a pan would stop and not naturally start dropping. It performed better than I had expected!!! I think it was a good investment. If it can handle my xl2 then it should be a dream with my gl2@@

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques