Critique my site, part 2. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 4th, 2006, 02:38 PM   #16
Trustee

Actually, my site already has a flash detection script. You probably didn't notice because you have flash. :)

An HTML version is in the works, but I'd rather finalize the design of this before I start replicating it in HTML. All flash sites I create have HTML alternatives for those with dial-up (like me at home!)

My main business site (famousdavispro.com) has an index page that allows viewers to select html or flash, but I'm leaning away from that, since it requires a user to click to enter the site.

As far as ranking high in the search engines... Have you searched for "wedding video" (or any other permutations of the typical search phrases) lately? All you get is a bunch of wedding portal sites (wedj, partypop, 800dj, etc.) I'm not going to waste much time tweaking my site for the search engines as I'm convinced that's a pointless exercise. I'd rather concentrate on promoting my business locally.

Thanks for suggesting putting the prices link on the main page. It does seem kind of buried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
putting the site url in the title bar is a rookie mistake,
Are you referring to my site? I do not have the url on the title bar (and I'm no rookie!) :)
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I'm the only one?

Number of great comments you're received already. But I just wanted to add that the music is... how do I put this kindly... atrocious. :)

You might be surprised as to how many potential customers would view the site at work and bail out immediately when that loud music comes on. At the very least, users need an obvious link to MUTE.
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis
Are you referring to my site? I do not have the url on the title bar
yes, i am, and yes, you do :-)

<title>The Cinematic Wedding</title>

Quote:
As far as ranking high in the search engines... Have you searched for "wedding video" (or any other permutations of the typical search phrases) lately? All you get is a bunch of wedding portal sites (wedj, partypop, 800dj, etc.) I'm not going to waste much time tweaking my site for the search engines as I'm convinced that's a pointless exercise. I'd rather concentrate on promoting my business locally.
you ARE promoting your business locally with google, msn, yahoo, etc.

google up "wedding video mytown mystate" instead... notice how the title bar for a lot of those sites lists the city? a little bit of effort here will go a long way later down the line.

no bride is going to search google for "The Cinematic Wedding", so it's a complete waste of title bar space.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #19
Trustee

URL = "Universal Resource Locator".

"http://www.thecinematicwedding.com" is a URL. "The Cinematic Wedding" is not.

Search engines do not index sites based only on the title of a web page. Generally, they will index the site based on the content and meta tags as well. The meta tags in my html clearly indicate my business name, common search keywords and location.

Yes, I have googled "wedding video mytown mystate", and the first three pages are all wedding portals and directories. The first "real" videographer doesn't even show up until the middle of page four.

No problem, common rookie mistakes.
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
"http://www.thecinematicwedding.com" is a URL. "The Cinematic Wedding" is not.
ignoring what i post won't fix your mistakes, see the links below.

Quote:
Search engines do not index sites based only on the title of a web page. Generally, they will index the site based on the content and meta tags as well.
you are confusing indexing with ranking... do you understand the difference? it's pretty significant... the worst site in the world will get indexed, but ranking in the search engines is what brings in business.

meta tags do not have much of an effect on ranking.

Quote:
The first "real" videographer doesn't even show up until the middle of page four.

No problem, common rookie mistakes.
you laugh at him now, but your website will never rank above that "real" videographer website... in part because your flash page has no important search text in the body of the page... also:

"To increase search engine rankings, the words on your homepage title bar should include the most important keywords or phrases that you expect someone will search on when looking for a site similar to yours. I wouldn’t necessarily include your company name, unless you feel that people will be searching on your name."
http://www.selfseo.com/story-13542.php

"The title tag is one of the most important factors in achieving high search engine rankings."
http://www.highrankings.com/allabouttitles.htm
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #21
Regular Crew

My site is identical as yours, I got it from the monster folks
Allan Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #22
Trustee

Crap, I hope you're not in my area!

That's one danger in using templates...
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Chris

It has been a few days sense you posted this.

1. I like the prices posted!! I like being treated fair, I find out later a friend got the same job for less I feel ripped and i would tell the world.

2. It is very low contrast, obviously you ment it that way, and that is hard to pull off but I think it works.

3. If you go to the second page i couldn't find a return button to the first page. (I teach my computer students to have full navigation).

4. I also teach them to avoid vertical text, sometimes it works if it is animated.

I like your site.

(the hearts are over kill but do catch your eye, would make great buttons)
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Actually, my site already has a flash detection script. You probably didn't notice because you have flash. :)
Are you referring to my site? I do not have the url on the title bar (and I'm no rookie!) :)
I have Flash installed on my Linux box running Opera and get a page that indicates that I need Flash installed to see the site. (And your little blue box that says you're a member of Onewed is not centered.) FYI.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques