sell raw video tape - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 30th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
You guys sell the raw footage? And when you buy a table you want all the sawdust and offcuts?
hehehe eloquent way to put it...

U mind if i borrow that saying??
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #17
Inner Circle

if a photographer can charge a grand for the negs, i dont see why we cant for the tapes...

I recently had a cleint chase me up for "compensation" coz of the "delays" it took for him to get his video.. funny thing was, i only recieved his music 2 weeks ago... in essence its his responsibility cosnidering teh fact he signed an agreement to say that he would provide music (which he didnt)
Anyways to my point..
I offered the raw footage to him for half price, considering he was an existing client.. but no, he wouldnt accept that..
So i said tough...

I charge $880 for this... raw footage.
I only provide 6 hours... no more.. even if i have more i wont do it.. if they want more, its charged at $132 per hour (studio rate) for each hour..

Ill explain why...

the wear and tear on the equipemnt (even though i have seperate capture decks and 2 workstations), the power, the discs, the wear and tear on my eqquipment... my time in authoring these discs (i capture MPG with Pinnacle Studio 9, then trim the fat)
this all takes time, effort and resources.
Nothign is free my friends and if we give this free.. then we lose out..
HOWEVER.. in saying.. keeping SOME things under ur hat until the time is needed pays off..

now many cases, if i am delayed by my own doing, I will gladly offer raw footage to a client who has been patient and who hasnt bitched at me. It works as a way to comepnsate, but only if its done properly. In saying that, i woudlnt offer it willy nilly to anyone, especialy those that dont read their contracts but still want compo...

I am fair to a point of being ridiculous, however we all msut draw a line as to what we will do to comensate a client. Refunds are not possible. OCnsiderng that no matter what u do, you STILL have to do the work, so refunding $$ is jsut silly.. coz then ur working for free and we all have bills to pay.. so in turn, offering additional copies, or raw footage like this gives the client something which they think has $$ value, but in fact its really not all that expensive.

This is why raw footage should be charged at no less than 800 bux.. GIVE it value and make it known as a valued product. It can then be used in other ways which will increase business or offer a "compromise" for clients who have issues.

Dont devalue it...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 04:41 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
jsut becuase at this point in time of their lives, not much is happening, they feel they can walk all over people coz by far, video and photos are teh only services the bride and grooms have one the wedding is over. so theyr esitting on their time waiting for tehir wedding archives to be delivered, and if they have no social life...
lol, right right

Quote:
...client continued to call every 3 days at 9pm precisely until her wedding was finished...
o my, yes I had that happen too, and she was a fairly good friend (of course I did it A WHOLE LOT cheaper) not musch friends anymore though...wonder why? except she called me at 2pm.

Quote:
...but whta part of a 15 page contract dont they understand?? ...
wow, that's a long contract, mine is only 5 1/2 pages! I don't mean to be snopy and all, but would you mind me taking a look at your contract, so that I may be able to cover myself more than Iam? If not that's ok...thought I would try...

Back on topic...raw footage, I like to use in case something goes wrong or a mistake I make, and I can use that as leverage to "Pay them off."
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:29 AM   #19
Inner Circle

LOL
I was exhagerating mate.. i really thought about fixing this typo, btu i got lazy.. lol

ok, my contract is in 3 parts

Part 1 (Package and Invoice details <inc extras etc final costing blah blah) -2Pages max

Part 2 is Wedding Production information <the COnditional requirements of the contract. Being the info they provide me, from names, to locations to music etc etc etc. No editing can begin begin until these conditions are met.. THis could also beconsidered the info they provide me
2Pages actual info, 1 page signing and "where did u hear about us blah blah)

Part 3 is the General Agreement, which is the info i give them. 5 Pages + 1 signing. THis covered EVERYTHING... and i mean EVERYTHING.. hell if the MC doesnt gimme a headsup and i go to take a piss, and miss a shot, im covered... this is what i mean by everything.. lol

"Back on topic...raw footage, I like to use in case something goes wrong or a mistake I make, and I can use that as leverage to "Pay them off."

I do somethign similar.. i havent made msitake yet.. (knock on wood) but with teh time it takes for me to get the stuff out to them, i use raw footage as a means to hold them off... I tell them its worth $880 bux so they believe there is value to it, and to be honest, ther eIS value to it, were talking time it takes to cpature and author to DVD, as well as the media itself..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques