DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Wild Weddings... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/67063-wild-weddings.html)

Vincent Croce May 10th, 2006 11:47 AM

Wild Weddings...

Anybody else get called by TLC (The Learning Channel) in search of blooper/outtake type wedding footage? They're buying a couple of the clips I sent them for use in the current season. Just curious how broadly they're searching.
Vin

Joe Allen Rosenberger May 10th, 2006 02:13 PM

I love that show! Havent been called but I would stongly advise everyone to ask for permission from the bride and groom before you send footage to any network. THe last thing you need is a past client really upset to see themselves or any of their guests "bloopers" on national TV.

I have a friend who is a Network News Stringer .....years ago he sent Real TV footage of some skydivers not having the most graceful landings with their parachutes. He is also a skydiver who shoots a lot of jumping footage. Point in case....he has been black balled from the skydiving community for having such footage aired. In he end.....the 800.00 he made from Real TV wasn't worth his reputation being tarnished.

So, use some common sense before you send off footage that shows some folks not at their best;)
-joe

Vincent Croce May 10th, 2006 03:32 PM

of course...

Yeah Joe, I've already got the release signed by all parties involved--they are all thrilled just to get their mugs on TV. The producer won't even accept any footage without the releases & contract signed.
If anyone has any good blooper, outtake or exotic locale wedding footage they think might be good for the show, let me know and I'll pass you the contact info. They're paying 300 a clip.
Vin

Martin Mayer May 10th, 2006 03:42 PM

Don't you guys think this gives our industry a bad name - and confirms many bride's suspicions that a wedding video is only one step up (and sometimes not even that) from a home movie, an embarrassment, and nothing they would want?

We are trying to legitimatize our craft into a memorable, entertaining, creative and desirable service, and these programs only undermine that effort. Whether or not the subject has agreed. (IHMO!)

Vincent Croce May 10th, 2006 03:52 PM

Naah--

I think there's plenty of room for a little levity in this industry. That's like saying the outtakes on a movie bring the movie industry down. We can't take ourselves too seriously, Martin. Lighten up my friend!

Joe Allen Rosenberger May 10th, 2006 04:37 PM

Yeah...Id have to agree more w/ Vincent. However....I think taking your craft serious and producing "quality" is most important.....BUT if everyone's game to get involved in a fun show, then go for it. Don't take life so serious.

I dunno.....it seems like us American's are quick to get "uptight".

Like I said before, I love that show.....and most of the moments are pretty funny. I seriosuly doubt it puts a hinder on brides wanting quality videography of their wedding. And as for wanting more respect/legitimacy as a wedding videographer.......the entire industry needs an "overhaulin" for that.....although there are some guys & gals that do top shelf work.....many many many barely do more than "uncle charlie".....and that has nothing to do with the show of topic...IMO.

Peter Jefferson May 10th, 2006 09:56 PM

lol im in aus and ive also been approached. stil waitin gon my client to say yes...

as for wild weddings in general, every second one is insane.. crazy europeans.. gotta love it..

John Harmon May 10th, 2006 10:30 PM

Hmmm...I just did one Saturday where the best man decided to change out of his tux while outside the reception hall. I happened to be out front taking a break, and I always bring the camera with me just in case something cool happens. I generally don't record things that could potentially be embarrassing because I don't want any guests mad at me, but they started shouting "WHY AREN'T YOU TAPING THIS?" OK, I turned on the camera just in time to catch the best man shakin' it in his boxers while three women cheered him on. Mind you, the temperature was about 50 F and it was a little windy. I'm not exactly sure if I should use this footage, but it's priceless. That alcohol sure is some amazin' stuff, I tell ya...

Peter Jefferson May 11th, 2006 12:50 AM

ooohh dont talk about alcohol..
a major market i have is teh Serbian community here in south west sydney... were talkn every second job or so..
however one thing they ALL have in common, is alcohol... by 10am, their all slaughtered...mums dasds, gramps, kids.. well not really kids... ROFLMAO.. bloody funny stuff i tell ya. were talking rocket fuel here... its called "Rakia" and its about 95% proof... (or about 95% pure alcohol..) bit like metholated spirits... one thing though is that everytime they see me, i "must" have a drink for luck.. and were talking 3 swigs, EVERY time i pass them...
usually by the receptin, im a little happy myself.. then again im a cheap drunk.. actually i do it out of courtesy and respect, as to them, its an insult NOT to take a swig, but now i only do it once, in front of the family, then if they ask again later, im firm about doing the job, as opposed to getting pissed.. sure i have fun, but im stil there to do a job.. lol kinda..

Vincent Croce May 11th, 2006 11:46 AM

contact info

Figured I might as well post the email I received following the phone call so John and anyone else with good bloopers can send their stuff in if they choose to. Initially I sent the clips as 2mb wmv files. When the producer liked the footage, I was told to send them in on minidv. John, yours sounds especially good.

Dear Vincent:

I am interested in acquiring clips for our second season of “Wild Weddings” to be airing on TLC. The first season of “Wild Weddings” has aired on TLC and because of the great success another season has been ordered with twice the amount of episodes. At this time we are currently searching for as many clips as possible to make this the best season of “Wild Weddings” so far.

We are looking for footage of wedding "moments" that are bizarre, funny, dramatic or dangerous. We pay a usage fee for every clip and are looking for bloopers, theme weddings, dramatic incidents, funny moments etc. from weddings, receptions and honeymoons. If you have any footage of this nature please contact me as soon as possible by phone or email.

Feel free to send footage via our DHL account to the address below. Please send to my attention and put Wild Weddings as reference when sending via DHL. We accept DV tapes or DVD. We also accept footage via email in either quicktime or wmv. Keep files 2mb or smaller when sending via email.

Thank You.

Sincerely,

Rich Kaplinski

Production Assistant,

Steve Rotfeld Productions

740 Haverford Rd.

Bryn Mawr, PA 19010

(610) 520-0671

(610) 520-0681 fax

richard@rotfeldproductions.com

Chris Hurd May 11th, 2006 12:13 PM

DHL shipping account info removed. Never a good idea to post that to an internet message board. Please share that info by private email only. Thanks,

Vincent Croce May 11th, 2006 01:03 PM

ooops...

Thanks, Chris, big mistake by me. Wasn't even thinking about the sensitivity of that info. I really appreciate you keeping a close eye out for me.
Vin