External Monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 17th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

External Monitors

Could the collective group comment on what equipment you use for externally monitoring your final video. I use Sony Vegas, and have just been using a small 13" TV for an external monitor, but it has finally given out. I am seeking advice as to what I should replace it with. Is it worth the price of broadcast monitors? If so, does anyone know a good source for these....

thanks,

Chris
Chris Sigmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #2
Kino-Eye

If you want to do critical color correction for something that will go out to DVD or broadcast, it would be prudent to make your color correction decisions using a broadcast quality monitor that has SMPTE-C phosphors for accurate color matching and the proper controls for calibrating the monitor. Video will always look different on a computer display that it does on a video monitor, so using a professional-quality video monitor rather than a television set provides a baseline standard that you can count on.

I've been using a Sony PVM-8042Q 8" Field Monitor since 1999. There are newer models on the market today to consider that range in features, inputs, and sizes. I chose the PVM-8042Q becuase I could use it as part of my editing system as well as a field monitor and larger monitors were both too expensive and I would never lug them with me for productons. The PVM-8042Q can be powered in addition to AC with either 2 batteries that slide into the monitor or via a 12 volts power connector. Features to look for when shopping for a monitor include: Component input, S-video input, any other inputs you may need, e.g. SDI, underscan, 16:9/4:3 switchable, AC and DC operation, and all the usual suspects in terms of controls including blue-gun switch.
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #3
New Boot

LCD HDTV Monitors

I looked far & wide for a replacement monitor for my 13" CRT. I wanted to get the Maxent 26" LCD TV (with every input you need except IEEE 1394) @ Costco for $485. However family and fiscal realities lead me to the ProView 17" LCD HDTV (still at 1280 x 768, w/all the inputs!!) for ~$350, again at Costco. My eye gave the 26" Maxent and the 17" Proview and 17" AOC TV's nearly identical crisp image scores. I like the ProView a great deal. I just need a third monitor out solution for my editor.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques