Iriver 895 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 18th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Iriver 895

I finally got my brand new VX2100 and Iriver's (Squid's later this week) and my computer running XP with the latest system pack doesn't recognize the Iriver. I went to Iriver.com downloaded the drivers and latest Iriver manager, but I still can't get the computer to recognize the device as anything (The device manager calls it an "unknown device"). Do I have a bad unit or is there something wrong with my computer? MP3 players should be plug and play, right?
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #2
Major Player

you would think right? I can't be much help. I recently picked up an iriver 390T (eralier version) for my daughter. the software works pretty well, but it won't copy files to the player. well it will but partway thru it says it can't connect to the player. (win98 on that machine). have the latest drivers etc.
iRiver uses a proprietary interface so the machines won't seem them without their software, which is unfortunate since its a great little gadget. Better in many ways than the Creative Zen nano I picked up for myself (no line in recording)
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Blais
MP3 players should be plug and play, right?
No, they're not. It depends on the proprietary memory they use for storage.

You still need to use the special transfer software that comes with the iRiver.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele
No, they're not. It depends on the proprietary memory they use for storage.

You still need to use the special transfer software that comes with the iRiver.
I installed the software that came with it, but my computer still won't recognize it as anything. What will compound my headache is the fact that these are refurbished and purchased on ebay.....
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Trustee

Are you certain that you are using the correct cable? In my experience, the connection cable looks alot like a few other USB to (-insert digital media device name here-) cables, but only the cable designed for the iRiver allows it to be correctly recognized.
-Jon
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My iRiver wasn't recognized at first because Windows had a device conflict with my other USB devices (my memory card reader used up 4 drive letters and Windows wanted to use the resource of "Drive G" for the iRiver). I simply switched the plug it used and viola! The iRiver magically appeared to the software. Then again, my computer is very much a mutt (as I don't believe in name brand computers) and has done many wonderous things.

-Michael
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I had a problem with mine being detected on any port except one of the main ports directly on the motherboard. Any of the remote ports on the case would not detect it properly.
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you forum....I'll try again tonight!

If you're a praying person, pray for me.....
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Have both an 895 and 899 and both work fine (with the IRiver software) on any of my pcs, which are all running WinXP Pro sp2. I'm sure you'll figure it out--possibly touchy usb ports, as mentioned earlier...
Vin
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Touchy USB port....another problem solved by the forum!!
Sheldon Blais is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques