groan.... i was volunteered for a wedding - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 16th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #31
Warden

Don't worry, I've only seen one or two wedding photographers beaten up my the Bride and her mother.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 12:06 AM   #32
Wrangler

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Well, the deed has been done, and we lived!
At this point, I haven't watched the footage, so I shouldn't say anything too boastful... :)

Before I start, huge thanks to Keith Loh, who came out and helped me shoot, gather gear, and avoid general panic, for about 8 straight hours. As long as your tapes aren't hours of people's feet, Keith, You Da' Man! ;)

First off, it was exhausting, but kind of fun. Certainly something different to be involved in such a monumental event in a couple's life.
Secondly, it was exhausting. I handheld most of the reception, and by the end my right arm felt like I had torn a muscle. It still hurts right now, a day after the fact.
Third, thanks to everyone from the forum who gave their advice. It all came in handy, and hopefully it will show in the final edit.

However, one thing no one mentioned, is that no matter what you do, stuff will go wrong that is out of your control. Here's the day's big blooper.
The ceremony was slated to start at 1pm. At one pm, we had 2 of the 3 cameras set up, mic on the groom, sound check, everything was good. The plan was the groom would give me notice before the actual start (as the grooms party would come out first), and I would start the balcony camera running, then take my camera to the middle of the altar and film the procession coming down. No problem, right? What could go wrong?
My fiancee comes running up to me in a panic and tells me they've started. WTF, the groom's party is still in the back room!?! I look up, the start of the brides party is coming down the aisle. No groom's party in site. Great, I think. I run to the balcony cam, and let keith get the bride from a side angle, so I missed one of the most important shots of the day.
Why did this go wrong?
Simple. Human stupidity from some moron that shouldn't have had anything to do with the ceremony.
The choir that was singing had a list of songs. The bride was supposed to come out on a certain song. Someone in the bridal party thought they were playing the brides song and started them coming out, when in fact they were still two songs away from it, and the groom was still in the back. Stupid M#*$er F*#$er.
So what did we do? Same thing any decent film crew would have done... Reshot the head-on shots of the bride's entrance after everyone left the church. :)
Anyway, we'll see how it all cuts together when I get to it later this week.
Old February 24th, 2003, 06:03 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Dylan,
CONGRATS! You lived to fight another day!
1st rules of weddings is Murphy's Law; What can go wrong, will! It sounds like you recovered nicely.
I know how you feel, it takes my body a day to recover as well, it's just something I can never get used to no matter how many weddings I do.
Well once again Congrats and when can we expect to see the new business card;

Dylan Couper
Wedding Videographer
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #34
Air China Pilot

You missed the part where I stepped on the Bride's train.
Old February 24th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Keith,
either she didn't notice you did that, she was a very nice bride OR you're posting from the local hospital while in traction.
I did it once, almost imperceptible right on the very end of the train, not even a full foot print and no mark at all on the dress...you would have thought I had just told her her whole family had been eaten by a pack of wild dogs. If looks could have killed, my wife would be a widow. Ah weddings, ain't they something?!?!?!
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #36
RED Code Chef

Glad you survived Dylan! And you know what they say: " what
doesn't kill you makes you stronger " ..... GO!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 11:44 PM   #37
Wrangler

Keith, I think a lot of people stepped on it too. It was pretty big. I nearly stepped on it while I was doing a circling shot around her. Still, if she didn't say anything, she didn't notice. :)
Old May 7th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #38
Quantum Productions

Hello Dylan!

Sorry, I've been away from this forum for a long while!
(baby due any day now)!
I saw my quote you posted. Did I really write all that? I forgot already.

I should of sent you one of my DVD master wedding copies.
If you ever want one to view let me know.
I have many weddings for this year already booked.

My biggest production is coming soon.
"The delivery room"!
1-XL1,
1-35mm (b&w)
1-digital still

All on full auto as the other hand is for the wife....
Old September 10th, 2003, 12:11 AM   #39
Quantum Productions

Dylan...

How did the final wedding video turn out?
Main thing...was the bride happy with the video??? (groom doesn't matter!)

I'm thinking of retiring next year from wedding videos! DVD editing has me busy (editing) until next year! (I want to sell everything and buy more band/audio recording gear for my "real love" !) :)
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:08 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Hey Adam...

How did the BABY thing go? Boy, girl, details? Were you allowed to film in the delivery room? How did it all turn out? Come on... spill. We are 'family' on the forum... you gotta share some details. Are you getting any sleep yet? We didn't for the first 10 months but you do survive :-)

And Dylan how did that wedding video turn out anyway...??? I don't care WHO volunteers me for a wedding be it stills or video...NO. Just a flat N...O. (glad to pass on work or hire a known shooter under the Fat Cat Media company send out). If you really do not want to shoot one... just say "I shoot stuff all the time and would like to enjoy the ceremony. If I'm working it won't be the same". That always gets me off the hook.

Then I bring a small camera or 2 and shoot what I want. Edit it the way I want, no stress, no deadline and viola! A wonderful unexpected 'after ceremony' wedding gift. Plus you can spend time on the 'real' story... not the *usual* yup here is everyone standing like a cardboard cut out type stuff. Kids and older folks... always concentrate on those after of course the lovely couple :) Kids grow SOOOO fast and older folks ....well you never know how long they are with us.

Hope it all went well for both you fellas. Let us know. Send info and post photos!
Roze Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:35 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Congrats on the wedding. I shot my first one a few weeks ago. It was hard but at least I got to use a friend's DVX100. I actually got paid a bit for it even though it was a favor. I only had one camera so not a whole lot of options for editing. It was also good that they knew before hand that I didn't know anything hardly, I wasn't getting paid really, might mess up, and they weren't having anyone tape the wedding professionally anyway.

Don't know about you but if someone showed up to my wedding with the setup you had, XL1's, mics etc...I would be expecting a damn good wedding video. Hope that doesn't put pressure on you but hey you didn't get paid.
Jake McMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #42
Wrangler

Hey Adam, long time no see!

Thanks for the interest everyone.
The wedding turned out near perfectly. I should post a highlight clip form it on my website. Here are some screengrabs from it:

http://www.pyroglyphfilms.com/galler.../wedding14.gif

http://www.pyroglyphfilms.com/galler...s/wedding6.gif

http://www.pyroglyphfilms.com/galler.../wedding16.gif
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:32 PM   #43
Regular Crew

That cardboard cut-out looks very lifelike! :)

I like the last one with the hands.
Old September 10th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #44
Quantum Productions

I had a boy, he's 4 months old now. Quinn is his name. Lot's of work, less sleep but worth it all! :) The footage of the birth (with my XL1) turned out great! I had a big private room with lots of window light in the afternoon! I used my 3x wide for the whole thing. I had my hand over top and did alot of live moving! The lens almost touch the baby's head while it was half out! (ooooh gross!) I taped with good taste though. Not too much nudity!
No one has seen the video except the mother and I! I will edit it to DVD soon (after all my weddings) so other family members may watch! I keep playing it in slow-mo when the baby slides out! Gross but cool! Also during this I was snapping shots with a digital still and 35mm! There was enough nurses helping her out. I felt like I was at work! It helped keep me from getting to emotional! (there was lots of time for that latter).

Sorry for that...now back to the original post!

Dylan's pics look great! I know that "look" anywhere! (oh ya we all have XL1's! :) Glad your wedding turned out well! After all, it's probably a once in a life time event for them!

Just staring to ediit wedding 2 of 5 now! Should be done by Xmas!
Old July 30th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #45
Trustee

Hey Dylan, Congrats on the wedding. I did one a few weeks ago in Breckenridge, CO. The father of the bride had the bright idea of having me shoot from a ladder strapped to a pine tree (it was an outdoor wedding). Only thing was...you even been strapped to a pine tree when the wind decides to start blowing...talk about virdigo!! Anyway, it was a two camera shoot and the B & G loved it. It was an all day affair. Boys golf game in the am, ladies tea, preparation, ceramony, reception. A long day. And, like you my wife volunteered me. Soo, she got to run along with me doing the stills. Had a great time shooting the dances with the 3X. I'll bet you did such a great job that you will be "asked again" Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques