I encountered my first picky Mom. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 27th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #1
Major Player

I encountered my first picky Mom.

To make this long story short I offer a package that's under $1000 (I do charge more as well) to film quinceanera's and last nite I had a appointment with a Mom. She looked through my photography portfolio, and wasn't all that happy with it. (Didn't like the journalistic style) Then she watched the sample video with her daughter of a previous quince. They watch the reception part and said it was very short dvd (entirity of it) I told them the ceremony is on the other disc. They left that as that. Then she had me sit there and watch her previous daughter quinceanera. It was on VHS tape and it was LONG. She told me this is the way she wanted her video. In short 8hrs of courage. She wanted all 8hrs edited with music and titles. When I finish a project they come out at most 2 1/2 hrs long and as short as 30mins. She wants 8hrs. That's 4 dvds or a really long VHS tape. I don't see it worth it, to take this project. Thinking of giving it to my assisstant who will do it for the package price.

I have a question and I'm looking for your opinions. What sells you as a videographer? Your style or the fact that you just can record a event? My gut feeling and experience is the first one style. As a result people desire that style and will pay for that, if not go elsewhere. I want to hear from the community. Thanks
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #2
Wrangler

I would say to them that you are unable to offer what they are requesting and refer them to someone else. Your honestly might go a long way towards softening up the mom. Certainly tell her that this can't be done for the package price. If she wants to pay more, give her the 8 hours.

From your post however, it sounds like you might not be right for this client. Don't take it personally, it's like finding a different doctor if you're not comfortable with the one you have. Doesn't make your doctor a bad doctor, just not the right one for you to feel comfortable.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

not worth it. Dont feel bad about it. Im sure she will demand more stuffs after the final product has been delivered like asking for more copies or maybe ask a version of NTSC and PAL.
Billy Mallari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa
She wanted all 8hrs edited with music and titles.
Was her other daughter's done that way? (music and titles throughout).

I'd offer her your standard package as it already stands or 8 hours of essentially raw footage with just a tad bit of clean up editing. Tell her anything beyond that would require more compensation for editing time.

It beats a flat-out, "take a hike lady - you're crazy". :)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #5
Major Player

I say take the job, and just make it great, and get paid the 1000 bucks.

Then break into their house and take the copy, then leave the country...

Otherwise, dont do it, or state that for 8hrs, the package price would skyrocket, if they refuse, reffer them elsewhere...
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
What sells you as a videographer? Your style or the fact that you just can record a event? My gut feeling and experience is the first one style. As a result people desire that style and will pay for that, if not go elsewhere. I want to hear from the community. Thanks
A lot of people see some of the beautiful highlight clips (mainly weddings) online and know that THAT is what they want. Unfortunately, in some areas I don't think the idea of paying the price for that kind of video has caught on. It will take time and conditioning before some markets catch up--if they ever do.

Just last week I talked with a client quite similar to yours. The dad couldn't believe it when I quoted $800. I didn't hear back. :)

Because weddings/quinceaneras aren't really my passion I ask people what they're looking for. If it's "evidence" (lol) I can do that within the pricing they like. (I always throw in a dreamy highlight video.) If it's the WOW package like what they can find online, I refer them to other places that charge three/four times what I do. I don't network with serious wedding/quinceanera video guys around here, but I have a hunch they're quite a bit busier than I am. I've drawn the conclusion that my "better than Uncle Steve but not dream video" approach doesn't really have a niche. :)
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #7
Major Player

My favorite encounter was when a parent wrote down a figure of about $200 AUD for one of my $1000 packages because she did the "math."

For a 20min highlight dvd plus all the raw footage on Mini DV tape plus a lifetime replacement policy on the 4 copies I give out, the lady figured that, if I use a basic printable DVD, a plastic sleeve for the DVD, and a 2 hour reel it would be cheaper that way.

I mentioned to her labour and time costs and she scoffed at me saying "You're only doing this for the money. Some of us work you know."

I sent her away and kindly rang the bride, telling her I was declining. I then made recomendations to all the videographers I knew and several days later I got a call from the bride to do her wedding. I asked if her mother was going to visit, she said yes... I hung up.
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #8
Major Player

You guys made my day. Thank you

I love Leo advice the best. The only problem is it's not worth leaving the country over. Lol. Thanks for the input, I prob, won't take it. If they do want me, I'll hand it over to my guy, he'll do it that cheap.

Hey Rick, her daughters video was done that exact way. What makes things veery frustrating is they Charged her 1200 for video and photographs. 3 VHS tapes 300 pictures and photo album. It's pretty much to much work for little money.

I'm tired, gotta film a wed tommorrow.
Aight
Old May 28th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Pepingco
My favorite encounter was when a parent wrote down a figure of about $200 AUD for one of my $1000 packages because she did the "math."

For a 20min highlight dvd plus all the raw footage on Mini DV tape plus a lifetime replacement policy on the 4 copies I give out, the lady figured that, if I use a basic printable DVD, a plastic sleeve for the DVD, and a 2 hour reel it would be cheaper that way.

I mentioned to her labour and time costs and she scoffed at me saying "You're only doing this for the money. Some of us work you know."

I sent her away and kindly rang the bride, telling her I was declining. I then made recomendations to all the videographers I knew and several days later I got a call from the bride to do her wedding. I asked if her mother was going to visit, she said yes... I hung up.
Wow..

Ive had attitudes like that, and i just turned around and asked how much they were paying for their photos.. usually after they give me the figure (usually twice as much as what im asking), i then ask, what makes video any different?
that usually shuts them up..

what shits me about "video" is the attitude people have that "were having fun" or that "its just a hobby" but they dont see that i live with this 20hrs a day 7 days a week

Wherabouts are u Joe?? we should hook up for a coffee

as for an 8hr EDIT.. forget it.. i dont even do this for weddings...
u have to consider that every hour u film, will take approximately 10hours to capture, edit process, transcode and author to DVD..
for 1000 it wouldnt be worth it..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
...(Mom) wants 8hrs. That's 4 dvds or a really long VHS tape. I don't see it worth it, to take this project. Thinking of giving it to my assisstant who will do it for the package price.
8 hours of finished product means you're rolling and using every minute of a full workday. How could that even be possible? Or is this something that extends over a week or more so the 8 hours she wantsd is distilled from a couple of week's worth of shooting? sheeesh! <lol>
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #11
Major Player

Hey Steve,
This is a days work. Recording the entire day. It's unreal. There are guys out here that do this style of work and their work is not very profressional at all. I sat down and watched her daughters video for a hour and we were just reaching the ceremony part. No fun. It's possible to do but as a videographer this would run her min $2,000 and extra on top of that. She's not intrested in the price and I'm not intrested in their event really. I just don't understand why there are some out there that prefer this style.
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote her high, if she slides away, so be it.
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #13
New Boot

As a fairly new member of the wedding videography sect I reckon if someone asks for all 8 hours of footage - give it to them! But point out how much an hour is the going rate for editing, the cost of the stock tapes, how long it takes to offload the footage, the rendering processes, how much your camera cost and the fact that you have 6 daughters yourself and need to pay for their weddings one day! If she doesn't like it - tell her to buy a £500 camcorder and do it herself.

Just my professional opnion of course.

Cheers
Brian Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Wow, how good (really) of a job can you do when you have a 8 hour completed feature to finish? (for $1000 no less).

I would refuse he job, or charge her accordingly (at least 2K) for this wedding. 8 hours is a LOT of editing to do, and I personally don't think it's worth the $1000.

I have no horror stories about bad customers yet - but I have a priest that may be a problem for this next wedding I'm doing in a few weeks. He's very particular on where he wants things. . . .

me
Ryan DesRoches is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques