DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Anybody paying for that "other forum" ?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/68290-anybody-paying-other-forum.html)

Doug Puckett May 27th, 2006 10:58 AM

Anybody paying for that "other forum" ??

I hope it OK to ask this question here but the owner of the other wedding forum has made it a pay-to-post forum and Im afraid it might ruin it. The cost of it is prohibiting me from joining and I was wondering if others here who also frequent it have forked over the cash or, like me, not.

--doug

Joe Allen Rosenberger May 27th, 2006 12:24 PM

Well, im not sure what other forum you are talking about but i do not think its unreasonable for these guys...any of them to charge a little something. just think of all the free advice you get from other professionals, which in return saves you time, heartache.....and time again, to me.....that has a price. we just fortunate to have a site like this one that doesnt charge.

Darrell Aubert May 27th, 2006 12:46 PM

I'm still debating over paying or not. The problem I'm having is that you can view the forums for free but you can only post if you pay. To me, this makes no sense. Why should I pay to post my knowledge so that the owner of that forum can make money off of me?

Rick Steele May 27th, 2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell Aubert
I'm still debating over paying or not. The problem I'm having is that you can view the forums for free but you can only post if you pay. To me, this makes no sense. Why should I pay to post my knowledge so that the owner of that forum can make money off of me?

Greetings Darrell "The Terror". RT here (from that other forum).

I paid, mainly for "past debts owed" as I've learned a lot there. But I'm worried now that with literally thousands of experienced posters now exlcuded the site will die. It's a closed society now and I think the new memebership fee was spurred on by just a few who couldn't scroll their mouse and skip the trolls. (And "troll-wise", that site was relatively clean compared to a lot of other places).

Time will tell, but it's looking kind of "empty" over there right now. I doubt 50-100 members will keep it afloat in its current form.

Colvin Eccleston May 27th, 2006 12:57 PM

That is my major gripe with it. Lurkers could rip off any idea you shared without giving back. So now you have to pay to help your competitors? No thanks. If it had been a pay to enter private members forum, I might have paid up but as it stands I don't get anything for my money. Plus it is still not real name.

Darrell Aubert May 27th, 2006 01:06 PM

I think it was a very foolish move for Hal to make to pay to post. I agree with Rick that 50 - 100 members will not be able to support the forum. All the other forums (Marketing and Business, Underwater video, etc.) Are going to have zero posts as the only major traffic is in the wedding forum. I know there are a lot of lurkers on VU in my area because I've tracked them through my webstats. The idea of now paying to share my work and ideas so that others in my market who don't pay can steal them is downright ridiculous. At this point, there won't be a "Darrell Aubert" on VU any longer... but that diesn't mean I still won't be posting....

Colvin Eccleston May 27th, 2006 01:10 PM

I hope he will see sense and build a pay as you go forum for the next stage up but as you said, it is the posters that make the forum and they can go anywhere they like

Jordan Oplinger May 28th, 2006 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell Aubert

Jordan O. here.

I'm in the same boat. I really don't feel like paying someone else to allow me share knowledge and opinions.

I might hang out here for a bit, but I'm not to crazy about the moderator here.... :P, just kidding!

Jeff Bradt May 28th, 2006 12:26 PM

Well I just paid but I have real reservations on whether or not it will survive anything like it was before. I think a lot of people were irritated that it was done w/out any warning. The money is not a problem or an issue to me. I just don't think enough new people will pay it to keep it fresh and active. And Darrel is right about having to pay to share your stuff but watching it is free?? Isn't that backwards? But I started in this place and it has a lot to offer too.

Michelle Lewis May 28th, 2006 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Puckett
I hope it OK to ask this question here but the owner of the other wedding forum has made it a pay-to-post forum and Im afraid it might ruin it. The cost of it is prohibiting me from joining and I was wondering if others here who also frequent it have forked over the cash or, like me, not.

--doug

I won't pay. It's against my religion. I've never paid for an online site and never will. I discovered the other forum two weeks ago. In those two weeks I was treated like a troublemaker/troll by board regulars. To this day, I don't understand the venom directed toward me for the TWO POSTS I started. It's probably for the best. If they want a closed forum for old-timers, they are entitled. They should have created one without the lame-brained idea of paying $25 a pop to make some guy rich.

Michelle Lewis May 28th, 2006 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Steele
Greetings Darrell "The Terror". RT here (from that other forum).

I paid, mainly for "past debts owed" as I've learned a lot there. But I'm worried now that with literally thousands of experienced posters now exlcuded the site will die. It's a closed society now and I think the new memebership fee was spurred on by just a few who couldn't scroll their mouse and skip the trolls. (And "troll-wise", that site was relatively clean compared to a lot of other places).

Time will tell, but it's looking kind of "empty" over there right now. I doubt 50-100 members will keep it afloat in its current form.

You owed who? The owner for creating the site? That makes no sense. There are probably many, many sites you are a member of. Why do you believe you owe someone $25 because you post on their message board? Do you want to give dvinfo another 25 bucks?

Doug Puckett May 28th, 2006 03:07 PM

sad......

I cant help but feel I've lost my second home. I realize I can still read the forum but I just thing most of the regulars are history and it will never be the same!!

What really sucks though is you have to pay a fee AND sort through all the damn stickies and advertising.

If it woulda been $5.00 or $10.00, I wouldnt even think about it but $25.00 is just not worth it in my book!

Michelle Lewis May 28th, 2006 03:52 PM

Once his advertisers get a hold of his new pay site, they won't pay him to market their wares much longer.

I think most long-term posters might feel put off buy the drastic nature of the change. Yesterday posting, today locked out.

Glen Elliott May 28th, 2006 04:45 PM

The other has long been known for having a lower "signal to noise" ratio. Part of it is the administrators' preference for different kind of atmosphere and the other because of a known ongoing troll problem that seemed to escalate in the past few months.

Whether you agree or disagree with the actions the other forum took it's essentially a moot point. DVinfo is still a free forum with a huge member base of talented professionals in their respective fields of Digital Video Production. If you want to support DVinfo simply purchase your equipment from DVinfo sponsors.

Meanwhile it's not worth vacillating over this other topic. Lastly, thanks all for your participation and support on DVinfo and it's sponsors.